JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mission Spec is not listed here as a manufacturer who is listed as compliant.
https://www.justnet.org/app/tims/CPLReport.aspx

Dyneema UHMWPE has been proven time and again in tests to not be resistant to 62gr SS109/ M855A1 or faster small caliber bullets. :confused: most of the NIJ approved companies have websites that you can check out.

Edit. Mission Spec itself is not listed, but DKX Advanced Manufacturing is apparently on the NIJ list for the same model (DKX MAX 3). Mea culpa. :oops:

Last Edited:
AR500 sells something like that, I believe it is NIJ listed as level 3, about 3.5 pounds per plate. Last time I checked they were about $200 each. They are some type of polyethylene.

I browsed through the entire list. Seems DKX Advanced Manufacturing is indeed the manufacturer of the DKX MAX 3 model of the plates, and it is NIJ certified. However, you might want to do some homework, go through the NIJ list link that I posted, and you might be able to find other models for less money?

I was browsing YouTube vids the other day and ran across the ones below regarding Tactical Scorpion Gear. I don't have any personal experience with armor plates, but they seemed impressive.

Cool; but... the youtube tests are nearly worthless if they don't follow NIJ lab test protocols whose information can be freely found. :eek: by the way, the only NIJ0101.06 certified plate from Tactical Scorpion Gear is the steel TSG1012BRC model. NIJ0101.07 upcoming standard will eliminate nearly all the Polyethylene plates from the NIJ certified list for the rifle ratings.

NIJ tests are basically the following;
Block of oil based, nonhardening modeling clay in a rigid box with one open face on which the armor is to be mounted to in a carrier

Conditioned armor and carrier; this means 30 minutes minimum in 70 degree tap/purified water, 24 hr storage at 77 degrees, and a 10 degree thermal cycle test, as well as a drop test (all before shooting the thing)

Shot distance of 15 Meters with the calibers the NIJ requires. (Sure, try 5.56 ammo as well, NIJ 0101.07 has that info now)

6 shots+ per panel

Cool; but... the youtube tests are nearly worthless if they don't follow NIJ lab test protocols whose information can be freely found. :eek: by the way, the only NIJ0101.06 certified plate from Tactical Scorpion Gear is the steel TSG1012BRC model. NIJ0101.07 upcoming standard will eliminate nearly all the Polyethylene plates from the NIJ certified list for the rifle ratings.

NIJ tests are basically the following;
Block of oil based, nonhardening modeling clay in a rigid box with one open face on which the armor is to be mounted to in a carrier

Conditioned armor and carrier; this means 30 minutes minimum in 70 degree tap/purified water, 24 hr storage at 77 degrees, and a 10 degree thermal cycle test, as well as a drop test (all before shooting the thing)

Shot distance of 15 Meters with the calibers the NIJ requires. (Sure, try 5.56 ammo as well, NIJ 0101.07 has that info now)

6 shots+ per panel

1. The OP did not state "NIJ Certification" as a criteria, only "another brand that is lightweight and less expensive"
  2. My understanding is that military armor is not NIJ certified, but it still stops bullets
  3. Did you read the TSG webpage I linked? Though not certified, the manufacturer of the product states that it has been independently tested to an NIJ standard

1. The OP did not state "NIJ Certification" as a criteria, only "another brand that is lightweight and less expensive"
  2. My understanding is that military armor is not NIJ certified, but it still stops bullets
  3. Did you read the TSG webpage I linked? Though not certified, the manufacturer of the product states that it has been independently tested to an NIJ standard
Yes I did. The military has a different set of criteria. Also, the Pentagon has asserted that USGI body armor plates have never been authorized nor released for surplus sales. Basically if the ESAPI/SAPI plates have a US paint stamp, and a NSN and contract number, not a NIJ sticker, then its considered stolen property :eek:

The plate models the OP asked about, are indeed NIJ certified.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews