JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Guys,
Many hunters deal with rain, fog, snow, and condensation on the scope lens. While hunting in the mountains last week, my scope lens kept fogging up. I had to wipe them several times, and was afraid that I would not be able to shoot if the right time came along. I have a scope cover, but the fogging on the scope still happened. After the morning hunt, I decided to try some Rain X I had in the truck for the afternoon hunt.... WOW, what a difference. It was clearer, and stayed dry all afternoon even in the snow...... No Fogging
It looks like it is going to last a long time, so I will not have to re-apply for some time. I like that the fogging does not come back on also. I applied the first coat, and waited about 5 minutes, and then put the second coat on. The instructions said 2 coats is much better......
Try it, You will love it!
Larry 243

I would be concerned that it might mess with the original lens coating, but I guess if the original coating isn't working, it doesn't matter.

I believe that the original tint was done only to the inside, not out side surface. That's why you are able to clean them! I am amazwd how long it seams to last!

I believe that the original tint was done only to the inside, not out side surface. That's why you are able to clean them! I am amazwd how long it seams to last!

Don't assume this is the case with EVERY scope out there. I can clean my eye classes and my high end camera lenses but you can bet those are coated on the outside.

And don't get me wrong, I love RainX! If it's safe for scopes, I'll be happy. But make sure you check this out before you go spraying your high $$ Scopes. An email to the MFG on what they recommend here could be time and effort well spent. :)

Don't assume this is the case with EVERY scope out there. I can clean my eye classes and my high end camera lenses but you can bet those are coated on the outside.

And don't get me wrong, I love RainX! If it's safe for scopes, I'll be happy. But make sure you check this out before you go spraying your high $$ Scopes. An email to the MFG on what they recommend here could be time and effort well spent. :)

So,
I indicated I did this on my scope, and it worked just fine. I did do my home work, and did not find any scopes that coat the outside for the obvious reason... Hello!

Interesting.

I've been using Scope Dope on my optics (and Uncle Sam's) and Rain X on my auto glass (and Uncle Sam's) for decades; perhaps I should look into the ingredients to see if or how they compare.

:s0001::s0067:

So,
I indicated I did this on my scope, and it worked just fine. I did do my home work, and did not find any scopes that coat the outside for the obvious reason... Hello!
Vortex says my scope has a proprietary coating on all air to glass surfaces. Most all scopes boast anti-fog capabilities that that only happens on the outside of the glass with an anti-fog coating. Leupold also has outside coatings on their scopes...

I doubt any one of them will tell you if Rain-X is safe to use since they all sell their own proprietary cleaner kits with anti-fog...

Vortex Optics - Cleaning Supplies

that said I don't think you have a bad idea and probably isn't hurting anything. Isnt RainX a wax or silicone based product?

I hear that saliva works well for scuba/snorkel masks... i've never had a problem when i've used this trick for snorkeling. If somebody wants to try it, i'd be interested! There are only irons in the family.

I've used it only on my less expensive scopes and so far no issues. I don't know what long term effects it may on lens coatings , but so far , so good.

I had that very issue this year on my muzzle loader scope too due to all the foul weather this year and it seemed to fix the fogging issue.

The only thing I've ever run into using Rain-X is that it needs to be reapplied often, so I can only expect that will be the case with scopes. It also seems , from my experience with cars that , once you use it, you'll have to continue to do so. I never could get it off completely once applied. At least that seems to be the case with windshields.

I can only say use caution, but on the 2-3 scopes I've used it on, I've had no issues.

Last Edited:
Interesting.

I've been using Scope Dope on my optics (and Uncle Sam's) and Rain X on my auto glass (and Uncle Sam's) for decades; perhaps I should look into the ingredients to see if or how they compare.

:s0001::s0067:

I took the same rifle yestrday to the range, and everything was still great... It was 33 deg. and had no fogging. I can say l that there is nothing effecting the surface, and it is crystal clear when viewing... I am still very impressed with it. It does not hurt Auto windshields made of glass... That is what is was made for..
Thanks, for your input!
Larry243

I got a box of the wipe packets. They work pretty good and are easy to pack. Around ten bucks for a hundred.
full.jpg

I got a box of the wipe packets. They work pretty good and are easy to pack. Around ten bucks for a hundred.
View attachment 414514

Hey Kenboy,
What I like about these towelettes is the are treated with anti fogging agents. I bet this is much better then my Rain X, and much easier to carry in your rifle case. I will look on-line for them. The box says 100 packages... That will last me forever. They look so easy and clean to carry with you. YOUR THE MAN!
Thank you for this feed!...
Larry 243

So,

I'm not saying you are wrong but seems a bit presumptuous to insist this will work on all scopes. What brand scope did you try it on? Do you know for a fact that it will work on all brands of scopes? If someone tries it on their $3000 Schmidt and Bender and it ruins their scope, will you replace it?

My wife sprayed Rain-X on our glass shower. Left a nasty film behind that you could really see when the sun would shine into the bathroom. Water beaded up good, but it looked almost like fog itself. I would think this could cut down on light transmission. It took rubbing alcohol to get all of it off the shower glass. After that I refused to even spray it on the windows of my car and truck.

Most high end scopes are coated on both sides of all the glass, so I would approach this idea with hesitation and caution.

Wow. Some fellas taking this pretty serious. I missed the part where the OP insisted that it works on all scopes and offered a personal warranty. My interpretation was that he tried it on his scope and it worked well for him.

Thanks for the friendly tip, Larry.

Wow. Some fellas taking this pretty serious. I missed the part where the OP insisted that it works on all scopes and offered a personal warranty. My interpretation was that he tried it on his scope and it worked well for him.

Thanks for the friendly tip, Larry.

Thank you,
I only said that it worked for me.... There is no guarantee from on this... Some people need to understand what they read!
Thank's
Larry243

My wife sprayed Rain-X on our glass shower. Left a nasty film behind that you could really see when the sun would shine into the bathroom. Water beaded up good, but it looked almost like fog itself. I would think this could cut down on light transmission. It took rubbing alcohol to get all of it off the shower glass. After that I refused to even spray it on the windows of my car and truck.

Most high end scopes are coated on both sides of all the glass, so I would approach this idea with hesitation and caution.

WRONG!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads