JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't have a .270 anymore nor a .40, but happy to run them through a cleaning and hand them over to someone that would use them. I picked up one of the mojo magnet rods for shotgun hulls and the little nut weasel that grabs amazing well. My favorite place to shoot in the Tillamook forest, without fail, as I am just about cleaned up the sheriff's deputy pulls in to see how things are going and comments on how it looked a few hours earlier. I swear they have cameras up.

Jeremy
When I get mystery brass from someone I actually prefer it before cleaning and with spent primers intact. It is easier to see how hot the previous load was or how bad the gun mangled it before it's been processed. Especially .40 cal and rifle brass. I like to get 5.56 with the crimp still there and no deep ejector/extractor marks so I can be pretty sure it's really once fired.

When I get mystery brass from someone I actually prefer it before cleaning and with spent primers intact. It is easier to see how hot the previous load was or how bad the gun mangled it before it's been processed. Especially .40 cal and rifle brass. I like to get 5.56 with the crimp still there and no deep ejector/extractor marks so I can be pretty sure it's really once fired.
Good to know! You just saved me some labor, I will leave them as found.

Good to know! You just saved me some labor, I will leave them as found.
I'm actually surprised more folks don't favor their used brass as is. With the new wet cleaning systems making the cases so clean and shiny and clean it's more difficult to see the sins inflicted on range brass. Besides if you are giving it away cheap or free why not let the recipient decide?

8.5 pounds today! ;)

Somebody recently ran a "Zombie Apocolypse" program with the 5.56, 6.5, & .308.....good O/F brass all over! :p

Cannot get my Moto G-force to upload pics on NWFA; or I would post a pic of a new (to me) pistol cartridge...:oops:

IMG_20171016_161231192_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171016_161220817_HDR.jpg

No revolver brass; mostly 9mm on the HG ranges; most of that was less than 10 paces from the target frames.

3 pieces of milspec .30-06.

Edit: Thanks etrain!

Last Edited:
I made an incidental stop at Cherry City Metals and dropped off 80 pounds of range brass; roughly a 5 gallon bucket.

Took ten minutes to make the transaction. Check comes via USPS.

$1.45/pound
$116.00

< 3 pounds today; I passed on much of the pistol brass, but there was a lot of 9mm on the ground from last weekend's...."acumen contest".

Zero revolver brass :confused:

By far; 5.56 & 9mm are still the most popular cartridges (no surprise) I find.

@ 225 pieces of 5.56

I'm actually surprised more folks don't favor their used brass as is. With the new wet cleaning systems making the cases so clean and shiny and clean it's more difficult to see the sins inflicted on range brass. Besides if you are giving it away cheap or free why not let the recipient decide?

I also prefer my brass dirty.

Most of the time when I buy "cleaned" brass it's just been through a vibrating tumbler, I'm going to deprime and wet tumble anyway so I say don't bother.

Most of the reason you're not going to find too much revolver brass is Two fold. One, Revolvers are Old School and a great Number of those Shooting also reload. Number Two is automatics spread the Brass to "H" and back and many of those "Kids" Simply can't be bother picking up after themselves.

As an NRA RSO I'm seeing more and more of this while working on the Public Shooting days. :)

Most of the reason you're not going to find too much revolver brass is Two fold. One, Revolvers are Old School and a great Number of those Shooting also reload. Number Two is automatics spread the Brass to "H" and back and many of those "Kids" Simply can't be bother picking up after themselves.

As an NRA RSO I'm seeing more and more of this while working on the Public Shooting days. :)

That's why I love shooting revolvers, don't have to chase the brass all over the place, right out of the gun back in the box.

I'm ashamed to admit that when getting ready to go to the range my .38 and .357 get the nod more than they used to simply because I'm tired of picking up brass and getting older.
Sounds more like something to be proud of to me. While I love Shooting my Smith and Wesson Model 41 and 51-2, the Wheel Guns very much still have a place when I head for the Range. I've even got a recently aquired .38 M&P, Model of 1905, 4th Change, that I am looking forward to putting a few rounds through. Unlike many of the young shooters I was always taught that bullet placement really does count. Too many of the young shooters seem to be interested in only one thing and that's how fast they can empty a magazine.

Sounds more like something to be proud of to me. While I love Shooting my Smith and Wesson Model 41 and 51-2, the Wheel Guns very much still have a place when I head for the Range. I've even got a recently aquired .38 M&P, Model of 1905, 4th Change, that I am looking forward to putting a few rounds through. Unlike many of the young shooters I was always taught that bullet placement really does count. Too many of the young shooters seem to be interested in only one thing and that's how fast they can empty a magazine.
Full disclosure...the hillbilly side of me still likes a good mag dump once in awhile lol. But that's not practice for me really, it's just for fun. For shot placement I definitely prefer the revolver. I really do enjoy reloading for my wheelguns.

Full disclosure...the hillbilly side of me still likes a good mag dump once in awhile lol. But that's not practice for me really, it's just for fun. For shot placement I definitely prefer the revolver. I really do enjoy reloading for my wheelguns.

Loading for a revolver is a lot more fun, you can focus on performance and accuracy more instead of having to worry about how it feeds. Also why I love Ruger revolvers, they often have longer than normal chambers. Loads I can put through my super Blackhawks would never work in a model 29.

Question for all of you brass rats!

Question?

I quit reloading years ago when my reloader buddy passed away! I distributed his then my brass to others. How much brass do you guys receive from what I'll call the "deceased source?" Is it a lot, or a negligible amount? I got 1,000rnds from a family estate sale, but I bought a rifle and they threw in the empties. Not sure that counts.
If anyone has received free brass from an odd source tell us about that too! :)

Two of the older gents brag about their reloading conquests at....garage sales.

One older fella said he was gifted 30,000 primers; gave me a kilo of SPP.

Well, I simply will NOT fire Others Reloaded Ammo so I am Very concerned about how other people might have stored their supplies. I like things to go BANG when they are supposed to and to do it the first time around. Generally, Bullets are easy especially if they are still in the original packaging. Primers, if I can see they were kept in GI ammo cans. Powder, if the cans are still sealed and of course a type I would use. Brass, I really have to take a very good long look at empty cases and I've passed on more than I have purchased. Maybe I've missed out on some good deals on Brass but I still have all my fingers, hands and other body parts. At this point I'm not interested in taking apart someone else's reloads for the pieces and parts so I will pass on reloads.:):):)

Well, I simply will NOT fire Others Reloaded Ammo so I am Very concerned about how other people might have stored their supplies. I like things to go BANG when they are supposed to and to do it the first time around. Generally, Bullets are easy especially if they are still in the original packaging. Primers, if I can see they were kept in GI ammo cans. Powder, if the cans are still sealed and of course a type I would use. Brass, I really have to take a very good long look at empty cases and I've passed on more than I have purchased. Maybe I've missed out on some good deals on Brass but I still have all my fingers, hands and other body parts. At this point I'm not interested in taking apart someone else's reloads for the pieces and parts so I will pass on reloads.:):):)

I would worry more about primers and powder than brass.

After it's gone through the wet tumbler it's pretty easy to see any flaws.

2 pounds today; half was mine.

Lots of steel rifle cases and aluminum pistol cases on the ground, and lots of rim fire cases.

Steel cases were 7.62x39 :confused:

Most of the pistol brass was under or near the overhead covers.

Gotta take the not so good; with the good. ;)

Hey Oath, it's good that you are picking up after those too lazy or too Stupid to know how to do it themselves. Thanks

You bet! @ 30 minutes is usually spent every Monday; picking up targets and trash. It goes along-side of rounding up frames and backers for my ops.

I'm sure a few people pick up my slack every now and then..the rifle range is usually hot when I leave so no way to police my targets.

I hit Gooseneck once a week and usually fill a contractor bag; I seldom shoot on public land these days, but I hate seeing the trash.

:cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads