JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hey y'all. I''ve just had a bit of an "experience" I guess you could say. need some advice, maybe a little guidance, just general input would be great.

Out of the blue, I met a gentleman at a big box type outdoor sports store, who overheard me saying I was tired of paying up to .60cents a round for 9mm.

He leans over and says, 'well how much ya want?' I replied that I suppose 1,000 would be plenty. He says, 'well yeah, $20 will get ya 100 rounds, so $200 for 1,000. Yeah, they're reloads, I've got a license, been reloading over 40 years, hell, I even sell 'em to LEO, they buy from me all the time.'

I'm thinking to myself, 'Wow, this is great. .20cents a round in this drought? I'll be spending at least $400 a month with this guy. This is gonna be great.' I take down his number, let him know I'll give him a call midweek and confirm, set everything up.

Midweek I ring the gentleman up. We exchange some hellos, I say, 'yeah, I'd love to pick up 1,000 rounds of 9mm, etc, 115grain is fine, etc (mostly just trivial order specs).'
THEN I ask some critical questions: "Do you mind if I took a look at your license? Have you got insurance? Do you guarantee your loads?"

He replies, "Well, my license expired a few years ago, but it's hanging on the wall. I just haven't gotten another one, cause they don't need to know what I'm doing. Nah, I don't do insurance, I back all my loads, I been loading over 40 years now, I've never once had a problem or an issue". We finish the conversation with a pleasant goodbye, I confirm the address and time for pick up.

The weekend pick up time comes. I ring the gentleman up to let him know that I'm on the way to pick my order up. What I heard I did NOT expect at all.

"Well yeah, I ain't gonna sell to ya. You asked too many questions. I decided I don't wanna sell to ya cause of that. You just asked too many questions. I'm sellin 'em to somebody else, you need to mind your own business. I ain't gonna sell to ya'

Of course, that's his prerogative. He's allowed to choose who he does or does not do business with. He is not allowed however (by FEDERAL LAW) to manufacture and sell ammunition without a current and valid Class 6 FFL.

So I've a few questions, pleas for advice here: Was I in the wrong to ask about his license, experience, insurance? Sure it's a great deal on ammo, but it's not worth risking life or limb. I can replace a $500 Glock, I cannot replace a hand. Should I report this type of behavior? Sure, I'm a little bummed that I missed out on the sale, but the urge to report comes from a safety/legal/responsible gun owner angle. I'd love to see some responses, advice, and feedback on this.

Is there really a question here?

Let it all go and consider it a learning experience and try to not be so 'gullible' in the future - who knows what what else this person had 'up his sleeve'..... or in his pants.....

Last Edited:
Is there really a question here?

Let it all go and consider it a learning experience and try to not be so 'gullible' in the future - who knows what what else this person had 'up his sleeve'..... or in his pants.....
There is a question here: should I report this person to a 3 letter agency for manufacturing and selling ammunition without the requisite license?

There is a question here: should I report this person to a 3 letter agency for manufacturing and selling ammunition without the requisite license?
I'd say that question could be more accurately answered if you had actually followed through with your decision to meet the seller to buy the ammo but it might not be a bad idea to pass the info along - to the 3 letter agency....

Last Edited:
Should you report or not , is up to you.

That said...

Since you knew that this person needed a license...and he told you that his was expired...but you still made arrangements to purchase ammo from him...might be a bit awkward to explain to someone of importance.
Andy

The first thing a three letter agency does is investigate everyone involved and sometimes things turn out bad for the innocent party.

.but you still made arrangements to purchase ammo from him...might be a bit awkward to explain to someone of importance.

This. You only got indignant about it AFTER he refused to sell to you. You were fine with his having an expired license up to that point.

Let it go. You can waste a lot of mental energy "reporting people," trying to retaliate, etc. Be the better person.

Here's another thing to think about. If he's been doing this for 40 years (taking his word), and is still willing to do it, maybe he hasn't yet blown anyone up. Just pondering.

Spend that $200 bucks on a basic reloading kit and discover a whole new money pit! Reloading opens up a whole new dimension to shooting. You might not always like it, but you will never regret it.

Your transaction sounds alot like.....
"Hey buddy....wanna buy some un-lic. Pharmaceuticals?"

What_could_go_wrong.jpg

Aloha, Mark

I think it turned out well for you in the end. Always a risk buying someone else's reloads. You were only told what he wanted you to know about his history. It ended up sounding a little fishy.
As you said better safe than sorry. No reason to turn him in on something that didn't happen.

He is not allowed however (by FEDERAL LAW) to manufacture and sell ammunition without a current and valid Class 6 FFL.

So I've a few questions, pleas for advice here: Was I in the wrong to ask about his license, experience, insurance? Sure it's a great deal on ammo, but it's not worth risking life or limb. I can replace a $500 Glock, I cannot replace a hand. Should I report this type of behavior? Sure, I'm a little bummed that I missed out on the sale, but the urge to report comes from a safety/legal/responsible gun owner angle. I'd love to see some responses, advice, and feedback on this.
It sounds to me like you already made this decision when you decided to continue with a purchase instead of reporting him -- you decided that the price was so good, that the safety/legal/responsible gun owner angle didn't matter, and you were going to buy from him anyway instead of report him. If it were me, I'd probably let my earlier decision stand rather than rethink it now that he refused to sell.

Yea, don't buy reloads from unlicensed neckbeards.. I HIGHLY doubt "LEO" buy from this doof.. maybe an individual or two but zero agencies would.

As seen in the past every aspect of life the three letter agency's have eyes & ears out there to bring trumpted up charges up.

It doesn't matter what it might be or how trivel it is they have the buget to spend millions of dollars to get a small BS charge to fund their next investigation.

I do not trust any government agency no matter who they work for. In my personal oppinion they are all political pawns on a government pay check & agenda.

Look at any national news, they collect a ten million plus a year paycheck and are instructed what to say.
That doesn't work for me personallly either.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top