JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Straight walled cases need three dies. They also provide a lot of flexibility when it comes to adjusting the expanding die when loading jacketed versus cast. Also, the carbide dies make lubing cases optional.

size and deprime with 1st die,flare the case neck a b it with the second,and seat/crimp with the third.that is how most work,there is an exception with older rcbs dies.
I prefer to buy a seperate crimp die,makes adjust ing the depth or crimp a lot easier,but u can do it with the one die.
one diff is rifle dies don't flare the case mouth,most all pistol dies do.Just enuff to set the bullet on is all u need.
any time u change bullet types,u end up having to re adjust the seat//crimp die,that is when uj will see what I mean about 2 dies for those operations.

You got it, no lube required with carbide pistol dies. However, i think a small amount of lube on every 5th case makes loading alot smoother. But that is with long 357mag cases fired in a sloppy Marlin chamber.

agree,I keep a few LIGHTLY lubed cases..just near the top..near the presss and grab one every now and then.with 45acp u almost can't tell the difffeence,with my 45 colt rounds it's a whole 'nuther thing,it do make a difference with those.
what brand dies did u get,and what kind of press are you using. ? hunter5

No, don't force it, it won't work. There are small pistol primer pocket .45 now so it's become a large pain in the ### to deal with that in regards to .45 loading. Best bet is to choose one size or the other and trade / sell the remainder off.

couple things to keep in mind with .45acp. Your powder will fill the case less than halfway so it is possible to double charge the case and not feel it when seating the bullet... just be aware of that. .45 acp head spaces off of the case mouth so crimping should be done cautiously and check by dropping a finished bullet into the the barrel and listen for a solid plunk. and apparently small rifle works but they are harder therefor if your gun does not have a very solid firing pin strike they probably wont work well.

You can use small pistol in 45acp brass that is small pistol brass. Alot of the newer bulk ammo is small pistol primer. You need to visually inspect each piece and sort by small primer and large primer pocket. They are NOT interchangeable.

couple things to keep in mind with .45acp. Your powder will fill the case less than halfway so it is possible to double charge the case and not feel it when seating the bullet... just be aware of that. .45 acp head spaces off of the case mouth so crimping should be done cautiously and check by dropping a finished bullet into the the barrel and listen for a solid plunk. and apparently small rifle works but they are harder therefor if your gun does not have a very solid firing pin strike they probably wont work well.

If you have time, help me understand this crimping thing in more detail. I use rcbs dies and rock chucked.

small rifle primers are 'hotter' than small pistol,because rifle ammo takes more powdeer per charge,and thus need a hotter flame for proper ignitiion.
using them in a pistol round could easily lead to an overpressure spike,is the general consensus on this.I would never use them in a pistol round not specifically designed for them,like the .454 Casull.
crimping means to squeeze the case mouth againgst the projectiel. in the case of jacketed bullets,you use a 'taper crimp' to just snug the brass up to the bullet.
for cast lead bullets with a crimp groove,.you use a 'roll crimp' to 'roll' the case mouth slightly into the groove on the bullet.

Hi Oregonhunter5,

If you want to check out the Whole Reloading thing buy the DVD "Precisioneered Handloading" out by RCBS you can fine it at Bi-Mart for about $10.00. The DVD shows Handguns, Rifles, & Shotgun reloading.
Once you have this you can view it before reloading to make sure that you are doing it wright.

Tony Portland, Oregon Area

Using small rifle primers in the small pistol pocket SHOULD be just fine, the problems that could happen are only 2, that I know.
1st. primer cap could actually be to hard for your 45. If so, your out of business there,
2nd, if worried, it might be to hot, just reduce 45 load by 1/2---> 1 grain powder, on 5 rds. test fire these, if no primer pressure signs, (flattened primer) then you good to go, even add back 1/2 -1 grain back to original load.. just my .o2c

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top