JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got a call the other day from a guy who mentioned his name and told me 'he hasnt talked to me in a while' and 'wondering if I am still around' Then says he 'I stay in contact with (name of a friend of mine) quite a bit, and just wondering if you are still around, same number' etc.

Odd part is right after he mentions his first name there is what sounds like an 'edit' to a recording and then he says his last name, IE it's like it was 'edited' between his first and last name.

Another strange part - I do NOT recognize the name. Now, I am terrible with names as I am a type who is very sociable, meets and talks to a lot of people and maybe I did meet him at one time but he seems way too 'friendly' and 'matter of fact' for me to not even have a glimmer of some recolection.

I have not contacted my friend yet who he said he 'stays in contact with' as I have been waiting for HIM to maybe text me and say 'Hey have you heard from XXX yet' - but he has not which is strange because I know he would have likely said something to me if it is legit and he gave the guy my number.

Obviously a check with my friend will confirm this but I did hear a news clip about similar happening to others where a person will get the number of someone a potential 'victim' knows, call and identify as that person and ask for monetary help. I may not have heard the story correctly but I thought it was mentioned the person can somehow 'use' the number and it shows up on the victims phone so he or she thinks all is legit.

Thoughts?

There are AI fakes of celebrity voices out there now. All the AI needs is a few recordings of the person's voice. But scammers are usually trying to get you to do something. Since he said "same number" rather than leaving a number, my first guess would be that it's a real person.

Another possibility is that there was an unrelated glitch in the recording.

It may also be that he has met you, saw your number in his contacts and thought you were someone else.

I got kind of the same thing. A bounced phone call with a short blank voice message followed by a text exchange from a different number: (weird capitalization and missing words are their things)

"Hi moose, I just got a call
From
The number gave me a callback"

I said
"cool"

They said
"I'm Alaska with limited service"

I said
"Okay"

They said
"a Seattle 206 area code phone number"
"Call this number it's my backup in Alaska"

I said
"Who dis?"

They said
"You just called me"

I said
"No, I didn't. Who are you?"

An hour later I sent
"Well bye"

And the next morning I sent:
"Good morning"

but I never got a response.

For what it's worth I don't know anyone in Alaska.

I don't have any friends either, so that's sus too.

I got a text message the other day from a number in Pittsburgh. I don't know anyone in Pittsburgh.

No ID. Just "Hi! Mike, long time no see, how's it been going recently?"

Not going to answer.

I would have deleted that voicemail and not given it a second thought. If they REALLY want to contact you, they'll do it again. Ball's in their/it's court until they identify themselves as someone I know and recognize

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top