JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My ex-wife was texting me. I guess I can blame this on her. She was updating me on the condition of our son who is battling a serious illness.

I'm so very sorry about your son. Something like this would likely distract most of us...status of a sick loved one.

I'm not going to suggest that you shouldn't have been addressing this issue at this time. Only you can determine if it was appropriate. But do recognize that your actions probably communicated to your attackers that you would be an easy target. It's also entirely possible that the outcome of this attack could have been worse...up to and including being killed.

The question to be asking yourself is, "what would you do differently if you had to do over again?" If you're in an unfamiliar city, at night, walking alone...is that the time to be engaged with your phone? And the answer to that question may very well be "yes," given the severity of the issue. But if you are going to be working with your phone, you must still pop your head up from time to time. And when you do, you should take extra care to survey your surroundings. Particularly when you may be coming up on a blind corner where you might not be able to see what is around it...or any other location where someone could be hiding or launch an attack from.

In any urban setting, where there is risk of attack/robbery, if you MUST check your phone then step into a public establishment offering greater protection. I.e. step into a restaurant and stand in the lobby with back to wall to mitigate ambush, or go into bathroom and lock door, etc.

In any urban setting, where there is risk of attack/robbery, if you MUST check your phone then step into a public establishment offering greater protection. I.e. step into a restaurant and stand in the lobby with back to wall to mitigate ambush, or go into bathroom and lock door, etc.

Or get text alerts on your watch. Are smartwatches getting jacked now too? Good thing I only have a cheep Chinese knock off.

Sorry to hear about this, and is becoming more common as person on person crime is on the rise, criminals have found that these types of crimes are easy pickings, with low risk.
You no doubt have all seen the rise in store floods. This is when a dozen or more come in a store grab what they can and leave.
Criminals are finding, overwhelming the victim with as little injury as possible is the way to do it, as its not serious enough to get a second look by the LEO's.

Remember the Highwaymen and many other terms, where people that robbed travelers quickly and moved on? Not allot has changed from giving opportunity, and others taking it.

Again sorry to hear about this crap, but been watching its increase for sometime.

Last Edited:
@unknowncoast

I just want to say thanks for this thread and your honesty.

This has been a huge reminder to me to always always always be alert. So easy to pull the stupid phone out and start getting distracted.

I hope your kid heals completly. My son was diagnosed with cancer at 6 months of age and I was a wreck. I basically lived at Randall Children's Hospital for weeks, and that's in a crappy part of town too. I'm sure I was an easy target during that time since I was so focused on my son that my situational awareness level was close to zero. I remember plenty of times where I was outside the hospital on the phone, either talking or staring at the screen texting.

Guess I just got lucky nothing happened to me, since I wasn't watching my surroundings.

Thanks again for the story, I was reminded of much! ;)

"So easy to pull the stupid phone out and start getting distracted"

Ah no, it's not the 'stupid phone'.....

Put the phone on hiatus...maybe, ooh, here's a radical idea: Stop staring at it and only use it if you absolutely have need...consider a pay as you go old fashioned cell.

But, but, but I have other needs...no, you don't - really, you don't.

And to those wondering, easy for me to say with my own smart phone: I not only don't have a so-called smart phone, you couldn't give me one...

Hear much about heroin?

Sure you do.

Same for so-called smart phones...they're a cancer...the naive own them in droves...

And to those wondering, easy for me to say with my own smart phone: I not only don't have a so-called smart phone, you couldn't give me one...

Not smart enough to use one either, huh? :D

THAT ^^ is a JOKE.........We went well into the smart phone era with a phlipp phone. Had to get a smart phone eventually. Wouldn't you know it! We're not smart enough to keep the crap that just SHOWS UP on it off of it. Went to the kid to help us. He said, "Shoulda' got an I-Phone" The kid didn't know how to get deep into an android, dammitt! Basically it's just a phone, and wifey did learn how to text. Getting internet, well, it's not an I-Phone, so.

My Dad still has a dumb phone from 2001 on a grandfathered $10 a month plan. He told the carrier that the $0.75 e911 tax should not apply to him because his phone is pre-9/11 and does not have a GPS. No luck, so now its a $10.75 a month plan.

I carry a CHL for both Washington and Oregon as I have to be in Vancouver at least once a week. I never go ANYWHERE unarmed. Usually my daily carry and a bug gun. It is unfortunate that this happened to you, but stranger to stranger quick punch & grab attacks like this seem to be on the rise. Our swelling homelessness/drug abuser crisis appears to be the root cause. All I can suggest is to constantly scrutinize your surroundings and assess any potential threats before they can get near you. Be armed at all times and ready to act or evade at a seconds notice. Situational awareness is the first line of defense against opportunistic attacks.

Admittedly it sucks to have to always be so vigilant, but if doing so can prevent a black eye and a lost iPhone, then it is worth it. Putting your pistol barrel into one of their eyes would have changed everything.

My Dad still has a dumb phone from 2001 on a grandfathered $10 a month plan. He told the carrier that the $0.75 e911 tax should not apply to him because his phone is pre-9/11 and does not have a GPS. No luck, so now its a $10.75 a month plan.

I have a brand new smartphone and a $10 plan + tax.... 500min and 500 texts... works for me! It's not a senior plan. :)

Unknown could still get a Washington non-resident CCW/CHL. My daughter and her family are near Everett, WA, moved there about
10-12 yrs ago. I have a non-resident Washington CCW ever since. I'm a California resident. Please don't laugh. Arizona and
Utah are a good suggestion, but isn't one not recognized in WA.

Last weekend while walking back to my hotel in Vancouver I was punched in the eye out of nowhere by a Hispanic male and fell to the ground. They were 2 big guys. They stole my iPhone quickly and ran off. I don't have the Washington CCW only the Oregon. I feel really bad about what happened. I think I should have fought back somehow and gave up too easy. I was only about a block from the extended stay where I was staying. Make sure you carry when traveling to Vancouver. This was a terrible experience and I am going to apply for the Washington permit right away.

I read a good portion of the comments and although I think a few are a bit on the harsh side I have to say I'm not tethered to my phone. I've only had a smartphone for less than two years. A week ago it was off for 36 hrs. I get that some people need them on all the time and need to monitor them just to survive in today's economy and I may reach that point soon. They are not the best thing for your health on many levels I won't delve into. Mine is often in a faraday cage.
While emailing with an old friend in Chicago about 4 yrs ago when I was thinking of attending a reunion for a school I attended for two yrs I bragged that I'm a rare exception that still has a flip phone. Much to my surprise he said that's what he has (and he's a pretty high priced atty) and I asked 'why?'
He replied because the muggers won't steal them. Sign of the times. Ross Perot said if NAFTA passed Detroit would be the first city to fall and the rest would follow. At this point money is tempting me to go to a job in LA and as bad as Portland has gotten I don't dread that thought as much as I did in years past when turning down work in CA.
It's not easy to be 'alert' in surroundings that have been safe for the most part. But incidents like this one change a person. You are most fortunate. They could have killed you. A gun may have helped under some circumstances. I got my WA concealed because it was cheap and very fast and easy. I went through Kelso and it showed up in less than 3 weeks. When I ride my Harley over the bridge to Longview I have no place to lock up my carry and I don't ride without. My carry of choice if I have only one is NAA Pug 22 mag. I keep the first chamber empty and only have four rounds. Reloading is not a practical expedient option. But I can shoot from my pocket. Granted the pants will be ruined but baggy pockets and small arms aren't a bad combo if you're down on the ground possibly facing being beaten to death. I would only pocket shoot as a very last resort for obvious reasons. The gun has no kick (I went with the ported barrel) but it is LOUD. Just the sound of it would send offenders running.
As far as a knife goes I always carry a Byrd (Spyderco) serrated Hawkbill that I buy in lots of 2-3 at a time four about $20 a pop. They are a tool for my work. On rare occasion I have to cut rope and it has to be fast. I can draw and open in a few seconds and have rope cut in less than 15 seconds from reaching for the tool. I can have it ready to go faster than my S&W switchblade so I carry the legal one.
Again you are most fortunate that you didn't need your face reconstructed, or suffer brain damage, broken limbs and/or numerous other things. Most mugging victims don't fare so well when a violent attack is part of the deal. Letting them run with the phone and not drawing a weapon even if you were armed at the time would have been the best option, IMO. I even think drawing a weapon and letting them still run with the phone would have been a good option.
Prayers being sent out for your Son and you and I both know you'll make more eye contact out in the jungle. I learned my lesson the hard way. Did I mention I lived in inner city Chicago for two years?

byrd.jpg naapug2.jpg Spyderco Byrd Hawkbill 8Cr13MoV Serrated Blade FRN Handle

Not sure on your budget OP, but if you are like me and loose tools, or you don't want to drop $100+ on a knife, the Kershaw Cryo and Cryo 2 are good cheap knives. $25-40 online or in stores. Assisted opener, designed by a guy who builds $300+ knives. Decent steel. Pocket clip has 4 mounting positions (tip up/down, left or right handed) I have managed to hang onto my first one for a couple years now. It gets used daily as a working knife. I carry the Cryo 2, its larger than the original. It has IIRC a 3.5" blade.

IF you get into a fight with a blade, expect to get cut or poked. The first knife fighting / knife defense class I took was a big eye opener for me. I'd been doing martial arts for almost 10 years at that point, but we didn't practice fighting with a knife, and half of what I had prevoiusly learned was hot dangerous garbage. The knife fighting instructor showed us a few attacks, some good defenses, then put training blades in our hands with chalked blades. Most of us in the class had no formal knife fighting experience - and in our first 10 second "sparring" match, we were all covered in white slashes.

Seek training when you can, but until then if you need to fight with a blade, its basically boxing but with a knife in your hand. You have jabs and crosses (stabs) and hooks and upper cuts (slashes) the blade position is dictated by the strike. Dodging and ducking beat trying to block an incoming knife attack most of the time, just like a boxers punches.

The only sure way to win a fight is to not get in it.

I want to add one more thing, don't rely only on whats in your pockets - in a surprise attack you may not be able to access or quickly draw a knife or gun or OC spray. Sometimes the environment gives you better impromptu weapons - sticks, pipes, rocks - your mind and mindset are your best weapons and are always with you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top