JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Background, I'm new to reloading and going through my first batch.

So I'm running a Hornady New Dimension FL resizing die for resizing .223 cartridges and followed the instructions for setting the die in place by screwing it down until it touches the shell holder. Before running a case through the die I measured the headspace of a case fired from my rifle, using the Hornady headspace gauge, and got a headspace measurement of 1.4630". I then measured an unfired round to get a headspace measurement of 1.4580". From what I gathered I would want a headspace measurement of my resized cases to be a few thousands less than the fired cartridge to around 1.4610". However when I resized the first case I was several thousands of an inch smaller than the unfired case at 1.4550", I backed off the die until I got the correct headspace measurement. I did notice there is a visible gap between the die and the shell holder now. I just wanted to check to see if this was normal and I took the proper approach here as a lot of the setup videos I see seem to error on bringing the die closer to the shellholder than farther back.

Background, I'm new to reloading and going through my first batch.

So I'm running a Hornady New Dimension FL resizing die for resizing .223 cartridges and followed the instructions for setting the die in place by screwing it down until it touches the shell holder. Before running a case through the die I measured the headspace of a case fired from my rifle, using the Hornady headspace gauge, and got a headspace measurement of 1.4630". I then measured an unfired round to get a headspace measurement of 1.4580". From what I gathered I would want a headspace measurement of my resized cases to be a few thousands less than the fired cartridge to around 1.4610". However when I resized the first case I was several thousands of an inch smaller than the unfired case at 1.4550", I backed off the die until I got the correct headspace measurement. I did notice there is a visible gap between the die and the shell holder now. I just wanted to check to see if this was normal and I took the proper approach here as a lot of the setup videos I see seem to error on bringing the die closer to the shellholder than farther back.
You should be fine with .001"-.002" clearance for a bolt gun and .003"-.004" for a semi-auto.

You'll want to cycle a couple rounds to make sure everything is ok though before you proceed to punch out several hundred.

Sizing further down won't harm anything, it'll just cause your brass to wear out faster.

Not to mention if you are planning on using your reloads with several different rifles (of that caliber).

Aloha, Mark
Mark makes a great point. You'll want to make sure you're sizing to the smallest chamber if you're going to use the ammo in several different guns.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top