JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I was in the service - two tours in Viet Nam. And I just finished 2 1/2 years travelling with the Army across Afghanistan.

The worst part of this news coverage is the repeated fact that he was an Iraq war vet so that somehow some sort of gov't system is to blame. Wrong!! The Army did not build this whacko, he was nuts long before the Army kicked him out. People are people.

Yes people are people.Having been in any branch of service doesn't always make you better or worse. The like to say "A veteran was gunned down...." Aaahhhh,what got him to the point of the cops coming for him? Was he one that was forced into service in lieu of jail?

And here,they are saying things about PTSD. I have 2 friends with PTSD.One is working for the National Guard at Murray and the other is in Afghanistan working on those little bomb robots.
You know,holding down jobs?

People are just people. Veteran or not some are good and some aren't so good. This guy died appropriately for what he had done.

Why would someone instruct a park ranger, whether armed or not, to intercept a fleeing subject -someone who was supposedly already identified and assumed to be heavily armed and dangerous?

Why would someone instruct a park ranger, whether armed or not, to intercept a fleeing subject -someone who was supposedly already identified and assumed to be heavily armed and dangerous?

They didn't know he was heavily armed or dangerous- they only knew that he didn't stop at a snow-traction checkpoint. He failed to stop for Rangers, so Rangers attempted to do what Rangers are tasked with: enforce the laws and regulations of the park.

Can you guys read the bubbleguming articles and/or the thread? About half the comments in this thread could have been prevented by reading first.

I've read the articles here, as well as others floating around the web. There are varying reports of things like shells found on scene at the party shooting, police apb, and him being a person of interest from the party shooting.

I've never been stopped for not putting chains on a personal/non-commercial vehicle.

I've read the articles here, as well as others floating around the web. There are varying reports of things like shells found on scene at the party shooting, police apb, and him being a person of interest from the party shooting.

I've never been stopped for not putting chains on a personal/non-commercial vehicle.

You ever been to Mount Rainier National Park in the winter?
Ever been across White Pass, or Stevens, or Snoqualmie when chains are required? If you didn't get stopped, somebody was asleep at the wheel.

MEANWHILE

Gun owners coming through for ranger’s family; killer ‘kind of a jerk’

Firearms owners are digging into their pockets and wallets to support a benefit fund, announced Tuesday on SeattleGuns.net, for the family of fallen Mount Rainier National Park Ranger Margaret Anderson.

<broken link removed>

Yes yes, "high elevation" passes. I'll give you this, the snow does tend to be wetter in this region. Point wasn't to troll for a pissing match about who's driven over higher or trickier passes in the winter, whether or not chain laws were in effect - although this kind of stuff applying to private vehicles still bugs me. (I am used to it only applying to commercial vehicles lol).

Anyways, point was - there are conflicting stories as to why they ranger was told to attempt a roadblock. If one where to believe that the subject was actually being chased due to his involvement with the earlier shooting it conflicts with the story stating they were attempting to stop him for a safety check.

Doesn't matter *why* the stop was initiated - she was a law enforcement officer attempting to stop a vehicle that had already bypassed other law enforcement officers and refusing to stop. It's kind of in the job description. Rangers are also used to working without backup on scene - and had she NOT attempted the stop - this guy would've easily wound up at the lodge at the dead end of the road - a lodge that was supposed to be full of people.

Even in death - this ranger may very well have prevented other people from being killed or seriously injured. She stopped him from making it to the lodge and forced him to go afoot - thereby leading to his demise since he wasn't prepared for the winter conditions on a mountain. She did her job. It's a shame she had to die doing it.

OK - I'll not argue that she may have stopped him from harming others. I'm not trying to discredit her or disrespect the dead at all, merely questioning her superiors and what really went on there.

OK - I'll not argue that she may have stopped him from harming others. I'm not trying to discredit her or disrespect the dead at all, merely questioning her superiors and what really went on there.

Probably happened very quickly and quick decisions had to be made. She may only have had info that someone was fleeing in her direction. They probably didn't know this was the same guy wanted for shooting up a house party. Sometimes information doesn't get shared quickly between local and federal LE agencies. We won't know what was known until they release more details about this - which probably won't be for a few more days at least.

It may very well be that the only thing this guy was getting stopped by rangers for was blowing by a chain-up required checkpoint, and they didn't know he had intentions of murdering people. I'm sure their hackles were up over his fleeing - she probably was going to draw down on him once out of her vehicle. She just never got that chance - he had murder on his mind before his truck stopped and it sounds like he came out the door shooting before she even got out. Hope the details are forthcoming sooner, rather than later so instead of speculating, we know the truth.

This basically shows what an article I referred to in a thread about training.
A serial killer,or multiple murder convict was letting the police interview him.He wasn't going anywhere for...LIFE.
He laughed at the training films.They asked why.He said people like him didn't think the same as the cops.All that training was a joke.

This incident kinda sums that up. He had no intentions of doing anything but killing folk. And unfortunately she was next in the way.Swat training wouldn't have helped when he just started shooting at her. Or should I say aiming directly at her.
If the bad guy has no remorse and a LEO has just a smidgin,the bad guy has the edge. Cops think about collateral damage.Bad guys think about escape.
Only thing she could have done different was to stop back and have her weapon out the window. And how would that have gone over if another car was in front of him? I think if it was a swat team,the first guy would have died by his hand.

Anti-gunners, including Dicks, still try to exploit Rainier tragedy

Gun prohibitionists are still trying to exploit the tragic slaying of Mount Rainier National Park Ranger Margaret Anderson, for whom a memorial candlelight ceremony will be held Sunday evening in Eatonville.

<broken link removed>

The only reason this is big news is because of the GUN. If he rammed his car into hers and had the same outcome this would have stayed local. But he used a GUN so all gun owners get slammed. Did he have a concealed weapons permit, not likely. Would no guns in the park law make any difference, not at all. What do the gun grabbers focus on, allowing concealed weapons in national parks.

In Oregon, you get a permit to carry a concealed handgun. I don't know about Washington's permit.

I don't even know the law in National Parks about bringing in a rifle. I know only that I may carry a concealed handgun.

This guy was a complete idiot who wasn't following the laws we would all follow anyway.

The only reason this is big news is because of the GUN. If he rammed his car into hers and had the same outcome this would have stayed local. But he used a GUN so all gun owners get slammed. Did he have a concealed weapons permit, not likely. Would no guns in the park law make any difference, not at all. What do the gun grabbers focus on, allowing concealed weapons in national parks.

I'm pretty sure it's news because a veteran murdered a Park Ranger. If he did it with an axe, it would still be national news. It's unfortunate that anti-gun media focuses on it, but it still would have been big news.

I'm pretty sure it's news because a veteran murdered a Park Ranger. If he did it with an axe, it would still be national news. It's unfortunate that anti-gun media focuses on it, but it still would have been big news.

If he had done it with an axe, they wouldn't be trying to ban axes. If he ran over her with his car they wouldn't be trying to ban cars. Same with a knife or...

It's still dumb anti-gun hysteria.

Come on...you can't be an anti gun advocate without a car.
I mean let's not muddle this with the fact that more people are killed each year with a car,than with guns
I would venture to say more are injured by axes than are by guns.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top