JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Was just about to mention the shooting sticks.

Unless you are planning to plant yourself and lay prone to use a pack or bipod, you will most likely be standing when you find an animal.

But maybe that's just me, I like to stay moving when I'm hunting minus some stops here and there.
100%
Shooting sticks are definitely something ive been using hunting for a few years now and will be practicing with them.
I tend to think of them close enough to a bipod to be the same, but taller.

100%
Shooting sticks are definitely something ive been using hunting for a few years now and will be practicing with them.
I tend to think of them close enough to a bipod to be the same, but taller.
Good sticks are closer to shooting from a tripod. Tripod with a good bag is another option to try that works pretty good for hunting.

Good sticks are closer to shooting from a tripod. Tripod with a good bag is another option to try that works pretty good for hunting.
Ive never used a tripod so I'll have to graduate to trying them sometime. My shooting sticks arent the best, I think I only paid about 20 bucks for them, Cabelas brand.... but they are ultra light for how I primarily hunt on foot.
Im actually really impressed how even thin UL shooting sticks help stabilize aiming. I do need to practice more with them though but my target practicing has been sidelined the past year with learning to reload and related range sessions. My efforts will pay off, I cant wait to get back to some practical target practice....
1679196490879.png

Bi-pods work best when loaded.
Often not easy with whatever it's on at times.

For bench tops I have a tie down strap that the legs can lean into.
For prone I have a mat with straps in the front for bi-pods.
A couple of tent pegs with some para cord works too with no mat.
Gonna use the tie down tomorrow…..thx

Unless I missed it I didn't see anyone mention shooting in the kneeling position.

Very stable, and no extra encumbrances needed.

I'll admit to shooting off of a benchrest for 'sighting in' - be it with scope or 'open irons' but once that is done I'm back to 'offhand' shooting.

Last Edited:
For hunting purposes... sighting in with sandbags and shooting varying distances to familiarize yourself with your rifles characteristics with a particular load.

After that, practicing with a sling and offhand. What you have available to you while hunting largely depends on what you are hunting and typical distances you will be shooting. Terrain also plays a part.

I say, practice under the most likely situation you will face while hunting, which is likely to be less than "ideal'. A sling is your best friend. It's always with you and it's always "ready".

At far distances and good cover, you may have the time to deploy a stick/bipod, dink around with your scope setting clicks, go prone or move to a tree brace, but more often than not... you will find yourself in questionable cover and any movement will be quickly spotted. You have to act quickly with the least pronounced movement as possible.

Even if you "think" you have the time and distance to go unnoticed, that's not a given and you're just as likely to blow a shot opportunity by dinking around trying to get into an "optimal" shooting position.

Last Edited:
A bench tripod (with bag for the platform) and rear "ear-bag" are best on the bench for testing the rifle (group size), and learning the trigger. Light guns very often benefit from being held down to the front bag with moderate pressure (assuming this does not create inconsistent pressure on the forearm toward the barrel).

"Lead Sleds" and other rifle-holding contraptions serve to remove the human element (that will be a significant factor in the field) from the process and results.

In my experience, a bipod (Harris type) attached to the forearm of a big game rifle is less than useless. It changes the entire balance of the rifle in action. (Swinging to lead running game, the mount to the shoulder to shoot, etc.). Added weight to the gun while carrying also is an obvious detriment. From prone or sitting position shooting at moving game, the older (Harris) models do not allow for pivoting to follow the animal. A hunter with a newer (swivel) model attached to his gun finds out pretty quick that it is not perfect, and the bipod still dictates (or limits) the motion of the gun to some degree. The "altitude" of the rifle from the ground is likewise never just right for the shooter ("notches" on the legs dictate it), and not instantly modified.

Best for the big game field are shooting sticks of a lightweight design and collapsible. A practiced shooter will NEVER shoot at game from the offhand position when other positions like sitting or prone (and/or a rest) can be obtained swiftly. Kneeling is only marginally better than offhand, and should also be avoided when better choices exist.

The sticks weigh nothing (aluminum arrow-shaft material), accommodate all altitude requirements for prone through kneeling positions and are infinite and instant when adjustment is needed. They come to ready very fast, no sound of springs stretching or clunking/snapping into position. They are apart from interfering in the natural and learned balance of the gun in use. They can be rapidly handed to a hunter not so equipped.

Practice is necessary, but not onerous, and improvement in time and technique toward the well-placed shot comes fast. Essential equipment.

In my experience, a bipod (Harris type) attached to the forearm of a big game rifle is less than useless. It changes the entire balance of the rifle in action. (Swinging to lead running game, the mount to the shoulder to shoot, etc.). Added weight to the gun while carrying also is an obvious detriment. From prone or sitting position shooting at moving game, the older (Harris) models do not allow for pivoting to follow the animal. A hunter with a newer (swivel) model attached to his gun finds out pretty quick that it is not perfect, and the bipod still dictates (or limits) the motion of the gun to some degree. The "altitude" of the rifle from the ground is likewise never just right for the shooter ("notches" on the legs dictate it), and not instantly modified.
This has been my experience with my Harris bipod, Ive hardly used it hunting as it adds weight and messes with the slung rifle uncomfortably. I do think in some situations it would be useful if shooting across a draw but anything on the ground prone gets obstructed by vegetation. This is why I ended up with shooting sticks and continue to carry those.

I like the Harris bipods as I have made some great shots in the field with them, but I guess it depends on he rifle and personal preferences. I usually only use them in more open country environs. I have also shot some great groups from the bench using a Harris. As always ymmv.

I like the Harris bipods as I have made some great shots in the field with them, but I guess it depends on he rifle and personal preferences. I usually only use them in more open country environs. I have also shot some great groups from the bench using a Harris. As always ymmv.
In regards to the shot itself (as you describe), they certainly are not useless. I do employ them in Prairie Dog towns, where the shot is practically all that is done.

And for a prone shot on big game where time allows, I forgo a bipod OR sticks, and utilize my daypack for a forward bag. It manipulates easily for elevation, and makes for a VERY good rest, approaching what is obtainable on a bench.

granted this is from limited range use. The Harris mid-length bipod from bench out to 200yds with either 308 or 223 worked well for me, especially when taking care to NOT load the bipod into any stressed artifact by pushing or pulling/etc . Mine was quite satisfactory when simply leaving the weight of the rifle alone & without addition gravitational enhancements.

For sighting in, I'm in the sandbags contingent. Bought a Lead Sled - hated it - sold it. For hunting I sometimes attach an extendable Harris bi-pod to my rifle and nearly always have my backpack. My "go to" is the backpack, maybe on the ground or a stump. Sometimes it's the bi-pod with the backpack supporting the gun butt. Sometimes the bi-pod without the backpack if the bi-pod legs are extended. Of course, if it's a close shot, then offhand. Although, if a rest is handy and the target isn't spooked, I'll use it even on a close shot.

Im aware that bipods are very useful in some situations, and ive been in a couple when I didnt have it attached. I had to lie prone cause the bull was looking for me. Shooting sticks would have raised me up too much exposing me.

Overall, i think shokting sticks are way more useful though, and with practice I can make the rare prone shot with just my sling.

I do want to try the UL bipod ive bookmarked, just its pricetag keeps eluding me for now.

Likely if you have time to use a bipod (deploy one and get it adjusted), you are not in a time sensitive situation. If that is the likely scenario, I would look at quick attach bipod options. The two I would recommend would be a piccatiny or ARCA mount solution. You can usually add rails of either type to your firearm easily these days. I can attach my ARCA mount bipod to my rifle in about 2 seconds or remove/adjust its position on the rifle in the same amount of time. If this scenario fits your use case, I would look at a more well known and recognized bipod to the north American market like an Atlas, MDT, Thunderbeast or Accu-Tac. I personally have experience with Atlas but am looking to try out an MDT and Thunderbeast this year. Then just carry the bipod in your daypack so you don't have that added weight and awkwardness on the end of your forearm.

+1 for bags.
I enjoy bipods but I get more wobble.
Yup. And if you want a bipod that you can pre load I would get ready to spend some cash. Harris bipods are pretty low on the quality spectrum. They work but they aren't the best.

I use both, but I always thought that a rig like this would be nice for casual shooting off the bench.
View attachment 1385899
This is a set up I use for prairie dog hunting and getting groups when developing loads. I slightly modified the front rest to have a one handed elevation control lever. I can run the full range of up and down with a lever that moves about 60 degrees. My shooting chair swivels and with the one handed control for elevation I can make precision shots on the fly.
The rifle just lays in the front rest and sits in the rear bag. I do have a slider on the butt stock so it recoils straight back though. I only make contact with the gun using my trigger hand and my cheek.

Harris bipods are pretty low on the quality spectrum.
I was going to respond to this with "Yeah, but they're a decent product for the money." Then I went to Amazon and Midway to look at what they are going for these days (I've had mine a long time). :eek: I think I only paid around $30 for the one I have. I don't have turrets on my scope or do any real long-range shooting, so I've been pretty happy with the quality and reliability of my Harris bipod - for what I paid for it. Other than coyotes, I don't really take shots much over 300 yards on game animals. Of late, most of my shots are under 50 yards because I'm usually bowhunting. :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top