JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
About 20 years ago, I picked up a mini. Hmmm, pretty heavy and gritty trigger. Let's see how she shoots. Wow, these groups are really bad, 4" or so at 100 yards. Well, lets bear down a bit more. Well, we got her down to 6" with a warm barrel. As I much as I like rugers, and have and enjoy several, I sold that pos mini at a loss and picked up a colt HBAR. Feels good, nice balance, seems well built, but the trigger is poor. But she still shot 1.5". Then I put a geisele trigger on her. Now you're talking. Tack driver. But for coyotes or field work in general, I really prefer my CZ 527 with a match barrel and rifle basix trigger. She is a one hole wonder.

Here's my proof of the mini as a coyote gun.

SnowYote.jpg

A Mini-14 was the first rifle I bought myself when I turned 18. I just cannot envision any situation where I would choose a Mini-14 over an AR.

How about if you moved to New York state and the AR was illegal but the Mini-14 wasn't. It may be the new reality. Having a newer Mini-14 capable of MOA accuracy doesn't mean one is defenseless. Fewer options for attachments but 100% reliable and very accurate isn't a bad thing.

I just purchased a Mini SS 186- version. Haven't shot it yet. What should I expect? Is it one of the ones with the better barrel? Where is the dividing point on them?

AND... how many accessories do I need?

@carracer - Not sure if that is one of the much improved latest version or not. I have an older Ranch style with the thinner barrel and can attest to its poor groups. Decent for a shtf rifle, though. When prices drop I'll likely either replace it with a newer 14 or an AR variant. For accessorizing the mini, google for youtube vids by nutnfancy. He knows this rifle inside and out and will give you a very non-biased take on it. His vids definitely changed my opinion on certain aspects.

I have a couple of both the new additions of the 14 & the 30, their good to go out to three hundred yards out of the box and are rock solid reliable. If you've read my past posts you know I'm also a fan of the AR and have a few,, so to speak, but I'm no AR snob. Either will fit the bill you've described.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top