JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Amazing...
They have been selling this for more then 25 years. Everyone uses it on glass showers, mirrors, Car windows and a thousand other things. I suppose some people do not wipe them off after applying to remove the haze before they use it. The directions say wipe after application for best results....
Hummmm!

Exactly. I personally wouldn't use Rain-X on my scopes, but to each his own. Do whatever floats your boat.

I know Vortex and Leupold coat the outside of their glass. I bought a bottle of that Vortex cleaner thats supposed to be fog free and made to some military standard for optics so Im good with that being from a scope manufacturer. It was like $9.99...

Rifle scopes do have coatings on the outer surfaces. Call the manufacturer and they will undoubtedly tell you not to use rain x on their scopes. Most recommend a product called Kleer Vu. Glad it worked out for you Larry but I would hesitate recommending it to others especially on high end scopes.

I know Vortex and Leupold coat the outside of their glass. I bought a bottle of that Vortex cleaner thats supposed to be fog free and made to some military standard for optics so Im good with that being from a scope manufacturer. It was like $9.99...

I bought the same stuff from Vortex. first coat didn't do to much but after the second I had no problems.

I bought the same stuff from Vortex. first coat didn't do to much but after the second I had no problems.
good to know, I put 1 coat on and went hunting and still had some fog... I'll clean and try several coats now.
Of course... I'll have to wait till next year to purposely walk around the woods in the rain :p

Last Edited:
I believe that the original tint was done only to the inside, not out side surface. ...

The primary reason scope and camera lens manufactures coat their lenses is to improve light transmission and reduce chromatic aberration.*** Every time a light beam crosses the lens boundary these issues present themselves and they have an additive effect. So all moderate quality and higher lenses are coated on the outside of the lens as well as the internal surfaces. In fact, it's that first layer (the outside of the objective lens) that is the most important, as any error introduced here will be compounded as the light beam moves through the scope. You want the least amount of distortion possible at the beginning of the process.

A quick call to Leupold or Nikon tech line will confirm this.

Regarding personally applied anti-fog treatments I have no comment other than to say "call the manufacture's tech line and ask what they recomend". Depending on the materials used in their coatings, it may or may not make a difference.

*** A secondary reason for the coatings is scratch resistance. The metal compounds used in these coatings actually protect the glass somewhat, so we have a beneficial side effect going for us here.

Last Edited:
The primary reason scope and camera lens manufactures coat their lenses is to improve light transmission and reduce chromatic aberration.*** Every time a light beam crosses the lens boundary these issues present themselves and they have an additive effect. So all moderate quality and higher lenses are coated on the outside of the lens as well as the internal surfaces. In fact, it's that first layer (the outside of the objective lens) that is the most important, as any error introduced here will be compounded as the light beam moves through the scope. You want the least amount of distortion possible at the beginning of the process.

A quick call to Leupold or Nikon tech line will confirm this.

Regarding personally applied anti-fog treatments I have no comment other than to say "call the manufacture's tech line and ask what they recomend". Depending on the materials used in their coatings, it may or may not make a difference.

*** A secondary reason for the coatings is scratch resistance. The metal compounds used in these coatings actually protect the glass somewhat, so we have a beneficial side effect going for us here.

Very well said Guy,
I also asked the question of Vortex, and they said the coating they use has to with stand people trying to clean and coat the lens for all kinds of reasons. There development team Had to formulate a surface product that would be impervious to most chemicals including Alcohol. If they did not do this, they would be repairing the lenses all the time. This is one of the reasons they have the best Warranty/Guarantee of any scope company.
Thank you for a well written statement.... I agree totally!
Larry243

I also asked the question of Vortex, and they said the coating they use has to with stand people trying to clean and coat the lens for all kinds of reasons.

I was just going to bring this up. While I'm not saying everyone should use it, I think a coating of Rain X on a clean lens would be better treatment than most scopes receive. I've seen some crazy things when it comes to "cleaning" lenses.

I was just going to bring this up. While I'm not saying everyone should use it, I think a coating of Rain X on a clean lens would be better treatment than most scopes receive. I've seen some crazy things when it comes to "cleaning" lenses.
A good plasma cleaning is the way to go.

th?id=OIP.CuLieRtOXzMZupD2Zhi5AwHaFj&w=216&h=161&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.5&pid=1.jpg

A sunshade and rubber eyepiece keeps the rain out. :D

Might try it, but not sure if any of my optics would benefit from it.

But... Not on an expensive optic.

Last Edited:
Pretty much all scopes are coated with all surfaces these days, I think.

I use scout scopes on my hunting rifles, so it's pretty hard to breathe on them and fog them up. The rest of you guys just need to learn to hold your breath. ;)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top