JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You need an Oregon drivers license if you live in Oregon PERIOD.

You must notify DMV of an address change within 30 days. This includes moving into the state.

I "think" you are in error here.
It is a long gun and long guns can legally be sold to persons from out of state.
With the "caveat" that it must be legal in the state you are from ,it would need to have a bullet button and come with a 10 round mag. And any other CA mods

It is a long gun and long guns can legally be sold to persons from out of state.
With the "caveat" that it must be legal in the state you are from ,it would need to have a bullet button and come with a 10 round mag. And any other CA mods
Well except for what you quoted is the DMV requirements.

Not something I said he had to do to buy a rifle. He stated "right now I am living in Oregon, have a permanent address, bills, and am paying income tax here," Which means he's not a resident of another state but a resident of OREGON. And as such would need to change his drivers license.

Correction. It is not the firearm that must be legal in the state "you are from", it is the sale that must be allowed. California requires that all purchases and transfers to go via FFL in California, thus a CA resident can't buy a long gun in Oregon regardless of whether it is legal or not. To illustrate that, think of this scenario. If a CA resident is a licensed collector, they may for example purchase and take possession in Oregon of a Yugoslavian SKS with a grenade launcher attachment, which is prohibited in California. They may then render such grenade launcher inoperable and bring such SKS with them into California. But they wouldn't be allowed to order it delivered directly to their address in California, like they could for any other C&R qualifying SKS.

Holy cow how much FUD in this thread.

Mmmmm...... FUD!

image.jpg

and some of us don't see why an agency needs to know your address. Don't get so butt hurt. Do you speed? its the same level of "violation." Not criminal in the slightest.
Eagle

I don't get butt hurt. Yes I speed and I have gotten a BUNCH of tickets for it. What's your point? And your correct the OP can get a nice traffic ticket and fine for not changing over his drivers license.

It amazes me that I'm getting crap because I quoted the DMV web site in an attempt to help the OP. You on the other hand........

I don't get butt hurt. Yes I speed and I have gotten a BUNCH of tickets for it. What's your point? And your correct the OP can get a nice traffic ticket and fine for not changing over his drivers license.

It amazes me that I'm getting crap because I quoted the DMV web site in an attempt to help the OP. You on the other hand........
ok it's just weird your comments smell of butt hurt. If he still retains his CA DL then what would give the officer reasonable suspicion that you are a resident in Oregon? And hefty is an exaggerated term, the fine is less than that of speeding over the limit 1-5mph. Again even if an officer somehow knew, he most certainly is going to let you off when you say "oh I didn't know. I'm new." Crap given. ;)

Eagle

ok it's just weird your comments smell of butt hurt. If he still retains his CA DL then what would give the officer reasonable suspicion that you are a resident in Oregon? And hefty is an exaggerated term, the fine is less than that of speeding over the limit 1-5mph. Again even if an officer somehow knew, he most certainly is going to let you off when you say "oh I didn't know. I'm new." Crap given. ;)

Eagle

I can come up with one example how an officer can figure out a person is in violation. Let's say a person with an outdated DL borrows a vehicle registered to their spouse who after the move already changed their DL, title, insurance, etc. That will definitely prompt questions from the officer and may lead to to discovery of the violation. Now regarding your statement about the fine... smallest speeding violation may fall into a class D traffic violation, while the matter of not obtaining Oregon license within 30 days of becoming a resident is a class B (more expensive) violation and is equivalent to driving without a license altogether.

I can come up with one example how an officer can figure out a person is in violation. Let's say a person with an outdated DL borrows a vehicle registered to their spouse who after the move already changed their DL, title, insurance, etc. That will definitely prompt questions from the officer and may lead to to discovery of the violation. Now regarding your statement about the fine... smallest speeding violation may fall into a class D traffic violation, while the matter of not obtaining Oregon license within 30 days of becoming a resident is a class B (more expensive) violation and is equivalent to driving without a license altogether.
the fine for which the DMV charges is less than 75 bucks as I said earlier. As for an officer giving a ticket, ya, if they give you one sure. again doubt they will. But I guess that is a gamble, that is if you wish to take it. Not that any of this is relavent to the OP. who knows he didn't say he even drives.

the fine for which the DMV charges is less than 75 bucks as I said earlier. As for an officer giving a ticket, ya, if they give you one sure. again doubt they will. But I guess that is a gamble, that is if you wish to take it. Not that any of this is relavent to the OP. who knows he didn't say he even drives.

Less than $75 ? :) Let's see...

(2) Class B violation
Maximum Fine
(Individuals)
$1,000

http://courts.oregon.gov/Coos/docs/general_orders/misc/2012_violation_fine_schedule.pdf
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/docs/vcb/vcb153.pdf

That is of course the worst case scenario, but even the minimum is greater than the $75 you assumed, and, there might be additional penalties imposed.

Less than $75 ? :) Let's see...

(2) Class B violation
Maximum Fine
(Individuals)
$1,000

http://courts.oregon.gov/Coos/docs/general_orders/misc/2012_violation_fine_schedule.pdf
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/docs/vcb/vcb153.pdf

That is of course the worst case scenario, but even the minimum is greater than the $75 you assumed, and, there might be additional penalties imposed.
again you miss understand. There is a fee associated with getting your ODL if you neglect to notify the DMV of an address change within 30 days. This is the fee I'm referring to. Not the tax an officer might impose for the same violation.

Eagle

again you miss understand. There is a fee associated with getting your ODL if you neglect to notify the DMV of an address change within 30 days. This is the fee I'm referring to. Not the tax an officer might impose for the same violation.

Eagle

I understood you, but in the initial statement you said "officer", and I wanted to cover that extreme case first. Was the $75 number listed on DMV website ? Because Vehicle Code (I cited it on the 1st page) defines failure to notify of change of address within 30 days as a Class D violation, which has a minimum fine of $60 and maximum fine of $250, and lines up with what you said about speeding 1-10mph above the limit (without special circumstances) which is also a Class D violation. This violation though can only apply to persons who are already in possession of an Oregon ID/DL card.

I understood you, but in the initial statement you said "officer", and I wanted to cover that extreme case first. Was the $75 number listed on DMV website ? Because Vehicle Code (I cited it on the 1st page) defines failure to notify of change of address within 30 days as a Class D violation, which has a minimum fine of $60 and maximum fine of $250, and lines up with what you said about speeding 1-10mph above the limit (without special circumstances) which is also a Class D violation. This violation though can only apply to persons who are already in possession of an Oregon ID/DL card.
yes but in my original statement you will notice I don't believe any reasonable officer will give such a ticket, just like a reasonable officer isn't going to bar you from having your CHL because you neglected to change your address immediately. My second post to you was in relation to what I knew to be relatively close to. The DMV fees. Why? Because I have made that mistake of opening my mouth and had to pay a DMV fee and knew it was relatively close to 75 bucks. Does that clear it up? I remember thinking to myself "they had no way of knowing."

Eagle

yes but in my original statement you will notice I don't believe any reasonable officer will give such a ticket, just like a reasonable officer isn't going to bar you from having your CHL because you neglected to change your address immediately.
Eagle

Ever heard of "Chicken bubblegum Laws for bubblegums" theory ? :)

My second post to you was in relation to what I knew to be relatively close to. The DMV fees. Why? Because I have made that mistake of opening my mouth and had to pay a DMV fee and knew it was relatively close to 75 bucks. Does that clear it up? I remember thinking to myself "they had no way of knowing."

It would be interesting to know what exactly they charged you for.

Ever heard of "Chicken bubblegum Laws for bubblegums" theory ? :)

It would be interesting to know what exactly they charged you for.
to be honest with the bubblegum bleeping I'm not sure what expletive your trying to say. And I'm racking my brain trying to figure out. As for the fee it was for neglecting to update the address although I did already have an ODL unlike the OP.

to be honest with the bubblegum bleeping I'm not sure what expletive your trying to say. And I'm racking my brain trying to figure out. As for the fee it was for neglecting to update the address although I did already have an ODL unlike the OP.

Yeah, sorry... before the upgrade if you were to quote somebody's message, you would see unobfuscated text before you submit your reply. Here is what my reference was to : http://www.policemag.com/cop-slang/cslfa.aspx
For a board that targets adults we have some pretty ridiculous language restrictions here.

Now your "neglecting to update", was it charged as a traffic violation fine, or rather as an administrative fee of some sorts ? That's my question...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top