JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The scenario: complete economic collapse, all doctor's supplies were used up 6 months previously,

,,,,,and you've got a kidney stone that's the size of a baseball you're trying to piss out, and it's been 2 weeks.

(Well, it'll be 2 weeks in 4 more days- and I've been to the ER two times) What would you do?

1 out of every 100 ER visits involve kidney stones. The pain of a kidney stone is that of child birth- which means essentially I've felt the pain of child birth for the past 10 days and I HURT.

Suicide is not an option- I've had the stones for 15 years, it's just never occurred to me to ask in a "survivalist" situation what to do.

The scenario: complete economic collapse, all doctor's supplies were used up 6 months previously,

,,,,,and you've got a kidney stone that's the size of a baseball you're trying to piss out, and it's been 2 weeks.

(Well, it'll be 2 weeks in 4 more days- and I've been to the ER two times) What would you do?

1 out of every 100 ER visits involve kidney stones. The pain of a kidney stone is that of child birth- which means essentially I've felt the pain of child birth for the past 10 days and I HURT.

Suicide is not an option- I've had the stones for 15 years, it's just never occurred to me to ask in a "survivalist" situation what to do.
Damn.....I feel your pain, brother! Well, maybe not literally right now, but I've had two kidney stones, and while in the ER for the last one (a year ago), the doc said I have another up in me, that could pass anytime between the next two weeks and five years! And once you've had one, you have a greater prepensity to have more!
x2 the advice to ask Patriot Nurse....google her and find the link. She's a good person, genuinely cares about people, and is a great source of knowledge.

......other than that, just get the strongest painkillers you can legally obtain, and when the sonofabiyatch passes, grit your teeth and drink plenty of fluids!

Having a kidney stone is the most painful thing I've endured thus far. Not sure where you went but Meridian Park Hospital gave me a shot of Morphine and zapped the stone with ultra sound. Passing that bad boy stung like hell, imagine pissing glass.

Doctor told me that the Morphine helped relax the area inside besides help the pain.

I hope to never endure that in a survival situation, interested to hear what would help.

OK- lots of post's so I'll try to answer as I can: 1)Never heard of "Patriot Nurse"- will follow up on that 2)My Doc's are VA doc's- no, they do not believe in "emergency supplies". 3)For you my brother's who've had this pain you know I speak the truth- it's kinda like getting a gutshot by a .22LR and the bullets just lodged there- except it WON'T HEAL. 4)I had the laser stuffed up the penii, across the bladder, continued up the uretha to just outside the bladder where a laser cannon fired MANY rounds to destroy a 5mm/.200" stone. I had one drop of urine come out before the orange pee lube kicked in? I screamed in agony- the laser had ripped the entire system open from stem to stern. Then I got angry- the anger helped overcome the agony until the orange pee lube started working- that stuff helped a lot but didn't kill all the pain.

I would highly recommend getting it treated in the near term, the ultra-sonic breakup of kidney stones is successful in many cases. Also, if you're getting that kind of uric acid buildup you need to be drinking more water regardless of everything else and cut your intake of soda, and juices. Generally, kidney stones are made of calcium oxalate, a water insoluable salt. If you are taking a calcium supplement, you might want to stop. However, you're likely at risk for gout (painful buildup of uric acid in the extremities). A few of the old-codgers I know use cherry pie filling as a treatment.

As far as pain treatment... Papaver Somniferum (opium poppy) does grow in the pacific northwest, although probably not found in the wild. From this laudenum can be prepared, if you're familiar with 19th century medicine, it's the fore-runner of morphine and other purified chemicals from this as a base. I did some poking as to legality, and advice on the topic seems to go from "it's just fine" to "felony pound you in the *** federal prison".

There are other chemicals out there that have a sedative effect... One that might be useful is Dextromethorphan (a common cough suppressant) that is a sedative hypnotic when taken in sufficient quantity, however dosing will be tricky. The other two... chloroform and ether were again used as knock-out agents in the 19th century, but have fallen into disuse as they have a very tricky therapeutic index (the difference between knocking someone out, and killing them).

Chloral hydrate is another "easy to produce" sedative, however again, it has a very narrow TI, however unlike chloroform and ether dosage can be done as a fluid (oral).

There are some very powerful painkillers, sedatives, hypnotics that are at your finger tips, and I think could definitely be very valuable after the balloon goes up. However, we live in a society that is obsessed with drugs (both for and against), while I realize you're in oregon, I don't think there is any difficulty in obtaining marijuana, both now, and in the future in meaningful quantities. While I am not a consumer of it, of the people whom I know that are, most can attest to it's sedative and analgesic effects (except in large doses).

I would highly recommend getting it treated in the near term, the ultra-sonic breakup of kidney stones is successful in many cases. Also, if you're getting that kind of uric acid buildup you need to be drinking more water regardless of everything else and cut your intake of soda, and juices. Generally, kidney stones are made of calcium oxalate, a water insoluable salt. If you are taking a calcium supplement, you might want to stop. However, you're likely at risk for gout (painful buildup of uric acid in the extremities). A few of the old-codgers I know use cherry pie filling as a treatment.

As far as pain treatment... Papaver Somniferum (opium poppy) does grow in the pacific northwest, although probably not found in the wild. From this laudenum can be prepared, if you're familiar with 19th century medicine, it's the fore-runner of morphine and other purified chemicals from this as a base. I did some poking as to legality, and advice on the topic seems to go from "it's just fine" to "felony pound you in the *** federal prison".

There are other chemicals out there that have a sedative effect... One that might be useful is Dextromethorphan (a common cough suppressant) that is a sedative hypnotic when taken in sufficient quantity, however dosing will be tricky. The other two... chloroform and ether were again used as knock-out agents in the 19th century, but have fallen into disuse as they have a very tricky therapeutic index (the difference between knocking someone out, and killing them).

Chloral hydrate is another "easy to produce" sedative, however again, it has a very narrow TI, however unlike chloroform and ether dosage can be done as a fluid (oral).

There are some very powerful painkillers, sedatives, hypnotics that are at your finger tips, and I think could definitely be very valuable after the balloon goes up. However, we live in a society that is obsessed with drugs (both for and against), while I realize you're in oregon, I don't think there is any difficulty in obtaining marijuana, both now, and in the future in meaningful quantities. While I am not a consumer of it, of the people whom I know that are, most can attest to it's sedative and analgesic effects (except in large doses).

Well Amp I do have Gout- Bad. I take 3 different kinds of med's to deal with it. No I do not take "Tums" or other forms of calcium. Yes, I try to drink lots of tea and water to flush things out. I've kicked around making ladenium- but if caught,,,,,it's jail time.

Two things I might suggest... I don't know if you've tried the cherry pie filling, but one guy I know swears by it and he's in his early 70's.

http://www.best-gout-remedies.com/cherries-for-gout.html

The other is a Mr Coffee iced tea maker, they sell for about $20, I drink almost exclusively iced tea and will vary the concentration of tea based on season. I typically for winter do 8 teabags, for summer I do 3-4. Daily consumption for me is about 1gal of tea when it's cool, and up to 3 gals if it's hot, and I'm working outside. I know it sounds like a lot, but a 32oz beverage 3x a day is common for most people, if it's hot out and you're working hard, it's easy to get to the 8-12 you need to keep hydrated.

Two things I might suggest... I don't know if you've tried the cherry pie filling, but one guy I know swears by it and he's in his early 70's.

http://www.best-gout-remedies.com/cherries-for-gout.html

The other is a Mr Coffee iced tea maker, they sell for about $20, I drink almost exclusively iced tea and will vary the concentration of tea based on season. I typically for winter do 8 teabags, for summer I do 3-4. Daily consumption for me is about 1gal of tea when it's cool, and up to 3 gals if it's hot, and I'm working outside. I know it sounds like a lot, but a 32oz beverage 3x a day is common for most people, if it's hot out and you're working hard, it's easy to get to the 8-12 you need to keep hydrated.
I've had succeeds with pie filling, rhubarb, and strawberries to deal with the gout. A friend of mine swears by green grapes they're effective.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top