JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
O see them on gunbroker going for well over $1,000. I am not very familiar with the round.

Tell me what you know.

If you have one, tell me how you like it. How does the 22 magnum compare to the 22lr?

O see them on gunbroker going for well over $1,000. I am not very familiar with the round.

Tell me what you know.

If you have one, tell me how you like it. How does the 22 magnum compare to the 22lr?
I only have two 10/22's, none of which are magnums. Friend has one but have never shot it. Maybe you can look for the ballistics. I just bought a NAA .22 WMR and loaded it with Hornady Critical Defense 45 Gr FTX.
From a 24" barrel it shows 1700 fps at the muzzle, 1222 fps @ 100 yds and 980 fps @ 200 yds.
From a 1 7/8" barrel it shows 1000 fps at the muzzle, 926 fps @ 100 yds and 868 fps @ 200 yds.

They don't give the Ft lbs at any range but I guess it's hard to measure something that low!

Not cheap at about $17 a box of 50 either.

I carry the NAA in my front pocket as a backup to my Kimber .45. I know it's not much but it's better than nothing.

On edit:
Just reading the 2013 Guns & Ammo Handguns magazine. In an article on ".22 for Defense" they state that:
"Hornaday engineers were im-
pressed by the new .22 WMR FTX
performance in testing and found
that it's terminal ballistics were
directly comparable to the impact
effect of the .380 Auto Critical
Defense load. Fired into calibrated
ballistic gelatin, a 90 grain .380
Critical Defense bullet at 896 fps
from a 2.75-inch-barreled Ruger
LCP penetrates about 10 inches.
The 45-grain .22 WMR Critical
Defense bullet at 1,038 fps from a
1.875-inch-barreled S&W 351 PD
penetrates 9.5 inches. In volu-
metric terms, the primary-upset
wound channels in the critical first
5 inches of penetration are also
nearly the same. I wouldn't want
to be standing in front of either one
of them."

I have a heavy barreled laminate Remington 597 in 22 mag. Probably the most accurate rimfire I have ever shot and it's a freakin automatic. You are obviously gonna get a lot more range and power out of a mag compared to a lr. If you were thinking about buying the 10/22 I would look at the volquartsen or the magnum research before I sported that kind of money for a 10/22.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top