JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
@Dyre Straits, started the FPS thread and it seems like we have quite a few older and newer gamers on the forum so I thought am RPG thread might get some use as well.

Personally, I was playing RPG's long before the FPS games came out. Maybe starting at age 11 so almost 29 years into those games now and while I love the FPS system, RPG's will always be a favorite of mine.

I played thru (I think it was 7) Ultima 1-7, back when things were text based to start. I also played Ultima Underworld and enjoyed that. I never played the Ultima Online game though.

Other favorites that pop up:

Deus Ex 1 - didn't get into 2 much

Never winter Nights 1-2

Diablo series - all of them

(so many titles I just can't place names too - dang memory. I'm hoping others lists will jog my memory a bit)

I ended with World of Warcraft - yup super nerd here. Spent thousands of hours on that game from day one thru the Ice King add on. Ran a guild of a few hundred regulars and did everything in the game up till then with multiple characters, Druid being my favorite (had a hunter, warlock, priest all leveled and in full raid gear). I stopped playing the same day I got laid off - it's one thing to have a time sink when you are working and have some down time but once I was home 24/7 I knew I would just waste even more hours. While I played though my wife did as well and it was more fun then watching the tv all night for us.

I'm a more options and less specialties type player personally so I like characters that are hybrids.

What RPG's started you into the genre and what are your favorites?

*you hear the sound of creaking joints as the old warrior rises to speak * Those newfangled video games...never got into them. I'm an old fart; I played Dungeons & Dragons when the rules were 3 pamphlets in a white box with cheap dice that exploded if rolled too hard.

*you hear the sound of creaking joints as the old warrior rises to speak * Those newfangled video games...never got into them. I'm an old fart; I played Dungeons & Dragons when the rules were 3 pamphlets in a white box with cheap dice that exploded if rolled too hard.

I have an entire book shelf of all my old D&D books and many sets of dice (many lol). I had to read something like 100 page book to get all the details down though so I didn't get in on the ground floor.

But Hey, those were the games that paved the way for when technology could catch up!

I have an entire book shelf of all my old D&D books and many sets of dice (many lol). I had to read something like 100 page book to get all the details down though so I didn't get in on the ground floor.

But Hey, those were the games that paved the way for when technology could catch up!
Yeah, hard to believe that was over 40 years ago. I was in the Army at the time and would meet with the gaming group at the rec hall; we were playing strategic simulation games from Avalon Hill and SPI. D&D just came out and we gave that a go. It soon became all night sessions of campaigning fueled by Marlboros and Seagrams. Good Times.

Old AD&Der here too - goes way back to Jr High and haven't played since. Did have a lot of fun with it back then though. Our Dungeon Master went nuts over the game - became totally obsessed and dropped out of high school so he could play more. Got involved in LARPing too. Last I heard he was still deeply into the stuff.

Chrono Trigger for the snes is definitely my favorite rpg. Secret of Mana is a close second, though I'm not sure if the purists would call it a RPG. Never really got into them after that, as working took away from the time needed to complete a game. Now my son is playing all my old games. He's tackling Ocarina of Time right now. I might introduce him to the SNES rpg's after that.

Yes, also Gamma World, Traveller, Elric,GURPS but D&D was my crack; I got in deep designing my world complete with political systems, religious systems, fully fleshed out NPCs. I ended up with only God knows how many three ring binders full of information.
I completely understand about that.
Most of my campaigns were heavily influenced by Tolkien , Nordic and Celtic myths.
Andy

Fallout New Vegas is my favorite of the series. Still haven't played 4, as I can buy a lot of ammo for the same price as a new console. How does it compare to the previous releases?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top