Ruger 10/22 Magnum? Who has one?

Reactions
O see them on gunbroker going for well over $1,000. I am not very familiar with the round.

Tell me what you know.

If you have one, tell me how you like it. How does the 22 magnum compare to the 22lr?

Reactions
O see them on gunbroker going for well over $1,000. I am not very familiar with the round.

Tell me what you know.

If you have one, tell me how you like it. How does the 22 magnum compare to the 22lr?
I only have two 10/22's, none of which are magnums. Friend has one but have never shot it. Maybe you can look for the ballistics. I just bought a NAA .22 WMR and loaded it with Hornady Critical Defense 45 Gr FTX.
From a 24" barrel it shows 1700 fps at the muzzle, 1222 fps @ 100 yds and 980 fps @ 200 yds.
From a 1 7/8" barrel it shows 1000 fps at the muzzle, 926 fps @ 100 yds and 868 fps @ 200 yds.

They don't give the Ft lbs at any range but I guess it's hard to measure something that low!

Not cheap at about $17 a box of 50 either.

I carry the NAA in my front pocket as a backup to my Kimber .45. I know it's not much but it's better than nothing.

On edit:
Just reading the 2013 Guns & Ammo Handguns magazine. In an article on ".22 for Defense" they state that:
"Hornaday engineers were im-
pressed by the new .22 WMR FTX
performance in testing and found
that it's terminal ballistics were
directly comparable to the impact
effect of the .380 Auto Critical
Defense load. Fired into calibrated
ballistic gelatin, a 90 grain .380
Critical Defense bullet at 896 fps
from a 2.75-inch-barreled Ruger
LCP penetrates about 10 inches.
The 45-grain .22 WMR Critical
Defense bullet at 1,038 fps from a
1.875-inch-barreled S&W 351 PD
penetrates 9.5 inches. In volu-
metric terms, the primary-upset
wound channels in the critical first
5 inches of penetration are also
nearly the same. I wouldn't want
to be standing in front of either one
of them."

Reactions
I have a heavy barreled laminate Remington 597 in 22 mag. Probably the most accurate rimfire I have ever shot and it's a freakin automatic. You are obviously gonna get a lot more range and power out of a mag compared to a lr. If you were thinking about buying the 10/22 I would look at the volquartsen or the magnum research before I sported that kind of money for a 10/22.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Project Appleseed
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    My Go To For FTF Transfers and The only FFL I ship to.
    I use a Cut Above for Everything firearm related. I'm in there for something at least weekly. The team is great and the prices are great. You...
  • A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    They make transfers very easy
    My preferred place for transfers. The staff has always been very friendly. Even with the background checks sometimes taking forever, they are...
  • A Cut Above Pawn
    1.00 star(s)
    met a member to sell a gun
    worst experience I have ever had treated as tho i was stealing from them have you ever met someone and with that initial moment you know there's...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome store
    been shopping here for years now, so has my grandfather. they provide excellent services
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Vendor
    I have not been to the shop yet but have purchased from him online, and all I can say is PERFECT! You could not ask for a nicer, more helpful guy...
Top Bottom