JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Describe "Stepped Cases"? Bulged, yes, never seen one that was noticeably bulged though.

I haven't been around many out door ranges for some time. We stop by the Beaver Dam Pit when we go mushroom hunting though. There's nothing there in the way of brass, unless you want .22. Or some 9mm flies under a boulder. I figure since the great scamdemic hit brass pickens are pretty scarce in the great outdoors aren't they?
Stepped cases are the ones that have thicker brass or an insert. Here's a photo:
stepped cases.jpg

Here's some of bulged brass: One of these is from @nubus. Thread at the link.
bulging cases 4.jpg
bulgedcase2.jpg
I've had some brass do the same thing. You can have some small bulges that will actually pass through the resizing die if you don't have it turned all the way down. That's another reason for a closer inspection, using a case gauge, and plunk testing in the gun you'll be using with that ammo.

stepped cases.jpg

Wow, that bulged brass is scary! Anything even remotely compromised in that way goes straight into the scrap bucket.

The stepped brass I pick out too, but not to scrap. It actually works very well to trim for 9x18 Makarov ammo. Regular 9mm brass is tapered in wall thickness, and when shortened for 9x18, often has a bit of a bulge because the bullets are seated deeper. The stepped brass is thin down to the step. The Makarov is a lower pressure round, and it makes them easier to sort out from 9mm. Anything with a step goes into the Makarov pile.

Describe "Stepped Cases"? Bulged, yes, never seen one that was noticeably bulged though.

I haven't been around many out door ranges for some time. We stop by the Beaver Dam Pit when we go mushroom hunting though. There's nothing there in the way of brass, unless you want .22. Or some 9mm flies under a boulder. I figure since the great scamdemic hit brass pickens are pretty scarce in the great outdoors aren't they?
Yes please elaborate on stepped case...

Stepped cases are the ones that have thicker brass or an insert. Here's a photo:
View attachment 1104637

View attachment 1104638
View attachment 1104639
I've had some brass do the same thing. You can have some small bulges that will actually pass through the resizing die if you don't have it turned all the way down. That's another reason for a closer inspection, using a case gauge, and plunk testing in the gun you'll be using with that ammo.

View attachment 1104635
Fortunately I have not run into this.
However I have found 9mm cases that my Lee FCD would pass over completely and freely. It would bind at bottom of case leaving a crease at bottom of case or in other words not clear or pass over case cleanly. From memory S&B, PMC and maybe Perfecta have done this. They feed ok but Ive got into the habit of tossing them because this condition does not happen on my name brand cases.

View attachment 1104637

View attachment 1104638
View attachment 1104639

View attachment 1104635
Okay....I've seen a couple or three stepped cases. What's the worry of reloading? Only thing I could see would be less case space means extra pressure and a possible problem when pushing maximum powder load data? I load everything hand gun close to minimums.

And those bulged cases! :eek: Freaky! I've never seen anything like it in the 9mm and .40 that I've handled.

Fortunately I have not run into this.
However I have found 9mm cases that my Lee FCD would pass over completely and freely. It would bind at bottom of case leaving a crease at bottom of case or in other words not clear or pass over case cleanly. From memory S&B, PMC and maybe Perfecta have done this. They feed ok but Ive got into the habit of tossing them because this condition does not happen on my name brand cases.
Oh, S&B cases are the worst. The primers go in hard too. For a time I was processing S&B 9mm, so had a number of them in rotation. I found that after a couple of sizings they became easier to size and the primers went in just a little easier. I did, for awhile, sort the S&B out. What I've got in rotation I leave.

And that is one of the reasons I enjoy shooting revolvers. I hate searching for brass.

I did drop a 500 S&W case once that I never did find.
Me too. Sometimes I pick the Shield and my Walther to go practice and then I think about it for a minute. I put them back and take two revolvers instead haha.

I do tend to enjoy my revolvers more. I think they're a little more cathartic.

I have been reloading range brass for over fifty years, since I started this "Hobby". My entire focus was reloading because it was (and still is) less expensive than factory ammunition. I had very little factory ammo to shoot and reload to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I always have inspected brass for deficiencies and sorted as best I could by headstamp / manufacturer. I have never had any adverse events because of it. When factory brass was available and affordable, I bought plenty of new brass for various rifles and handguns. That range pick up stuff is just fine, and I have plenty to use. I have spent VERY little money on factory ammo in my lifetime.

Regards,
Bill

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top