JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a good Harris bipod but it has a little flex forward and back, Id probably preload it back or I might just use all sandbags front and back.

Whats better for shooting for groups, a bipod or sandbags?

I shoot from bags, mostly. I've never found bipods to be that stable, unless you've tied them off to a shooting mat and you're really pushing into it. Even then, I can barely touch my rifle and keep myself as far out of the equation as possible if I'm using a bag.

I've found the cuddle bag from Cole Tac to be worth it, paired with their woobie at the bottom of the stock

Also, using a pack as a rest is not all that uncommon…

I don't own a single bipod cuz they aren't my thing.

Sling or a pack for me in the field. Sand bags on a bench.

I kept the application out because I wanted to hear unbiased opinion on if one had an advantage over the other.

To add context I am a hunter. It sounds like sandbags have an advantage off the bench, a bipod or pack in the field.

If you think a bipod has flex fore & aft, wait until you try sandbags…

I'd suggest shooting groups from the condition & position most similar to the way you plan to use the rifle. If the final plan is To Shoot Small Groups, which is just fine as a plan, I'd suggest getting an adjustable benchrest and a good rear bunny ear bag, or a dern Ed Lead Sled, and shoot in comfort at the bench

Having done benchrest games for awhile, years ago, I now shoot my test groups off a bipod, either prone or from the bench. Because my rifles are shot off bipods or just a front bag in matches.

This type of rest, and a rear bag, is fairly common for top tier precision shooting from a bench:
l_749122023_1.jpg
ETA: Non-competition shooting, depending on rules.

I have a good Harris bipod but it has a little flex forward and back, Id probably preload it back or I might just use all sandbags front and back.

Good question...
I think a start to answering that would be to watch YouTube videos of competitive shooters and see what they use.

It sounds like the best precision comes from a formal front rest, so then without that sandbags sound more precise than a bipod.

Both. The use of both will make for an excellent and stable shooting platform when utilized properly. You should be using both if shooting from a bench or prone. The use of one, the other or both will then be situational dependent when your kneeling, sitting, barricades, etc.... Research long range forums and youtube for how to video's and posts on long range shooting, NRL, PRS, etc.... While you might not be shooting long range the principles transfer over and will provide you the knowledge to properly utilize bipods and bags.

I wouldn't mind trying a tripod someday but for my style of backpack hunting it wouldn't be practical.
This weekend I'm going to try to get to my range, I'll be shooting from a bench out to 300 to final zero my new handload. As the snow melts I will be shooting from backpack and bipod out in the area I hunt at various ranges and terrain.

I have a decent Harris bipod but its heavy. Ive been looking at one of these Backlandz models. Made in New Zeleand they are the lightest bipod Ive found and I like how simple they are.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top