JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What Long Gun should I take on a road trip?

• 16" AR-15

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • M1 Garand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ruger 10/22

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • 20 Gauge Pump Action Shotgun

Votes: 28 51.9%

• Total voters
Of those listed, the pump-action shotgun. It most certainly will work for defense and would be legal almost everywhere, including even the most obnoxiously restrictive jurisdictions.

Of those not listed, but referenced, a light lever-action in something like .44 Magnum would be a good choice. I've employing said types more and more as a a working and fun gun and have no complaints. Handy, light-weight, fast-cycling, quick to the shoulder, light recoiling but chambered in a potent cartridge, enough ammo on tap (the .44 Magnum has 10+1, while the .357 Magnum has 8+1) and one has been a good silencer host. I'm not sure what more one can ask for. And, like the pump-gun, legal in locales with brain-dead laws.

Have a fun trip. :)

I suppose since I've already joked around on this thread, I ought to give an actual opinion.
When I travel in-state, I usually pack around a Marlin .357 with a few boxes of Speer Gold-Dot. I suppose I could take an AR with multiple 30-round p-mags, but I just don't. I've also been known to travel with an 03a3 and a mills belt of various ammos.
Out of the options you listed, I expect I would take the shotgun. Very few jurisdictions will have an issue with the gun itself (whether or not it is loaded is obviously a different topic). It is quite likely the most versatile option within a 100 yard radius. Buck, slug, and birdshot are all easy to get and easy to top off. The capacity might not be up to the AR, but it has plenty of things going for it that the AR does not. I'd expand on that, but I'd get flamed.

Enjoy your road trip!

I appreciate everyone's opinions and insights. To clarify a few points and questions

1. These are firearms I already have so I won't be buying anything new for this trip. Although a lever action would be cool!
2. The long gun will be secured to the vehicle when I'm off hiking or having a meal. This should greatly reduce the possibility of someone breaking into the truck and stealing the gun. Is theft still possible? Sure. But life is a balancing act.
3. I'll be traveling with the long gun unloaded to avoid legal hassle. I have a pistol and if I'm in a situation where that isn't sufficient and I don't have time to get to my other gun....well then I really messed up.
3. Most nights will be spent camping with a few in hotels. Either way the long gun will be with me and not left in a vehicle.

Right now I'm leaning towards the shotgun.

Thanks again!

I've had to consider this with my own previous short road trips.

An AR-15 pistol chambered in .223 or .300 is my first choice as a travel firearm beside the standard carry piece. Pistols have rights across state lines that longarms do not, regarding traveling, but you can find certain states that don't appreciate those types of firearms.

How I would make my determination is based on the states I was planning to visit and researching what their laws are and if you are going to try and remain lawful the entire time. Because until you have that information zeroed in you don't know exactly what your options are.

Edit to say, of the choices listed. Mine would be the shotgun.

Shotgun.

BE4F3E0A-B709-48B2-9F94-9374881BA9D0.jpeg

I would take the 20 gauge shotgun myself. Rather than leave in your vehicle you take apart in use a gym back or backpack to put it in. Be aware there are some locations are restricted like ranger stations so you can not carry into a ranger station. You can carry outside in the Grand Canyon. Since you don't have route planned you read up and know ahead of time the regulations.

When I took a cruise to Alaska we stopped in Skagway and there were notices about certain locations that you could not carry since the Museum was maintained by forest rangers. Since I was on a cruise ship it was not an issue for me.

Last Edited:
Personal opinion on taking a long gun on a road trip is not a good idea:
1. Long guns, in most states, must be unloaded while in a vehicle. So its usefulness is about the same as a baseball bat in a vehicle. Also, law enforcement, if it is visible, have a right to stop you to verify it is not loaded.
2. If you are outside a vehicle and carrying a long gun there will be multiple telephone calls to local law enforcement reporting "man with a gun!"
3. It will be difficult to convince local law enforcement that a 100+ yard firearm is needed for self-defense.
4. Long guns are not the best for close quarters (unless you are a member of a team).
5. Everybody knows you have a firearm. Maybe, some of those people will want it and they will know what they have to do to get it (you have no surprise on your side).
6. Have US Law Shield on speed dial and make sure you have activated multi-state coverage.

Last Edited:
OP,

You should research the gun laws before you make your trip just to be on the safe side in SPECIFIC STATES - specific routes. Go to the .gov website for the gun laws not some concealed/open carry website that may NOT be up to date or to a book that is NOT up to date.

Remember that SOME motels/hotels do NOT allow GUNS on their property now especially since the LV murders but some of them were like that (Anti gun.) previously.

Another thing, some campgrounds do not allow firearms and that was a shock to me for some western privately owned ones even though I did NOT use them - ever.

I almost put down some more information but I do not want to derail this thread.

AFTER you do your research and if you want to take a nice lever action rifle, a nice bolt action rifle or a shotgun that you may or may not already own... stay safe and have FUN!

Consider a legal knife or legal kniveS for your trip if you do NOT decide to take a long gun with you or ADD that to your list.

Will you camp at all? Only stay in hotels/motels?

EDITED: I saw where you will camp AND stay in a hotel/motel. Sorry about that!

Enjoy your trip and make some good memories!

Cate

Last Edited:
I appreciate everyone's opinions and insights. To clarify a few points and questions

1. These are firearms I already have so I won't be buying anything new for this trip. Although a lever action would be cool!
2. The long gun will be secured to the vehicle when I'm off hiking or having a meal. This should greatly reduce the possibility of someone breaking into the truck and stealing the gun. Is theft still possible? Sure. But life is a balancing act.
3. I'll be traveling with the long gun unloaded to avoid legal hassle. I have a pistol and if I'm in a situation where that isn't sufficient and I don't have time to get to my other gun....well then I really messed up.
3. Most nights will be spent camping with a few in hotels. Either way the long gun will be with me and not left in a vehicle.

Right now I'm leaning towards the shotgun.

Thanks again!

PS:

DOUBLE and triple check that the states that you will visit honor your carry permit.

Use the .gov websites.

A lot of changes have been made in carry laws in specific states. Magazine capacity if you are Not using a six shot/round revolver, HP ammo even though you are not going to NJ-lol, etc.

If you leave your shotgun unloaded and those states are picky about your carry permit - you will have to leave your handgun unloaded and keep your ammunition apart from it all. No loaded magazines too. It depends on where you go.

Have fun and stay safe!

Cate
Been there - done that when I moved over 2,000 miles with my former firearms, my ammo and what I took with me (Total!) all packed into my former SUV and my former Coleman pop up camper.

Last Edited:
@Catherine1 All great advice! Thank you for contributing to the thread. I'm researching the laws on States where I know I'll pass through and will be sure to try and follow the laws accordingly. I'll be taking my .357 revolver to avoid any wonky magazine restrictions/laws (which makes the lever action rifle highly tempting...but I don't have one at the moment). I'll have a pistol lock box for transportation through some areas and leave the shotgun unloaded.

I'd suggest , if you are wanting a long gun either a :
Pump action shotgun...
Or
A Lever action rifle in .30-30 or some revolver cartridge.

Both of these options are multi state friendly and look "less threatening" to many people...which may be a concern.
Andy

I have been putting serious thought into making a tacticool 30-30 with a Midwest rail for a light attachment and MRO.

I have been putting serious thought into making a tacticool 30-30 with a Midwest rail for a light attachment and MRO.

For my camping/hiking/exploring carbine gun, I built a Marlin 1894 .45 Colt into a monstrosity that made purists cringe...

IMG_20180222_191443946.jpg

HAVE to have a good weapon light on a camp gun for investigating marauding critters at night, so I bought a small section of pica-tinny rail, attached it to the stock with wood screws, and then used a Surefire light with a QD attachment off of Amazon. Works very well...

rifle2.jpg

Retired, We do lots of road trips across the land. Unless I'll be legally hunting, invited by acquaintances of various states (usually small game / foul) which then would dictate the caliber and style I'll be needing; I see a long gun on a road trip more of a liability than help for self defense. If it isn't across the back window of your truck or laying loaded next to your leg, (both unadvisable) accessibility is a real problem. Not fitting within the scope of concealed carry, A loaded long gun could mean extra trouble if stopped for a burned out tail light in some podunk village not caring for strangers. An unloaded long gun hasn't much value unless "time out" will be honored.
A few extra mags for a well practiced with piece on your hip or under your pillow at night might be more appropriate.
Just a thought, to each his own...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads