JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was tired of looking stuff up to price over and over for people so decided to make a spreadsheet to send out. Then I put formulas in it to auto calc everything + a custom cost calc. Thought I'd share it with the community for those who would like to use it for themselves.

If you don't know how to add more lines and copy the functions to a new line just let me know and I'll make the changes for you!

Can't Attach a .xlsx file so PM me if you would like a copy!

Posted on google docs, link is below image.

Forum Shrinks the picture a little bit so right-click and view image for full res
Spread.png

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...l0SNldFJZeG9lZUZjUl8wblFNLVVOeHFFUEE&hl=en_US

That's what I used haha I made this just to keep everything in one place w/o having to go back and forth between pages. If I can't sleep again I may even turn this into a Access database lol

The spreadsheet looks great.

Mark W.--- Both tools are very useful. I have also used the Handloading Cost Calculator for single round workups but the spreadsheet works far better for keeping track of group of loads.

I've used something similar in Excel but without all the formatting. I also keep track of performance data. Great for evaluating several powders for the same caliber/bullet weight.

If you anyone would like any changes or have recommendations/improvements just let me know! I can add anything you want if you don't know how!

ive already made the adjustments on mine, but i suggest doing a freeze pain on the categories at the top. That way you can scroll through your calibers, and still see what each category is. Real handy if you add a lot of calibers.

You sure went to an awful lot of work.:s0155:

I just look at reloading as another one of my hobbies.
Granted it keeps the cost of my shooting to a manageable
level. but to be truthful, it takes years to amortize the
cost of reloading and casting equipment. It's kind of like
1 mpg. with my boat. If I had to worry about it I would
give up boating. What would I do with my time? Besides,
my wife says, "It's cheaper than a mistress.":s0114::s0131:

Jack...:cool:

Having a handle on your reloading costs is always a great idea. It hurts when you can buy ammo to shoot for less than .20/rd. Usually, then it is not cost effective. Amortization of reloading equipment is a difficult beast to conquer. Addition of new and more equipment always seems to creep up. It is nice to view component costs, however, some of us, who have been reloading for awhile, might be using old numbers for powders, bullets, primers, and cases we purchased more than a year ago.. Reloading costs, numbers, Always can be skewed to cover costs to a more favorable number. When we purchase volume amounts of component's cost go way down also.. Call if you need help Sandy r 503-293-0714

I've been messing with a similar process, just calculating raw reloading cost is one thing, but tracking it all is a huge pita. The system I'm using has a web front end to a mysql database, which has two benefits, brushing up on my DB skills and perl skills. Since describing is easier than trying to take screen shots of everything it does, here goes: (Please note: I'm a commercial manufacturer, so not all of this will do you any good)

1) keeps track of loads and loading data. Database is searchable by caliber, bullet, powder, it just uses pull down tabs, so it's not really a search function, but it tracks each load, the test data for the load, and has a link to the load acceptance sheet that includes velocity, SD, ES, pressure data etc.

2) current stock; whenever something comes in it's scanned into inventory I use a barcode scanner, and the pricing data from the invoice is input. This also tracks lot numbers of everything. From this it generates a few management views, an "at a glance" so I know how many primers, powder and bullets I have (typically I don't track brass, but am working on it) This view breaks powder down by lots and then aggregates both the quantity and averages the price paid per pound. Helps a lot when it comes time to reorder

3) Current cost; shows a list of all the loads in the database, and computes my current cost for each, along with the MSRP/dealer/ext price and makes sure I'm sticking to the margins I set. If something is off the margin, I know that I need to change the price, either up (or hopefully down) in order to cover labor and shop expenses.

4) ordering function: when I am going to load a certain type of ammo, I will draw up a pick list for what type, what components etc. It will tell me (or an employee) to pull this powder, from this lot, this primer from this lot, it will then decrement the quantity of materials in inventory by the expected amount. the containers will be weighed in and out, and if there is a spill, that will be noted in the production log. Quality control also has input into this, saying how many rounds were made, how many were good, how many were bad. From here finished ammunition goes into the shelf stock or to fill orders.

5) shelf stock is kinda the reciprocal of the current stock function, it lets me know how much ammo I have on the shelf, what the lot numbers are of each, how long they have been sitting there, and what the production cost was.

I don't know if you want to include any kind of this functionality into your program, excel doesn't handle this very well (I started with excel, and then moved over to mysql/perl). If you do end up going with access, I know you can add a lot of this functionality to it.

Guys, guys, guys......its a HOBBY FFS......kind of reminds me of a convo I had with my bro before he retired...he was going to get a 5th wheel and go to all the places he and his wife talked about for years. When that did not happen, I asked him why, and his response was..."It didn't pencil out". He now has a terminal illness and lost that dream forever...the moral? Don't economically justify it...just DO it!

Evltwn,

Sorry about your brother, but not everyone here does this as a hobby, computing and analyzing costs are a critical part of the business cycle. The most important thing for the home loader is to keep track of what he does, not necessarily costs, but what each of his handloads are.

I remember one time I was at the range with my new .308, and we were just screwing around knocking over bowling pins at ranges between 100 and 400 yards, and this one pin at 200 yards was giving me lots of issues, and I had burned about 5 rounds trying to hit it. About then it hit me, I was shooting federal gold match at that pin, so missing that pin 5 times cost me $10. It was then that I decided to switch over to the cheaper american eagle that was only running about $.60 at the time :)

Nice spreadsheet! I made something similar but was making a separate worksheet for each caliber. Yours is easier to use.

One thing mine does differently is to allow to calculate for using the brass multiple times. i.e. enter that you expect to use the brass 5 times and the cost per round is calculated with that consideration.

Reloading Cost Spreadsheet

Trouble is just how many die sets we still have to buy guns for. Just how many presses can a guy use at one time? Did you buy that extra scale or trimmer Just because it was a great deal at the last gun show or garage sale? What about the neck turners and the case run out gauges. How many powder measures do you have? Never mind the casting equipment some may be inclined to get involved with. Include the powders we need just the few pounds here and there we purchase trying to get tighter groups. Then the bullets that just won't do what was intended. Ever make a mistake or think you might have did we count the bullet pulling and swedging stuff.
Now let's see we might need that new Dillon to save a bit more money and load a bunch faster.
Silver Hand

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads