JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's time to sell, I ain't getting any younger and my family says they don't want my guns.

114 is going to make selling in Oregon difficult but not impossible but I suspect I will be selling out of state.

Too bad really because I have collected since I was nine and have good stuff to sell.

Can't cry over spilt milk and life changes, you just learn to go another direction.

Plan is to first take the guns out and shoot them one last time, clean them and put them up for sale.

Probably get the most value on gun broker but will post them up first at my gun club, I am a life member.

Guys at the club pay their dues so I will give them first choice.

Our membership has proven to be great people.

I would sell to friends but most are too old and would just sell to someone else.

I will be posting up accessories at good prices here and anything you buy a portion will go to NWF.

Keep an eye out if you want so good quality gear.

Kinda the wrong time to sell as inflation is destroying the dollar. Put the money in the bank for a year and it's lost 10% of it value.

Values are up if a man bought years ago and no matter what the guns are worth more today.

Try posting your for sale ads on Southwest Firearms instead of GunBroker.

Regardless of age it is refreshing to downsize physical possessions. Good luck to you.
THIS is true! Been there - done that. Doing it some MORE now @ 72 years old too.

~~~

List them here and on the other SW place. Try other online places if you can. Some of them are free from what I gather.

Since you are DOWNSIZING and maybe (?) doing a MASSIVE CALIBER CONSOLIDATION...

Find out about LOCAL FFL commission prices since you do NOT want a FULL IN STORE CREDIT to BUY more guns and gun related STUFF if you DO DECIDE to list them on CONSIGNMENT in OREGON.

Check out some good AUCTION places (They do living and dead ESTATE SALES!) around the country too.

I don't know jack squat about GUN BROKER. I never sold anything there and I never bought anything from them.

One trusted MT dealer of mine did list one of my guns on Guns America (?) and a guy that I KNEW well on another forum in another state did buy it from my DEALER several years ago. MY MT DEALER and I spoke about the potential SALE before IT WAS LISTED ONLINE since I asked my dealer about the potential buyer that I knew ONLINE for several YEARS on one and more forums. Mainly one forum.

He/the buyer KNEW that it was MY gun and he was very happy with my former Stevens Favorite (?) made by Savage. Bought NIB by me and it was NOT an antique or super - super old. It was the classic design and LOOK - single shot, wood stock, 22lr rifle. That was the ONLY time that I had ANY gun listed on a big - formal gun commission website like that and I am pretty sure it was Guns America = lower cost and it still got EXPOSURE.

My dealer up by Flathead Lake (Old store and now closed due to retirement.) used them for some BIG estate sales for more exposure and not just for locals and tourists or for rich people with MT vacation homes. The BUYER of my Stevens rifle was/is a collector of single shot rifles and my rifle was in excellent condition. I and/or we take good care of what we own be it a firearm or any other thing. My late husband was the same way. My late husband ONLY owned a few firearms in his entire lifetime by HIS choice in only 2 calibers - 22lr and 357 Magnum.

However, if something has good honest wear (In a holster - daily use.) and it is in good shooting condition - there is nothing wrong with that too. Or for any other gun that has good and honest wear.

One thing, if an OREGON BUYER wants something of yours, he or she can SEE IT in person if you CHOOSE to DO this, do the transfer at the FFL - maybe the 3 day deal wait (?!), and the BUYER KNOWS that the sale is FINAL. You get what you want MONEY WISE for the gun or guns and move on.

And if an OLD friend wants to buy something of yours whether they keep it, gift it or sell it later on - that is THEIR own choice and decision to make since you sold it to them, you got your ASKING PRICE, everyone is happy with a good, fair, agreeable and HONEST sale.

Move on - once it is sold and BOTH PARTIES are happy - it is a win win.

I understand (?) that you will keep 1 or 2 firearms in your home for protection. Plus the ammunition to feed them.

If you sell ALL OF THEM - get some good protection pepper (?) spray if you use that stuff. Keep a good quality knife or a few of them and a good axe.

Best wishes with your sales!

I have some other ideas but what worked for me in MY former state and here in Montana may NOT work for you or you may not want to do some things as I did in the PAST before my big move. Most of the sales back east were NOT firearms.

I only sold AND gifted a few firearms, BACK EAST, before my big move after my late husband died.

I did SELL and gift a LOT of STUFF over the years before my late husband's cancer discovery and death back there in the house that we built and lived in for over 30 years but a HUGE AMOUNT was from that big brick house, a huge garage with a loft and a small barn AFTER he died. We were planning ahead for retirement and downsizing but he barely made it to 56 years old.

Before and after he died: Tractors, snow plows, snow blowers, mowers, TOOLS and more tools from a to z, sail and power boats, cars and trucks over many years, Honda scooter, BMW RT 800 (Boxer engine.) like the police used/use in Germany during his one military time frame, furniture, clocks, etc.

Plus how my MT husband and I did our own firearm MASSIVE DOWNSIZING and caliber consolidation before and after his retirement. We did not need or want the money in CASH so MOST of the time we used a FULL IN STORE CREDIT for some goods and not just for firearms that worked for my MT husband with his own physical and aging issues. The one dealer worked that way for a LOT of our stuff. Another dealer did gun shows and had a STORE too. He took less of a commission but he knew that my husband wanted something else from him too.

The OTHER GUN RELATED STUFF = I sold for my husband and what he agreed on when it came to some factory ammunition, some reloading stuff, holsters, etc. We GIFTED a lot of stuff including some holsters and knives to friends and to some good charities too. New and old GUN magazines and books to read.

If you are interested in any other ideas - post it here and I will try to get back to you.

I can't remember if you reload or not. Many people HERE would be interested in that stuff if you have any to sell.

Best wishes to you again. Take care!

Cate

Last Edited:
@Longwalkhome , I'm still hopefully far from the point in life that you are, but I can see the writing on the wall. Not only with guns, but with some of my car stuff.
I don't have many to pass things onto and when the time comes, I might as well turn the objects into dollars.
I've done it before for a couple of different reasons and it is nice to be able to open the safe and not have things falling out to greet me!

Good luck on your journey and don't forget to give us a shot at your good stuff!

I've had a triple bypass in the past year, so I;m kinda in a similar situation, but I started moving iron when it went nuts (Biden) over the last couple of years. I sold off 11 SKSs, 2 A5 Brownings, a vz24, a Spanish 1916, an Ishapore 2A1, my only AR, and a Marlin 60. I'm down to 70 rifles and 15 pistols. I did buy 3 rifles and 2 pistols though :cool: PAX

I was thinking kind of the same thing, getting old time to down size to make it easy on my kids. But then I realized I still enjoy my life and firearms and ammunition are a big part of that. So it came down to is it about me right now or them. I figure there will be time on down the road to deal with this stuff and if not, well, I'll be gone anyway and they will just have to figure it out on their own. my .02 worth what you paid for it.

@Longwalkhome , I'm still hopefully far from the point in life that you are, but I can see the writing on the wall. Not only with guns, but with some of my car stuff.
I don't have many to pass things onto and when the time comes, I might as well turn the objects into dollars.
I've done it before for a couple of different reasons and it is nice to be able to open the safe and not have things falling out to greet me!

Good luck on your journey and don't forget to give us a shot at your good stuff.
Tough to sell things we accumulated over a lifetime especially in this time of change. I kinda see a future where car parts will be worth gold when they force ev on us. Nobody will be making car parts for gas rigs.

I don't need the money and like I said my daughter said she only wants a few guns. Too bad she never married, her husband would be a happy man when I kick off...due to the estate he would get. I wonder who will get my Diesel pickup?

My sales haven't begun yet as I have some dental work slowing me down. Broke a tooth and don't want to get out much. Can't get it pulled until March because they are booked solid.. Can't even get out to meet anyone as the cold air on that tooth nearly makes me pee my pants.:eek:

Tough to sell things we accumulated over a lifetime especially in this time of change. I kinda see a future where car parts will be worth gold when they force ev on us. Nobody will be making car parts for gas rigs.

I don't need the money and like I said my daughter said she only wants a few guns. Too bad she never married, her husband would be a happy man when I kick off...due to the estate he would get. I wonder who will get my Diesel pickup?

My sales haven't begun yet as I have some dental work slowing me down. Broke a tooth and don't want to get out much. Can't get it pulled until March because they are booked solid.. Can't even get out to meet anyone as the cold air on that tooth nearly makes me pee my pants.:eek:
Hello,

I am sorry to hear about your dental issues and not getting immediate care for such an emergency! That is nuts when it comes to getting in to see a dentist! I would be calling other dentists if you have not done this already.

Maybe you can sit in your warm truck and you and your daughter can go to a range - your club.

She can shoot what she wants in your guns and you can ENJOY A DAY OUT of the house but stay INSIDE of a warm truck. She or you can clean them in a warm area.

Then whatever she likes and what YOU decide to give her - she can get the gift early and not deal with an estate issue or a will or trust.

We have gifted guns already. My MT husband gifted many of them to his 'family' LONG ago, over the years, and to some friends.

Me too when it came to CLOSE friends.

We gave 2 SAVAGE RASCAL black 22lr rifles to our range so people of ALL AGES not just kids can LEARN TO SHOOT. People in a w/c can shoot these easily too.

I never had children with my late husband.

My older brother (81 years old now.) and older sister are sickly and they don't want or need what I previously offered to them in the PAST or present. Shy of a couple of GOLD ITEMS - my brother and sister got what I chose to give them - $$$$$ and it was years ago.

Plus some gifted books of mine that did not go to friends or to the libraries back east and out here. (I only sold ONE big classic gun book. The rest got donated.)

My nephew - my older brother's adult son is not into guns (He is NOT an anti gun person. He is just not INTO THEM.) but he is into ALL kinds of electronic and other things like that. The nephew went to college for all kinds of computer stuff and has a VERY good job - $$$$$ in MD.

He does enjoy the water (Swims and jet skis.) and he won a bunch of awards (Jr. Olympics.) for skating when he was younger too.

My older brother's 2 adult daughters are not INTO guns a lot but I do think that one of them owns a handgun in PA and the other one owns a shotgun in MD for house protection. That is what my brother told me when I made offers of firearms and other STUFF in the past.

ALL of them have their own houses full of STUFF and don't want or need more stuff.

My older sister is back into her assisted living place but is still getting HOSPICE care and not just for that OLD transplant @ Johns-Hopkins before her move to FL. I took care of her and drove her home from the J-H Hospital to her place in MD even though I was living out of state at the time.

Life goes on!

ENJOY what you have when you can but don't neglect the future when it comes to good planning.

WE make plans!

GOD may have other plans for us at any AGE!

Blessings to you and I hope that you can get in sooner to see a dentist.

Sincerely,

Cate

It's time to sell, I ain't getting any younger and my family says they don't want my guns.

114 is going to make selling in Oregon difficult but not impossible but I suspect I will be selling out of state....
Oh I get this. I've accumulated a fair collection over a lot of years. I would like to downsize. My Boy has a recently kindled interest in guns, but he does not take it seriously enough to be the caretaker of such a collection. Background checks, and other laws including 114, although on hold, still has made sales within this state nearly impossible. With the big shippers making the private shipments of guns also so difficult, my guns languish in safes.

I've sold a few, but 114 especially, has made any interest in my offerings nearly non-existent. I'd like to move and downsize other things as well, but I've got so much stuff that seems to have little or no interest to younger generations. Retired from the trades, I have many tools I will likely never use again. I've tried many times, but tools have little interest to folks.

This is all a dilemma that haunts me.

Last Edited:
Oh I get this. I've accumulated a fair collection over a lot of years. I would like to downsize. My Boy has a recently kindled interest in guns, but he does not take it seriously enough to be the caretaker of such a collection. Background checks, and other laws including 114, although on hold, still has made sales within this state nearly impossible. With the big shippers making the private shipments of guns also so difficult, my guns languish in safes.

I've sold a few, but 114 especially, has made any interest in my offerings nearly non-existent. I'd like to move and downsize other things as well, but I've got so much stuff that seems to have little or no interest to younger generations. Retired from the trades, I have many tools I will likely never use again. I've tried many times, but tools have little interest to folks.

This is all a dilemma that haunts me.

I have thought about getting an FFL to sell my guns but don't have enough guns to make it worth the trouble.

My retirement plan was to travel with my wife in the warmer regions of the US and hit the gun shows for fun. Wife died of cancer before we retired so that plan failed. So it's either ride this 114 out and sell or move out of state to a free state that you can sell your property as you please. Going to have to make up my mind soon, moving with interest rates rising will be expensive.

I get the maximize the return on investment aspect of selling firearms. That being said there is something to be said for letting someone else deal with the details like background checks and wait periods. I'm not ready to downsize yet because my guns are test fixtures for my business. When I'm done making ammo I'll sell out right some of the test fixtures to a local gun dealer and keep the most favorites. Sure I could make more money selling them here or going walk about at gun shows but done is done and the hassle is theirs. My thought is to sell maybe a half a dozen at a time for some walk around/traveling money.

I get the maximize the return on investment aspect of selling firearms. That being said there is something to be said for letting someone else deal with the details like background checks and wait periods. I'm not ready to downsize yet because my guns are test fixtures for my business. When I'm done making ammo I'll sell out right some of the test fixtures to a local gun dealer and keep the most favorites. Sure I could make more money selling them here or going walk about at gun shows but done is done and the hassle is theirs. My thought is to sell maybe a half a dozen at a time for some walk around/traveling money.
There was a time in Oregon before the voters took our property rights away that we could buy and sell our guns without the tax and paperwork. You cold set up at a gun show and sell to neighbors and friends as you pleased.

Seems the voters are destroying our ability in this state to have free commerce because they live in fear. Sad American culture has turned this way but still I can figure a way to move my stuff before I die. Lots of time left, won't die tommorrow. Oregon sure changed in the 71 years I lived here, it used to be a free state.

There was a time in Oregon before the voters took our property rights away that we could buy and sell our guns without the tax and paperwork. You cold set up at a gun show and sell to neighbors and friends as you pleased.

Seems the voters are destroying our ability in this state to have free commerce because they live in fear. Sad American culture has turned this way but still I can figure a way to move my stuff before I die. Lots of time left, won't die tommorrow. Oregon sure changed in the 71 years I lived here, it used to be a free state.
I get that, I'll be 67 this year and have seen lots of unfavorable changes over that time.

C&R cash and carry ended in Kali in 2014, much suckage, PAX

I get that, I'll be 67 this year and have seen lots of unfavorable changes over that time.
Seems it was the voters that screwed the state but it was the government that put the gun bills on the ballot. Like 114 should never have been approved but here it is and now we deal with it. Honestly glad I am not a young man in this state, he has no future the way its run.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top