JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you are down to knowingly do something illegal (buy reloads from an unlicensed stranger), don't narc if it doesn't go how you expected.

I have to agree with Dyjital on this one. I don't know of any specific law that makes it illegal for someone to "buy reloads from an unlicensed stranger." It's illegal for that unlicensed stranger to make a business of selling them, but I wasn't aware that it was also illegal for a buyer to buy them.

Unwise, yes, and I'm certainly not trying to defend either the buyer or seller, just splitting hairs a little. If it's actually illegal to buy unlicensed reloads, I'd like to know about it.

I don't sell reloads, but on rare occasion I do buy them, if they're cheap enough for component value and I have the time to actually pull them down for the components. I do not shoot random reloads.

This is from the ATF's dictionary,
(10) The term "manufacturer" means any person engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms or ammunition for purposes of sale or distribution; and the term "licensed manufacturer" means any such person licensed under the provisions of this chapter.

(21) The term "engaged in the business" means—
(B) as applied to a manufacturer of ammunition, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing ammunition as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the ammunition manufactured

You all can play arm chair lawyers over what it all really means. For me the FFL is $30.00/3 years and the insurance $130.00/month to be a "licensed manufacturer" so I don't have to worry about such things.

My question is specifically regarding the buyer, rather than the seller/manufacturer. It was asserted that the OP would have been committing a crime by buying the reloads, and I don't think that's correct.

My question is specifically regarding the buyer, rather than the seller/manufacturer. It was asserted that the OP would have been committing a crime by buying the reloads, and I don't think that's correct.

Maybe you're right. I don't know. I get that you pull the components and some others may. But making that point is such a pyrrhic and hard-headed point that I would rather stay far away than engage with it. You can't fix stupid.

Last Edited:
But making that point is such a pyrrhic and hard-headed point that I would rather stay far away than engage with it. You can't fix stupid.

????

So rather than consider the facts, you call me stupid? How is my point pyrrhic? You accused the OP of engaging in illegal behavior, which was factually incorrect. A simple mistake, an assumption I assume.

Like I said, I've bought reloads before, for the components. There's nothing illegal in that, as far as I know. That was my concern; I wasn't calling you out or challenging you, but clearly you took offense. I meant no offense. Like I said, if anyone knows of any laws on the books prohibiting the purchase of unlicensed reloads, please let me know. I don't want to be breaking the law. :)

I agree that the issue of selling reloads has been beat to death here. It's really not that hard to understand what's legal and what's not, but I fully agree with Mike: if I had any inclination whatsoever to sell any reloads, I'd get licensed and insured.

????

So rather than consider the facts, you call me stupid? How is my point pyrrhic? You accused the OP of engaging in illegal behavior, which was factually incorrect. A simple mistake, an assumption I assume.

Like I said, I've bought reloads before, for the components. There's nothing illegal in that, as far as I know. That was my concern; I wasn't calling you out or challenging you, but clearly you took offense. I meant no offense. Like I said, if anyone knows of any laws on the books prohibiting the purchase of unlicensed reloads, please let me know. I don't want to be breaking the law. :)

I agree that the issue of selling reloads has been beat to death here. It's really not that hard to understand what's legal and what's not, but I fully agree with Mike: if I had any inclination whatsoever to sell any reloads, I'd get licensed and insured.

I'm sorry. I didn't intend to call you stupid, but I did write my response so poorly that I can see now that I did. I hope you'll accept my apology.

No worries. I see now that I took it wrong. I apologize for that. It's been a rough day and I've learned that if I ever get into it online, it's always after a difficult day. I need to learn to never post online after a day like today. Sorry everyone.

No worries. I see now that I took it wrong. I apologize for that. It's been a rough day and I've learned that if I ever get into it online, it's always after a difficult day. I need to learn to never post online after a day like today. Sorry everyone.

I appreciate your graciousness. I did the same thing. Normally I'm better than that, and it's a lesson for me that I'll use to do better next time.

Above said:
21) The term "engaged in the business" means—
(B) as applied to a manufacturer of ammunition, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing ammunition as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the ammunition manufactured
This always gets me. (emphasis mine)
Same could be said about anyone on here who buys and sells firearms if a blanket statement is made that 'anyone selling reloads is illegal'.

Thats all I'm getting at, the blanket statement is wrong.

IMG_1018.jpeg

And the crowd jeered "Crucify him, crucify him..."

Last Edited:
I'm surprised no one has brought ITAR into this yet. For manufacturing and selling defense goods (ammo or even an components), the ATF requires that the manufacturer get an ITAR permit... which is over $2000 a year.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top