JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What Long Gun should I take on a road trip?

• 16" AR-15

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • M1 Garand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ruger 10/22

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • 20 Gauge Pump Action Shotgun

Votes: 28 51.9%

• Total voters
Reactions
Hey Folks,

In about a month I'm taking my brother on a road trip. He's never been anywhere besides the West Coast and Texas and I want to show him more of our beautiful country. Instead of a set destination and route we are going to play the trip by ear (Although I'd like to show him the Grand Canyon and we may make it as far East as Tennessee).

Because the route isn't pre-set I want to avoid as many legal snags as possible with transporting firearms. I always have my pistol and on anything more than a two hours drive away from home I like to have a long gun in the truck.

So the question is: What long gun should I bring?

If I'm staying local I usually have the AR in the storage compartment...but I could run into a state that has strict mag limits or other such nonsense

I like my M1 and there isn't a State I know of that has any restrictions for this platform...but it's a rather large rifle and takes up a good amount of space.

The 10/22 is compact but doesn't pack a punch

The pump-action 20 gauge is a good shotgun but has limited reach and capacity.

Thoughts?

The distances in which you could be legally justified by self-defense would be relatively short. The kinda short where I'd hate to have a ahotgun pointed at me.

Or, use it as an excuse to buy another gun. A Mossberg/Maverick 88 can be had new for less than $250.

9D1B4681-036A-4751-869E-43276F3FC214.jpeg

Last Edited:
I'd suggest , if you are wanting a long gun either a :
Pump action shotgun...
Or
A Lever action rifle in .30-30 or some revolver cartridge.

Both of these options are multi state friendly and look "less threatening" to many people...which may be a concern.
Andy

I'd suggest , if you are wanting a long gun either a :
Pump action shotgun...
Or
A Lever action rifle in .30-30 or some revolver cartridge.

Both of options are multi state friendly and look "less threatening" to many people...which may be a concern.
Andy

A lever action 357, 44, or 45 LC can be a bad mofo in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. These can be shot pretty fast too.

To address the capacity issues of the shotgun, which I believe is the best choice for a road trip long gun in leftist enclaves, have you looked at a magazine tube extension or the newer short shells?

23_Minishell_Buckshot-merged.jpg

zi2sjO7yH3g.jpg

Of what your poll states, I'd have to say the Shotty.

Just the sound of a round being jacked is a mighty good "Attention Getter"

Its a 330gr chunk of lead going about 1600 fps. Almost 45-70 territory.[/QUOTE,]

Well when you put it THAT way... My personal issue is with so many shotguns I already own being 12ga, getting anything else is just adding another cartridge for the sake of another cartridge. Though I have killed plenty of turkeys with a 20ga over the years

If you are going to show your brother places in the US that you are going to "need" something for protection, you had better take them all. Other wise, I wouldn't take anything. I've been across the country dozens of times on trips and I sure wouldn't want to leave a weapon in my vehicle while I'm staying in a motel at night or while it's parked when I'm out hiking scenic locations or visiting places along the way or even just getting something to eat or using the restrooms.

For me, just the thought of leaving any of my guns in my truck when I'm not there (even if I have it in sight) is enough to distract me from any enjoyment in what I'm doing. There are people that hang out at just about any place a traveler or tourist will stop that can have your truck open and empty pretty darn fast.

So for me, if I can't keep it with me, I don't take it. I'd rather not have it than take the chance it will fall into the wrong hands and used in a crime or worse, to kill someone.

Mike

If the OP knows his gun , a well used and well known 20 gauge could be better that a 12 gauge that is new and unfamiliar...

#3 buck , the most commonly found buckshot loading for the 20 gauge would seem to work nicely.
I do know that at close range a 20 gauge slug will quickly and cleanly kill deer...

That said I own and have owned shotguns in both 20 and 12 gauge...plus a few in 16 gauge...
Like any gun , you need to know the best loading for the job at hand...And how your shotgun patterns / shoots with it.
Andy

New wrinkle here. Once you decide on what long gun to carry you need to research states to find out how you are required to transport it. Unloaded? Out of reach? Locked? All 3 are things that can get you stopped on the side of the road for a long time. EDC, no problem, but carrying a long gun with ammunition in it could be problematic.

If the OP knows his gun , a well used and well known 20 gauge could be better that a 12 gauge that is new and unfamiliar...

#3 buck , the most commonly found buckshot loading for the 20 gauge would seem to work nicely.
I do know that at close range a 20 gauge slug will quickly and cleanly kill deer...

That said I own and have owned shotguns in both 20 and 12 gauge...plus a few in 16 gauge...
Like any gun , you need to know the best loading for the job at hand...And how your shotgun patterns / shoots with it.
Andy

Shoot with it? Who has time to actually shoot them Andy? Aren't we supposed to leave them in the safe and occasionally pull them out and caress them lovingly? ;)

Shoot with it? Who has time to actually shoot them Andy? Aren't we supposed to leave them in the safe and occasionally pull them out and caress them lovingly? ;)

What with work and the recent time change , causing us to lose an hour...yeah who has time for that...
So I'd be doing you a favor , by taking a couple of neglected less loved rifles from your safe. and put them in my safe..?...:eek::p:D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads