JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As much as I dislike Florida (the wife grew up in Hialeah and Miami), and as much time as I've spent there, I have to say I am still considering the state as a possible retirement destination. I have family in Davie and like Southern college football.

The damn hurricane thing is a tad worrisome (one of the wife's BFFs has had to rebuild her beach house three times), but I can deal with humidity and mosquitoes, so long as my RKBA is being respected.
The hurricanes seem to be getting worse. And the damage worse. And the willingness of insurance companies to insure dropping.

2A is respected. After the last hurricane I was amused to hear Gov. Dr Santis saying he was pleased there was little looting. And reminded anyone who felt inclined to loot that most people had guns, and anyone who went sneaking around someone else's property might find something a lot worse than an alligator.

Just closed on the sale of the house in Florida.
I will miss it.

I hate bubba's and asshats as much or more than the next guy.
But I always managed to enjoy my time in Florida.
I will miss it.

The insurance companies and Libtards moving in from other areas are much more dangerous than wildlife, weather hysteria or dumbbubblegume locals.

Last Edited:
Nope. I definitely do not want to live anywhere in Florida, or Georgia, or either Carolina, Or Virginia, or DC, or Maryland, or New Jersey, or New York.
I spent two different years as a young kid in Florida. They are friendly toward military, and have no state income tax, so it was my parents' official state of residence. Back when I went to undergrad school, there was no tuition for instate students at Florida colleges and universities. So I was able to work my way through college at U of Florida. And two of my three most important science mentors were at UF.

As a kid I enjoyed the swamps, beaches, crystal clear gulf side waters, and the exotic wildlife of Florida, nirvana for a baby biologist. But I'm not very heat tolerant. So when I had the opportunity to choose, I chose Oregon, where I could physically enjoy the outdoors more. But I owe a deep debt of gratitude to my mentors at University of Florida--debt so deep it can never be paid back. It can only be passed on. This I have done in full, I believe, and continue to do so.

Ah yes, Florida…

Heat, humidity, sunshine, daily thunderstorms, gators, snakes, lizards and palmetto bugs…

Sigh…

I recall a 12 ft gator being pulled from one of the ponds in my neighborhood. That big boy was relocated to a more suitable environment for his size.

My only experience with Florida was swimming into a school of jellyfish in Pensacola.

I'd take that any day of the week over ever going to Portland again.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top