JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I've been kicking around this idea lately. I'm not up on all things bolt-action, so can someone recommend a rifle that:

• Is a bolt-action repeater.
  • In .223 Remington / 5.56x45㎜.
  • Wood stock or at least good aftermarket ones available. (A Mannlicher style stock would be nice, but is in no way a necessity.)
  • Threaded for a silencer.
  • Detachable box magazine a plus, but not a deal breaker.
  • Preferably under $2K, but can adjust as necessary.
The "what for" answer:

• Varmints.
  • Target shooting.
Thanks much. :)

I would highly recommend the CZ 527 carbine. They now have a threaded barrel version with better twist rates, 1:9 over the 1:12; be sure you find the one that is stamped 1:9. They used to make a Mannlicher style version but I think they discontinued it. Has a set trigger, which is two steps to heaven, great for your varmint/ target shoots. And, since it is European made, it may be stamped 223 Rem but you can shoot 5.56 NATO without worry.

I was in the same situation, looking for the this type of bolt rifle but gave up. I want the CZ 527 EuroVarmint, which is a tapered, heavy barrel in 24 or 25.6 in barrel.

Good luck.

Ruger makes the American Ranch in 5.56/.223 - it fits nearly all of your criteria. The stock is a molded unit with metal inserts (which bed the action reasonably well) and aftermarket replacements are available. Otherwise, the barrel is threaded, they take AR mags, plenty accurate (for me) even with bulk ammo, short barrel & low price make it portable & easy to throw in the truck and not worry about...

They're more smash-around than bench-rest beauty; not sure if that's what you're after or not! I sure like mine.

Cheers,

One thing to think on a bit, most Bolty's have the slow twist barrels, so up to 55 grain, not really an issue, but if you really want to stretch your legs for those far sqeaks, you want the faster twists, and Savage and Mossberg seem to have figured this little detail out! For the money, hard to beat Savage! WHich will leave you plenty left over for outrageously priced and non existent ammo! :eek:

Thanks all for the ideas. All of those have solid merit; much appreciated.

Of the four mentioned, I'm really digging the CZ. Is there any reason one couldn't put this stock:

cz-usa-cz-527-carbine.png

On the silencer ready model:
527SuppressorReady.png

(Presumably that would be easier, though I could always have a gunsmith thread one. @Velzey does great work in that regard.)

Tikka and CZ are the two that come to mind but neither has an option that will check all your boxes. I think the only way to check all your boxes would be a custom build at this point.

With a $2k budget I would be looking into a custom action with a Remington 700 footprint. Then you can pick your action, barrel, twist rate, chamber, trigger group, barrel contour, barrel length, detachable bottom metal, etc.... Good options for custom actions and prefit barrels like the Bighorn Origin. Here is just one example of the options you have: Bighorn Arms Origin Barreled Action, add a premium trigger like a trigger tech diamond, your choice of detachable bottom metal and then a wood Remington 700 stock and you are good to go.

Only box it doesn't check is the mannlicher stock which would require going the custom stock route. A threaded barrel in conjunction with a mannlicher stock is going to be a tough one to find in a factory produced gun. Probably a reasonable chance of finding that configuration in western Europe where suppressors are the norm and mannlicher stocks much more prevalent.

Of the four mentioned, I'm really digging the CZ. Is there any reason one couldn't put this stock:

View attachment 747164

View attachment 747165

(Presumably that would be easier, though I could always have a gunsmith thread one. @Velzey does great work in that regard.)

Stocks should interchange. Have the 527 synthetic suppressor ready model in 7.62x39 waiting on an optic and the suppressor to get out of jail. Really like the quality of the rifle and looking forward to getting that build complete.

Been pretty happy with my Savage model II (Roman numerals) and it's sub $300 price tag. At 200 yards, hitting the 2" spinner is almost a gimme with wolf/Tula/frontier/whatever standard 55gr bullet. *Sigh* but it doesn't come with a wood stock from the factory.

View attachment 747164

View attachment 747165

I'd buy the 527 American and have it threaded to a pitch you want based on what cans you have. The factory threaded CZ might have some commie thread pitch.

View attachment 747164

View attachment 747165

I have a few CZ 527 bolt actions, including two carbines in .223 and 7.62x39, and a suppressor ready Model in 300 BLK. I haven't tried swapping stocks, but don't see why they wouldn't interchange. A call to CZ USA to verify is probably your safest bet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top