JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
About 20 years ago, I picked up a mini. Hmmm, pretty heavy and gritty trigger. Let's see how she shoots. Wow, these groups are really bad, 4" or so at 100 yards. Well, lets bear down a bit more. Well, we got her down to 6" with a warm barrel. As I much as I like rugers, and have and enjoy several, I sold that pos mini at a loss and picked up a colt HBAR. Feels good, nice balance, seems well built, but the trigger is poor. But she still shot 1.5". Then I put a geisele trigger on her. Now you're talking. Tack driver. But for coyotes or field work in general, I really prefer my CZ 527 with a match barrel and rifle basix trigger. She is a one hole wonder.

Here's my proof of the mini as a coyote gun.

SnowYote.jpg

A Mini-14 was the first rifle I bought myself when I turned 18. I just cannot envision any situation where I would choose a Mini-14 over an AR.

How about if you moved to New York state and the AR was illegal but the Mini-14 wasn't. It may be the new reality. Having a newer Mini-14 capable of MOA accuracy doesn't mean one is defenseless. Fewer options for attachments but 100% reliable and very accurate isn't a bad thing.

I just purchased a Mini SS 186- version. Haven't shot it yet. What should I expect? Is it one of the ones with the better barrel? Where is the dividing point on them?

AND... how many accessories do I need?

@carracer - Not sure if that is one of the much improved latest version or not. I have an older Ranch style with the thinner barrel and can attest to its poor groups. Decent for a shtf rifle, though. When prices drop I'll likely either replace it with a newer 14 or an AR variant. For accessorizing the mini, google for youtube vids by nutnfancy. He knows this rifle inside and out and will give you a very non-biased take on it. His vids definitely changed my opinion on certain aspects.

I have a couple of both the new additions of the 14 & the 30, their good to go out to three hundred yards out of the box and are rock solid reliable. If you've read my past posts you know I'm also a fan of the AR and have a few,, so to speak, but I'm no AR snob. Either will fit the bill you've described.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top