JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While I am not one of the "world going to end people", when I backpack into the mountains for long trips, I usually have a few meds on hand.

Tylenol is great for pain. The "liver toxicity" is mostly related to long term use. 3 grams per day and you are fine.

Advil/ibuprofen - great for pain and swelling - affects your kidneys be reducing the blood flow to them, thus decreased function of the kidney's. Keep hydrated and use less than 2400 mg per day and most people are fine.

Combination of little tylenol and advil is good or alternate. Take tylenol, then 8 hours later advil, then 8 hours later tylenol. Thus you do not reach a max daily dose of either.

For serious injuries (broken leg, etc) best is a dis-solvable morphine 10 mg tablets. Cheap, can be swallowed or place under your tongue or cheek. Thus even if person unconscious you can maintain pain control. Can also be used for your dog should something happen to them. Need a prescription for a doctor. Should last a long time. Expiration date on pill bottle from pharmacy will not mean much. Good for several years there after.

Preventing kidney stones in theory by keeping your urine acidic (cranberry juice).

Cheers

Acid. Acid. Acid. That's all I got. Make your piss as acidic as possible.

I get confused when folks say stop drinking soft drinks. Are not soft drinks carbonic acid solutions ?

I used to know the science behind this. The carbonation acts as an antacid to your stomaches natural acid. Voiding the cause.

I would shoot for more natural acids.

Fruit juices mostly.

The scenario: complete economic collapse, all doctor's supplies were used up 6 months previously,

,,,,,and you've got a kidney stone that's the size of a baseball you're trying to piss out, and it's been 2 weeks.

(Well, it'll be 2 weeks in 4 more days- and I've been to the ER two times) What would you do?

1 out of every 100 ER visits involve kidney stones. The pain of a kidney stone is that of child birth- which means essentially I've felt the pain of child birth for the past 10 days and I HURT.

Suicide is not an option- I've had the stones for 15 years, it's just never occurred to me to ask in a "survivalist" situation what to do.
I don't have an answer, but I know exactly what you mean by "the pain". Mine hurt so bad it knocked me to the ground. Luckily, I was in front of the ER at the time and they hauled me in. I just happened to be walking by with no warning. I also was talking to a commercial pilot who was knocked out inflight.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top