JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,
I'm a oregon res and was in clackamas Sportsman's today, and one of the worker behind the counter mentioned I could go to the Vancouver location ( Washington) and purchase the rifle and get it same day.

Im wanting to purchase a rascal .22 rifle for my kid for Christmas.

I'm curious has anything gone over to WA and purchase recently?

My son in-law and I were told to do the same thing by the Sportsman's in Portland, a few weeks back.
We were looking for .308's and they had them in Washington.
We went up to Kelso and both got instant approvals.

Ha…no.
I'm an Oregonian and ordered a Ruger American Ranch Rifle right after Thanksgiving.

I had it sent to Sportsman's in Kelso, WA because it's much closer to me than any Oregon Sportsman's location.

The NICS check was initiated on 27 Nov; it cleared on 15 Dec.

I take this to read that purchasing in WA means it doesn't go through the jammed up OSP to get to NICS? Is that correct?
I believe so - they go by their own system, as long as it complies with the laws of the state the purchaser resides in - which it currently does. After the permit system is in place it still would as long as you have a permit - I think.

From what I understand it goes directly to NICS.
It depends. WA is a partial POC State (POC means it goes thru the State), it is currently partial POC for handguns and semi-auto rifles
In 2020 WA passed a law to transition to full POC (that means for all firearms).
see the below for specifics:

In 2020, Washington enacted a law making it a full point of contact state for NICS. The new law requires the Washington state patrol to establish a firearms background check unit to serve as a centralized single point of contact for dealers to conduct background checks for firearms sales or transfers.3 Until the new system becomes operational, however, the following background check procedures still apply4:

• Local law enforcement departments serve as state points of contact for implementation of the Brady Act for all dealer deliveries of handguns. In 2018, voters approved a measure that extends this requirement to transfers of semiautomatic rifles.5
  • Licensed dealers must conduct background checks on prospective purchasers each time a dealer transfers a firearm.6 Washington requires firearms dealers to use NICS, the Washington State Patrol electronic database, the Department of Social and Health Services' electronic database, and other agencies or resources as appropriate when processing firearm transactions.7
My guess is the new system is not yet operational, thus the firearm in question (above post) a rifle, was able to go direct to NICS thus a speedy process. Just wait till they get the full POC system in place, likely slower and costing the WA taxpayers a needless amount of money.

This is simply State bureaucracies doing what they do best....... create more bureaucracies!!

Last Edited:
My son in-law and I were told to do the same thing by the Sportsman's in Portland, a few weeks back.
We were looking for .308's and they had them in Washington.
We went up to Kelso and both got instant approvals.
That only goes for long guns. Handguns purchased out of state still have to go thru the local FFL in your area.

No, it's semi auto.
A 22 Rascal, what the OP is purchasing, is a bolt action rifle. So is the Ruger American Ranch another member mentioned. Any bolt action rifle will be cleared by NICS for an OR resident until WA moves beyond SARs and pistols for centralized BRC.
An OR resident cannot purchase a semiauto rifle in WA per 1639. It would have to be shipped or taken to an OR FFL for transfer.

A 22 Rascal, what the OP is purchasing, is a bolt action rifle. So is the Ruger American Ranch another member mentioned. Any bolt action rifle will be cleared by NICS for an OR resident until WA moves beyond SARs and pistols for centralized BRC.
Yup - as an Oregon resident, I bought a nice Winchester lever action in Vancouver last year - instant approval.

An OR resident cannot purchase a semiauto rifle in WA per 1639. It would have to be shipped or taken to an OR FFL for transfer.
Yeah I mis-read…. Guess that's what happens when you're multitasking and working.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top