JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love the Bend area. Central Oregon is a million times better than this hellhole. I drive for Uber/lyft and was talking to a Republican passenger which is a rarity. The guy lived here in Portland with his family. We talked about guns/politics etc. He told me he can't wait until his son graduates so he can finally leave Portland and make the move to Bend.

Hate to tell you this, but Bend is FULL of "Blue" Californians.... and more keep coming. o_O

Drawing a gun would have probably scared the attackers away.

Not trying to "argue" but...
That may have happened or may not have happened.

Counting on or depending on , the drawing and presenting of a gun , to stop a threat , is a bad idea.
Again no matter if you are armed or not situational awareness and avoiding trouble is best for self defense.
Andy

Drawing a gun always scares someone and typically away. Not saying you shouldn't carry a firearm, but if you were attacked "out of nowhere" can we assume you didn't see this coming? Are there things you would have done differently that may help you and others here on the board in looking at a situation like this?

But you reported that you were ambushed before you knew what was happening.

Step back and think about what happened and why.
1) Why was I chosen as a victim ?
2) Why were they able to ambush me ?
3) What do I need to do to avoid putting myself in that situation again ?

Can you recommend a good knife to carry? What is the blade length limit here in Portland? I live within the city limits.

I just carry an Old Timer folder, 4" blade in a snap sheath. I've got no training other than wearing it every day for 35 years. If I was eye-balling a pending situation I could produce the blade in about 2 seconds I think. Never timed myself.

Well I don't know about that. You haven't told us how these guys came at you?

Last weekend while walking back to my hotel in Vancouver I was punched in the eye out of nowhere by a Hispanic male and fell to the ground. They were 2 big guys. They stole my iPhone quickly and ran off. I don't have the Washington CCW only the Oregon. I feel really bad about what happened. I think I should have fought back somehow and gave up too easy. I was only about a block from the extended stay where I was staying. Make sure you carry when traveling to Vancouver. This was a terrible experience and I am going to apply for the Washington permit right away.
Sorry to here of your assault. Hope you are doing OK. Can you give more information on the location
where this happened??o_O

I just carry an Old Timer folder, 4" blade in a snap sheath. I've got no training other than wearing it every day for 35 years. If I was eye-balling a pending situation I could produce the blade in about 2 seconds I think. Never timed myself.

I was actually looking down checking messages on my phone. All of sudden the 2 guys were there. A split second later I was hit and fell to the ground.

I'm amazed that the news isn't flooded every day with people being beaten and robed of their phones and money. There's people I see every damn day that are oblivious to their surroundings. People don't seem to even have peripheral vision any more!

I hate to sound harsh, but get your face out of your phone and pay attention to your surroundings. People are dying, being hit by cars, crashing their cars, hitting pedestrians because people are placing too much importance on a damn message or text. Could be a lesson here, no?

My ex-wife was texting me. I guess I can blame this on her. She was updating me on the condition of our son who is battling a serious illness.

I'm very sorry your son is seriously ill. Blaming your wife? You wouldn't be much good to your son if someone disabled, or killed you. That message wasn't so important that you should risk your well being.

OP, don't beat yourself up for not responding with perfectly landed flying fists of fury or proning the oxygen bandits out at gunpoint until John Law came to hook them up (...maybe adding a few discrete face kicks while you all waited).

You can replay the scenario a thousand different ways in your mind forever. But the missing component in that equation, is how they might have responded to a spirited defense on your part with:
- superior fighting skills
- two vs one
- gun(s)
- knives
- whatever
You could've been hurt badly, or worse.

When force and excitement escalate, things can get crazy in a fraction of a second. And although the perps would certainly deserve whatever you might've dished out to them, and more, it's sickening to know there is an abundance of laws skewed to protect THEIR rights! Potentially something different to stew over every night when you're serving a stretch in lockup somewhere, married to the guy with all the cigarettes.

I'm glad it was no worse.

Last Edited:
I would get a Utah permit instead of WA if you travel frequently. Accepted in more states.

Not to be insensitive, but as others noted, all a gun would have accomplished in that scenario is getting pistol whipped with your own gun. Or shot.
It's probably best that a gun wasn't even in the script.

Having a gun on your person doesn't turn on a magical bubble that surrounds you, protecting you from harm.

I'm amazed that the news isn't flooded every day with people being beaten and robed of their phones and money. There's people I see every damn day that are oblivious to their surroundings. People don't seem to even have peripheral vision any more!

It happens so often that it isn't news.

A Guy Punched Me In The Face And Took My iPhone — And It Happens All The Time

...A police department spokesperson told us that an average of six people every day are mugged for their electronic gadgets.

...Up to 80 percent of the street crimes in San Francisco are robberies of phones, laptops, and tablets, according an assistant District Attorney and several San Francisco cops who routinely work on iPhone theft cases.

...Crooks are also known to drive out to nice neighborhoods and get out and find a victim to attack. The drive-by robbery is getting more common, where robbers see someone talking on their phone, so they get out and snatch it.

How To Be Safe

The thug popped my bubble and brought me into a whole new level of being alert.

But most people don't have this increased awareness. Most walk around unaware, lost in their music or or texting their friends.

That's a mistake. If you look up and look at people in the eyes, they will probably not attack because you'd be able to identify them. That's why awareness is your greatest weapon.

A Guy Punched Me In The Face And Took My iPhone — And It Happens All The Time

Not to be insensitive, but as others noted, all a gun would have accomplished in that scenario is getting pistol whipped with your own gun. Or shot.
It's probably best that a gun wasn't even in the script.

Having a gun on your person doesn't turn on a magical bubble that surrounds you, protecting you from harm.

I probably should have worded my post a bit better. OP stated he was thinking about getting a WA permit, and my intent was to reply to that independently of the incident in question. A UT permit is accepted in more states, so you get more bang for your buck getting it as opposed to one from WA.

I would get a Utah permit instead of WA if you travel frequently. Accepted in more states.
I probably should have worded my post a bit better. OP stated he was thinking about getting a WA permit, and my intent was to reply to that independently of the incident in question. A UT permit is accepted in more states, so you get more bang for your buck getting it as opposed to one from WA.

OR residents can do that.

If you are a WA resident you need a WA, OR and UT permit.

I cant remember if the OP is either, just pointing that out.

I carry an assisted most of the time.

Hand on my knife during evenings and such when people are walking my way.

Knife is open by the time I pull my hand out of my pocket and ready to use.

Since your in Portland I would look at one of the Benchmade auto's - they arejust as fast and all you need to do is push a button.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top