JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm specifically wondering about how durable they are usually on usgi 1911s. I was thinking on saving up for a nickel plated usgi 1911 if the price was right but was wondering how durable the finish is on them? I've seen ones that look mint and others that the nickel is clearly chipped or gone all over the place. I don't really see it on newer guns. Thanks.

I've had exactly 2 nickel plated firearms in my possession. Both were flaking horribly, and metal underneath was pitted( lightly). Cheap and old rimfire revolver that was probably neglected/forgotten. And an even cheaper imported pocket auto, also flaking on the frame. My guess would be that if you bought it in great condition, you could keep it looking good. If it's that nice when you purchase, I would assume the price would be higher.

I've had exactly 2 nickel plated firearms in my possession. Both were flaking horribly, and metal underneath was pitted( lightly). Cheap and old rimfire revolver that was probably neglected/forgotten. And an even cheaper imported pocket auto, also flaking on the frame. My guess would be that if you bought it in great condition, you could keep it looking good. If it's that nice when you purchase, I would assume the price would be higher.
Alright so if I buy one that's really nice it probably would stay that way after 500 to 2k rounds over the years?

I don't know why not. Handgun recoil isn't going to shake the finish off parts.
Poor quality of metal, imperfections in the surface of finished parts prior to plating, general neglect over the years, poor storage conditions. Those would be more detrimental than a few dozen mags of .45 downrange. It's pretty tame in regards to actual energy/recoil.

If you're wanting a shiny USGI 1911A1 and worried about finish durability, maybe look around for one cut from stainless. They can be polished up
"pimp hand strong" mirror like, brushed, bead-blasted to be matte-finished, etc.
I just want a cheap usgi colt I can shoot the hell out of and not "ruin" a collectable or something of high value. Think it sounds like it will be fine I just know some gun finishes are crap and wanted to check

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top