JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can bet the Seattle media will jump on this one and milk it for all its worth
I'm hoping that reporters do some actual digging into this guys background, especially gang activity. I found a pic of him on the US News site where he is posing with his shirt off and not holding any firearms, and it looks to me that he has gang tattoos - probably White Supremacist. I am unable to save the picture but it can be viewed here

<broken link removed>

If someone here can save the pic and post it here it would be much appreciated

it sounds like he was having a hard time adapting to the world he came home to and then as a thank you for serving our country he was told he couldn't see his child.i know it was for the childs safety but still he just seen his world fall apart after fighting in iraq.
his parents worried for years about their son im sure dying in iraq just to have him come home already dead inside and now have lost a son,a brother,a friend.
i am not justifying this guys actions but it is sad he didn't find the reward every soldier coming home from the sandbox deserves.
a good job,support,and people who cared enough to help him re-adapt.

as for the park ranger and her family it is very sad that she lost her life just for doing her job and will never get to see her girls graduate or get married or meet her grandchildren.god rest her soul!

everyone lost someone in this whole deal and it's sad,it really is and we can judge this guy because he really did do a bad thing but
at 24 i can remember feeling helpless and searching for answers that never came and i didn't have ptsd working against me like he did.

looks like a sweetheart of a guy

he looks like a soldier...a man who seen friends die....looks like he was probably a nice kid at one time.
the way the liberals treated vietnam soldiers when they came home,and the way liberals treat our irag-afghan soldiers this time around you better prepare to see more of this kind of thing....it's easy to judge a guy but till you march a mile in his shoes at120 degrees in the sand dodging ied's you will never know why he snapped.

Here's the irrational mentality that makes me believe that we are all doomed to die. This is from the bottom of an AP article.

"The shooting renewed debate about a federal law that made it legal for people to take loaded weapons into Mount Rainier. The 2010 law made possession of firearms in national parks subject to state gun laws.

Bill Wade, the outgoing chair of the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees, said Congress should be regretting its decision to allow loaded weapons in national parks.

He called Sunday's fatal shooting a tragedy that could have been prevented. He hopes Congress will reconsider the law that took effect in early 2010, but doubts that will happen in today's political climate."

How many guys came home from 'Nam and Iraq and Afghanistan with PTSD, really hurting and without support, but somehow still couldn't just go out killing people? Many, many killed themselves.

Who and what we are goes beyond our circumstances. Some of us still believe in, and have experienced evil. Others don't and blame most things on circumstances. I won't argue that point of view - it's personal.

I long ago decided that if things were truly bad enough for me I could kill myself, but never an innocent person. I don't believe anything could cause me to do that.

Here's the irrational mentality that makes me believe that we are all doomed to die. This is from the bottom of an AP article.

"The shooting renewed debate about a federal law that made it legal for people to take loaded weapons into Mount Rainier. The 2010 law made possession of firearms in national parks subject to state gun laws.

Bill Wade, the outgoing chair of the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees, said Congress should be regretting its decision to allow loaded weapons in national parks.

He called Sunday's fatal shooting a tragedy that could have been prevented. He hopes Congress will reconsider the law that took effect in early 2010, but doubts that will happen in today's political climate."

I hope he's a minority. Our guns laws have been getting better lately, not worse, and more people own and support owning guns.

it sounds like he was having a hard time adapting to the world he came home to
It appears to me he had a hard time adapting to the world long before he came home from the 'Sandbox' and possibly long before he went. The crude hieroglyphics on his body are evidence of that. Whatever part of his world that fell apart did so do to a sequence of events that happened - some he could not control and some he could have controlled but choose the wrong method of doing so. He was told he could not see his child by the legal system and not by the world as a sarcastic Thank you. When he picked up the gun and headed out he made the definitive choice he most certainly would never see his child again.

Evacuee Dinh Jackson, a mother from Olympia, Wash., who came to Mount Rainier to sled with family and friends Sunday, said officials ordered people to hurry into the lodge after the shooting that killed a park ranger.

Officials had everyone get on their knees and place hands behind their heads as they went through the building, looking at faces to make sure the gunman was not among them, Jackson said.

"That was scary for the kids," she said.

This is complete BS. Women and kids on their knees with hands behind their heads? Somebody needs a kick in the pants and a new career.

This is complete BS. Women and kids on their knees with hands behind their heads? Somebody needs a kick in the pants and a new career.

==================================================================

Maybe?

I think it is safe to say who ever was in charge at the Lodge was not your typical first responder, under stress, grieving,,,,

I must say I wonder what my response to such a demand would of been (on your knees), how would a typical sheep know whom was the threat. For the visitors to the park it could be reasonable to consider all persons, rangers included as a threat.

I think your response would be to comply. If all I had to do to make them more comfortable was to get down on my knees and put my hands behind my head (as I now understand it) I could still draw mighty fast.

How many guys came home from 'Nam and Iraq and Afghanistan with PTSD, really hurting and without support, but somehow still couldn't just go out killing people? Many, many killed themselves.

Who and what we are goes beyond our circumstances. Some of us still believe in, and have experienced evil. Others don't and blame most things on circumstances. I won't argue that point of view - it's personal.

I long ago decided that if things were truly bad enough for me I could kill myself, but never an innocent person. I don't believe anything could cause me to do that.
Amen Gunner..

Gun rights, parks gun law blamed for slaying

Found dead Monday lying face down in a snowy forest, Benjamin Carlton Barnes is sharing blame for his actions on New Year’s Day that left four people in a Seattle hospital with gunshot wounds and a Mount Rainier National Park ranger dead.

<broken link removed>

Gun rights, parks gun law blamed for slaying

Found dead Monday lying face down in a snowy forest, Benjamin Carlton Barnes is sharing blame for his actions on New Year's Day that left four people in a Seattle hospital with gunshot wounds and a Mount Rainier National Park ranger dead.

<broken link removed>

Good article, Dave.

Howdy folks, Bill WAde the outgoing founder of the Coalition of national park service retirees made some pretty nasty comments politicizing the tragic shooting of the ranger on Mt.raineer yesterday. He believes that laws banning guns in parks would have prevented the murder.

Tell him what you think

Heres his email:
[email protected]

We are all "rubber nickers" here looking into a story the news is laying out for us to read and furthermore into the life of one broken soldier... Needless to say, this individual had a major fracture and his pain, violence, depression and chaos was projected onto others which caused major damage (used lightly here).

He was a broken individual; regardless of before, during or after military service, came home to a perfect storm which caused this to happen. My respect, prayers and sympathy goes out to all affect families involved... Which DOES NOT exclude the soldiers family, everyone lost this weekend...

Anyone have stats on the number of Federal park rangers killed on duty in say the last 50 years?

On a side note, I was at the Fort Clatsop NP a few weeks ago and while there were no handgun signs on the doors there was also a sign that said something about the allowing of handguns on NP grounds. I am thinking that I am a bit peeved that the little signs with guns and the circle/line symbol thru them should've been taken off sometime ago.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top