JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Whether I agree with paying for a concealed carry permit or not is besides the point (I'm not here to argue about that). As an Oregon resident the process was super easy to get a Washington CHL. Less money, fast turn around time and a streamlined process. The license last 5 years not 4 (like Oregon) and the lady at the front desk was super easy to work with. Just wanted to give a "shout out" to the Vancouver PD and their help.

It's weird getting just a piece of paper as a license though with no photo ID or anything….. but now I'm legal. Haha.

7ADB1B76-D4A6-4615-8214-29C288E63113.jpeg 0742864D-279E-4EF3-B777-15347F68A530.jpeg

Whether I agree with paying for a concealed carry permit or not is besides the point (I'm not here to argue about that). As an Oregon resident the process was super easy to get a Washington CHL. Less money, fast turn around time and a streamlined process. The license last 5 years not 4 (like Oregon) and the lady at the front desk was super easy to work with. Just wanted to give a "shout out" to the Vancouver PD and their help.

It's weird getting just a piece of paper as a license though with no photo ID or anything….. but now I'm legal. Haha.

View attachment 1173662 View attachment 1173665
Couple things don't add up.
Vancouver PD and not Clark County ?
Piece of paper and no photo ID ?

By paper I simply mean that it's not a hard card like the ones issued by the Washington County in Oregon. I thought it would be a bit more official. I'll just have to get it laminated.

Oh OK.
It must be a non-resident thing.
If you have your home state CHL you can go through the PD ?

As a resident, it's a trip to CCSO and a photo ID.
I thought it was weird too. But everything I read said to go to the bordering PD for an out of state permit. But here in Oregon you obviously have to go through the County Sheriff that you reside in.

But everything I read said to go to the bordering PD for an out of state permit. But here in Oregon you obviously have to go through the County Sheriff that you reside in.
Ive always got mine thru the Clark County sheriffs office, also downtown Vancouover. Its always been a piece of paper but mine is now a plastic card nearly identical to Oregons.

I'll just have to get it laminated.
Worth doing a "water-proof" lamination. Mine went through the wash in a clear plastic card holder and the typed lettering shifted a millimeter to the right on the paper. $10 for a replacement but currently it's still readable.

Concur about the shout out to Vancouver Police. They were really cool about non-resident applications early last year and was able to schedule an appointment in under a week with an OR CHL. I felt bad about multi-month appointment wait for Clark County (WA) residents - none of the local SW WA sheriff departments were processing non-resident CPLs at the time either.

I've got a Utah CFP but always felt weird carrying in WA from OR with a UT permit - - - just too many things to explain to a local LEO if ever needed to. Besides, I assume some of the fees go to support the local LEO.

You can always get one from Clark County Sheriff's office if you prefer a more "real" looking one, lol. I went that route last time, worst picture ever; I look more like Yoda than my usual Ryan Reynolds facsimile, just kidding, about Mr. Reynolds.

WA resident - when I renewed earlier this year at Clark County Sheriff's dept they gave me the option to get mine on the spot (paper) or wait for it in the mail to get a laminated one with photo id, which is what I did.

You can always get one from Clark County Sheriff's office if you prefer a more "real" looking one, lol. I went that route last time, worst picture ever; I look more like Yoda than my usual Ryan Reynolds facsimile, just kidding, about Mr. Reynolds.
Here in the great state of Texas they use your DPS (comparable to y'alls DMV) photo on all other state issued IDs. So as long as that pictures good you don't gotta worry bout it and they let you retake it if you don't like it. So my LTC (Texas' CHL), DL and private security guard card all use the same photo. All the state systems are connected.

Oh OK.
It must be a non-resident thing.
If you have your home state CHL you can go through the PD ?

As a resident, it's a trip to CCSO and a photo ID.
That's not always true. As a resident there are some restrictions.

For example if you live inside city limits you can choose to apply at either the city police dept. OR the sheriff. But if you live outside the city in unincorporated area you only have the sheriff as a choice.

To recap, as a resident you have at maximum 2 choices. A non resident can apply anywhere in the entire state.

I didn't know VPD did this? I am a city of Vancouver resident and I have always renewed at the Clark county sheriff's office. Good thing about the Washington permit it is honored in many other states. No other states honors the Oregon permit

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top