JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I dug a bit further, and I think this might qualify :
maybe, that's a little bit closer but the laws your citing have more to do with being issued a CHL than being arrested for intoxication while lawfully carrying. What I should have said in my other reply (regarding 166.293) was that intoxication isn't an offense that would disqualify one from obtaining a CHL. I cant really say any further but imagine if you got arrested for intoxication the firearm would be returned after being released.

What I like is your forcing me to read the statutes and read them all in context, never a bad thing. But for general discussion I don't think its generally illegal for being intoxicated while lawfully carrying in Oregon anyways. To get your CHL revoked as the result of an arrest it would have more to do with what else you were doing while drunk, a public intoxication charge would be the least of your worries.

What do I know though, IANAL.

maybe, that's a little bit closer but the laws your citing have more to do with being issued a CHL than being arrested for intoxication while lawfully carrying. What I should have said in my other reply (regarding 166.293) was that intoxication isn't an offense that would disqualify one from obtaining a CHL. I cant really say any further but imagine if you got arrested for intoxication the firearm would be returned after being released.

What I like is your forcing me to read the statutes and read them all in context, never a bad thing. But for general discussion I don't think its generally illegal for being intoxicated while lawfully carrying in Oregon anyways. To get your CHL revoked as the result of an arrest it would have more to do with what else you were doing while drunk, a public intoxication charge would be the least of your worries.

What do I know though, IANAL.

I agree. I believe my impression that it would be illegal is coming from my CHL class. As you know, a lot of things said at those aren't exactly true, I just
never had to verify this particular issue. Now as you point out, there is a number of disqualifying factors for issuance of CHL, but the link to the topic being
discussed is that other provision that allows any peace officer to revoke the CHL temporarily for any reason that would preclude Sheriff from issuing CHL
in the first place. That's the connection I was trying to make in my later post.

Now, I also did search the case law, and I found only one precedent where CHL was revoked on the spot by a responding LEO, and the grounds for revocation
was making of threats. Technically that falls into disorderly conduct category.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/or-court-of-appeals/1315450.html

While OR statute or rules do not prohibit carrying in a bar while drinking or being intoxicated while carrying, it is a stupid thing to do. Guns and alcohol do not mix. I know some think they are Super Man and can handle themselves, but I, like many others, have learned over the years that we all have done stupid things after drinking. Adding a gun mishap to the list of stupid things is not something I want to experience. YMMV

While OR statute or rules do not prohibit carrying in a bar while drinking or being intoxicated while carrying, it is a stupid thing to do. Guns and alcohol do not mix. I know some think they are Super Man and can handle themselves, but I, like many others, have learned over the years that we all have done stupid things after drinking. Adding a gun mishap to the list of stupid things is not something I want to experience. YMMV

:s0155:

For you, buddy. The other bubblegumload million of us seem to do just fine with it, all our lives.

Whether you drink or not in a bar/tavern/etc. (I don't, I can't drink alcohol due to health problems), some of these places are where other people get drunk, and when drunk some people get belligerent and start fights. It is best to avoid such places, and going in there armed increases the chances of something bad happening even if you try to stay out of it.

IIRC, when I was a young adult, it was against OR law to take a firearm into a bar/tavern.

The difference now is that there are a lot of restaurants and other places that serve alcohol, but are not a bar or tavern or pub, so the law would apply to them also (IMO) if it existed.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top