JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A new pilot program in Seattle, WA. Since they police force is now about 50% of what it was a couple years ago... in their wisdom... they are now forming a team of unarmed civilian mental health professions to respond to 911 calls.

Placing an unarmed, untrained civilian in the middle of a heated DV situation to talk about their feelings.... it will be interesting to see how that all plays out. I sure hope the employment health and life insurance package is comprehensive!🤣

Last Edited:
A new pilot program in Seattle, WA. Since they police force is not about 50% of what it was a couple years ago... in their wisdom... they are now forming a team of unarmed civilian mental health professions to respond to 911 calls.

Placing an unarmed, untrained civilian in the middle of a heated DV situation to talk about their feelings.... it will be interesting to see how that all plays out. I sure hope the employment health and life insurance package is comprehensive!🤣

As someone who grew up in a household with an abusive drunk I know that's not a call these people will want to answer, lol.

If a drunk is beating his wife, kids and or family members they'll have no issue beating up some blue hair lgbt mental patient... er I mean "professional."

If you can find someone stupid enough to go on the call, send them. Be sure to have them turn on the bodycam before they get out of the car. I hear some of them don't record audio for the first two minutes.

So far it's working well

To be fair... I believe there are piddly 911 calls that don't really require a police presence, and may even aggravate a situation, but I think the real trick will be in how reliably a 911 operator with limited information is going to be able to identify which calls are "non-threatening" and which may be... or may become so. I think some good can come of it, but then again, if these type of programs spread I think it's only a matter of time before sending in an untrained and unarmed civilian is going to blow up in someone's face. Either the death of a "health professional" or other party that could have been prevented if LE had responded.

I would imagine too this plays along with the de-criminalize crime narrative. Civilians don't have the knowledge or authority to identify and make arrests. How many blind eyes will get turned to actual crimes in the name of, "they were just having a bad day" and allowed to carry on their merry way at the judgment of an untrained "professional"(?)

Sure as shenola... if one is injured the lawsuits and public outrage will follow for sending a civilian into a situation they were not equipped to deal with. For them... the same adage applies... "when seconds count, the (actual) police are only minutes away".

So far it's working well

Free t-shirt for everyone.
mockup-0ffdf7c1_1200x.jpg

So far it's working well

time will tell. I think these programs have merit and would help, people going thru a crisis don't necessarily need a criminal record to resolve.
But I have a low confidence level in how liberal cities will implement these programs. I think its a legitimate concern to send a mental health professional to a DV call. Its similar to Oregons decriminalize drugs program, they effed that idea up so bad even the people who voted for it are begging to repeal it.

time will tell. I think these programs have merit and would help, people going thru a crisis don't necessarily need a criminal record to resolve.
But I have a low confidence level in how liberal cities will implement these programs. I think its a legitimate concern to send a mental health professional to a DV call. Its similar to Oregons decriminalize drugs program, they effed that idea up so bad even the people who voted for it are begging to repeal it.
Good read on that here

Asserting that the proposed Seattle program has potential for success, the article offers as evidence the (alleged) success in Denver where a totally different sort of program has a clinician and a paramedic dispatched to low-risk incidents like intoxication, trespass, and welfare checks.

Going further out on a limb, the article assures readers that Denver's program is a success because "petty crimes have decreased 34% in the area where the program was implemented". More accurately, it should have stated that reports of petty crimes have decreased.

The problem with relying on that statistical decline in reporting is twofold: First, it ignores the fact that statistics only show what officials are doing, rather than what criminals are actually doing. Second, it totally ignores human nature, as in: "What's the use in calling 911 about a crime if their lame response is sending just a clinician and paramedic?

There are two things that Seattle will likely see change abruptly. One is the number of "civilian responders" injured or killed at domestic violence scenes, and the other is a rise in frustration level as folks calling for a cop have to endure lengthy questioning while the call-taker "builds rapport" and determines why the caller feels they need a cop and would they maybe be satisfied instead with soothing words and a stuffed Teddy bear?

Last Edited:
Going further out on a limb, the article assures readers that Denver's program is a success because "petty crimes have decreased 34% in the area where the program was implemented". More accurately, it should have stated that reports of petty crimes have decreased.
That's certainly one of their tactics. "See how effective our program is?" and claiming huge drops in the stats, but what they don't tell you is they raised the bar on what is considered a "petty crime" and/or simply stopped responding to and recording property theft crimes due to manpower shortages.

I don't know about Denver, but we know of some cities that now don't class any theft under $1k as a crime. I have zero doubt they aren't reporting "significant drops" in the petty crime rates even while businesses are being hit by mass looting parties on a regular basis.

Decriminalizing crime does wonders for reducing the crime rates, don't it!! 🤣

*Just like changing the definition of what constitutes a "mass shootings" really drives up the numbers for the desired effect, right! It's not a new concept.:s0155:

Last Edited:
I did not read the story but this has been in the works for a while. Not sure if the story mentioned what they really want these non Cops for. There is a proliferation of "homeless" (scum" who are either already nuts and taking drugs, or just high and nuts due to the drugs. This is what they plan to send these non Cops too. It will take very little time for one of these people to get in real trouble when attacked by one of the people they think they are going to help.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top