JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Carried a 2" SP101 snubby for a while.
For 357 at that barrel length, it tames the recoil better than any other snub revolver I've seen.
But heavy to carry. Ended up gifting it.

If you plan to carry, I'd go with one of the more elegant and lighter weight Smiths in 38 recommended earlier.

For thier purpose, as a close-in defensive handgun that is easy and comfortable to carry, the venerable Smith J- Frames are hard to beat. I too prefer the shrouded hammer or no hammer DAO models. They require some trigger time to become proficient for sure as they are not too comfy to shoot - however, if one puts some time in to getting good with it, it's a very good choice.

As an aside, I am also very happy with the Glock 26 for all the same reasons - plus, I find it easier to shoot accurately than the J-Frames ... a little less "cool" and "retro" but no less effective.

Could you elaborate?
Two issues I had with .327 Fed Mag and one of the Rugers.

One had to do with equipment. The Ruger Single Seven in .327 Fed Mag, as the name suggests was a seven shot cylinder. Which was crowding it. I had to send mine back to the factory because you couldn't reliably load a round into the cylinder with the gate open. They fixed that and afterward, it worked okay.

Second, I found the .327 Fed Mag to be a finicky cartridge to hand load. It only liked certain powders. I've read somewhere that Federal had a special powder that they used in it at the factory. It required small rifle primers for good ignition. Jacketed bullet selection is limited. Velocity spreads were all over the place. It wasn't particularly accurate, certainly not up to .32 H&R Magnum standards in my hands. My feeling is, the .327 Fed Mag was a sales gimmick, invented to convince people it was the equal of a .357 Mag only more controllable. Whatever. Sometimes, ideas can be pushed too far. Like the .357 Max. Yes, there are still a few adherents drinking the Koolaid.

Of course, you can always shoot .32 H&R Mag in a .327 Fed Mag revolver. I had an SP101 in .32 H&R Mag, later also the same gun in .327 Fed Mag, which didn't give me any mechanical problems but it was a six shot cylinder.

I've been one of those .32 revolver guys over the years. A couple of J frame .32 S&W Longs, several Colt and Smith & Wesson .32-20's, a couple of Smith Mod 16-4's, the SP101. Oh, and my little H&R R73 (with the first transfer bar safety, patented by H&R's chief engineer for the company) the gun that debuted the .32 H&R Magnum. So of course when the .327 Fed Mag came out, I just had to have a couple of those. Now the only .32 I've got is a chamber sleeve in .32 H&R Mag for .410 bore shotgun. Works well enough.

EDC is Plus P Smith Model 642, aluminum frame. Accurate after much practice. Carry in Galco holster. Gun fits coat pockets with no snagging. Easy in and out of rear pants pockets. Wear doing chores, all day trips to town, hunting, and have not found anything to be unhappy about it.

Anyone here have any experience with rock island armory m206? It is available at some places for under $250 and looks decent. Not quite S&W quality but seems to have good reviews.

I've just noticed the Charter Arms J-style Undercoverette six-shooter in 32 H&R. I suppose their answer to the old respected S&W Ladysmith. Browsing some forum discussions, surprisingly good reviews on the DA trigger action, very reasonable prices in the low $300s new.
-

Anyone here have any experience with rock island armory m206? It is available at some places for under $250 and looks decent. Not quite S&W quality but seems to have good reviews.
New to me. Looks interesting. Raked hammer spur like a Bisley, looks like it may drop down into the frame at full cocked. I'll see if I can find one at a local store.
-

I am missing, in my lineup, a good snubby. One could say that I've always made due with a larger package. But now, I need some help in being a tad more discrete - and I'm thinking, are small revolvers worth it?

38sp? 357? 327? Something else entirely? Ruger has always treated me well with single actions - what about the LCR? Are Smith's any good (new) or would you look for something older?

Anything you'd stay away from?
You already like Ruger, so snag an SP101, get it tuned up the way you like, and you're good to go.

C776B29B-3BFF-4576-A441-7129F5CE378B.jpeg

Scheels has a sales event special running 18-26 March on S&W 637 Chief's Special Airweight in 38 Spl +P. Price is $399 plus a $50 mail-in rebate. That's a nice 2" snubby for $349. But ... oddly, they don't list that revolver on their web site today. (I'm not a fan of Scheels' web site.)
-

the reason to have a snubby is small and light..
i had a 357 SW 66 2.5 " for a little while but sold it.
and kept a SW 66 4" 357 because is shoots better but not snub
my snobby is a SW 60 2" and lightweight SW 37
the 60 is way easier to shoot if you change to a hogue grip +P ammo ok
the 37 is so light you have to really practice to control it.
also needs a hogue. the 37 is way lighter more recoil and no +P ammo
both are older 80's SW , smoother action then the newer SW
i just happen to like SW

I am missing, in my lineup, a good snubby. One could say that I've always made due with a larger package. But now, I need some help in being a tad more discrete - and I'm thinking, are small revolvers worth it?

38sp? 357? 327? Something else entirely? Ruger has always treated me well with single actions - what about the LCR? Are Smith's any good (new) or would you look for something older?

Anything you'd stay away from?
SMITH 642 is great one. Had a pre 36 but determined it was not drop safe.. plus it was vintage 1952.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top