JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is this for using subsonic rounds?

No, standard loads.

Humm... Let me think outside the box as follows:

- go to your safe and get take out a .223 AR that you can "work with"

- replace the BCG with a Kali Key:

- add some type of wood furniture like:

- add other features to suit

Now you will have a one of a kind CountryGent original.

Good luck with your choices on a new rifle OP!

Thanks for thinking out of the box. I only have one AR at the moment and won't be modifying it further.

469857-2413d29391e64c56d3b4e09ba2501c08-jpg.538922

View attachment 774296

Downsides:

Probably not going to be able to thread the barrel easily - have to talk to @Velzey to see if it is possible - if anybody could do it, I think it would be him.
1:12 twist rate - probably not good for heavier projectiles.
Availability?

Oh my, that is a beauty. But good point concerning threading. No idea on availability but a lot of firearms I've been looking for are unavailable.

I recall that 450. Shame it didn't turn out. I had a 308 scout a ways back and it was an amazing rifle. I've passed before on the 556, if it ran AR magazines like the American line, I'd be all over it.

The .450 BM was a sad state of affairs. I have no idea if the bolt issue was unique to that rifle or something to be concerned about. It was about as smooth as I'd imagine the gearshift on a 1986 Bulgarian car would be. You mentioned the .308 Win version being good though, so maybe it was just that one.

Oh my, that is a beauty. But good point concerning threading. No idea on availability but a lot of firearms I've been looking for are unavailable.

I believe it would depend on how much the barrel sticks out past the stock. I once talked to Velzey about doing something similar where the barrel of a lever action extended slightly beyond the tube mag, and he felt he could do it, and from what I have seen he did something similar for other lever actions.

I believe it would depend on how much the barrel sticks out past the stock. I once talked to Velzey about doing something similar where the barrel of a lever action extended slightly beyond the tube mag, and he felt he could do it, and from what I have seen he did something similar for other lever actions.

Interesting. If it could be done, that rifle would hit all the points beautifully. :D

Without reading all three pages.

Mossberg MVP. I've wanted one since they came out, but haven't bought one because I have no use for a .223 chambered bolt action at this time. They are cool though!

Quite a few mentions of the Ruger American Ranch. Wanted to bring to everyone's attention that Ruger also makes a longer barreled American Predator, which also ticks all your boxes. .223 Rem, 1:8 twist, 22" threaded barrel, takes AR box mags, well under $2k - $550. Comes with synthetic stock, though I think it has aftermarket wooden stocks.

Not as fancy as the CZ or Tikka's but does the job.

Quite a few mentions of the Ruger American Ranch. Wanted to bring to everyone's attention that Ruger also makes a longer barreled American Predator, which also ticks all your boxes. .223 Rem, 1:8 twist, 22" threaded barrel, takes AR box mags, well under $2k - $550. Comes with synthetic stock, though I think it has aftermarket wooden stocks.

Not as fancy as the CZ or Tikka's but does the job.

I owned a Ruger american and sold it at a loss. You couldn't pay me to buy another Ruger that damn thing sucked!!!!

Care to share the details?

Took it to the range three or four times. every time I took it to the range I ran 100 plus rounds through it with different bullet weights. I did everything I could to test that damn thing and give it a chance. At a 100 yards I couldn't get that thing to group up to save my life and just lost interest so I sold it. In my humble opinion going to the range shouldn't be that much work and frustration. Sold it built a side charge AR and never looked back.

I do still want a bolt action 223/556 but it won't be a Ruger!!

Took it to the range three or four times. every time I took it to the range I ran 100 plus rounds through it with different bullet weights. I did everything I could to test that damn thing and give it a chance. At a 100 yards I couldn't get that thing to group up to save my life and just lost interest so I sold it. In my humble opinion going to the range shouldn't be that much work and frustration. Sold it built a side charge AR and never looked back.

I do still want a bolt action 223/556 but it won't be a Ruger!!
Appreciate the feedback.
I had a Remington 700 like that. Frustrated the crap out of me!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top