JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just applied for a UPIN from NICS to stop this WA delay purgatory. NICS wrote me back and said they got my application and there has been such a great demand for them that it will take up to 95 days to get the UPIN. Great system if they have to issue so many UPIN's due to so many erroneous delay responses. NICS system bites if you get stuck in its delay nightmare. I have had delays from a few hours too my current 3 weeks and counting. Good luck to ya! - G

Just like everything they touch. Stumble, fumble, fall!!!

(I know, I know, I probably just went from always delay to deny)

Ed

Maybe it's you. I've never had a delay for a background check.

obvious-troll.jpg

First gun I bought earlier this year took 15-20 minutes to clear. Next few were all under 5 minutes unless you count the wait time on hold. One transfer took over 20 minutes just because the dealer was on hold/getting busy signals with OSP, the guy before me had been waiting 30 minutes already. Last gun I bought at the PDX show took a good 15 minutes to clear me and they did that one over the internet. Two guys behind me got their guns before I did.

I feel the pain. A little about me. Army vet, Oregon certified firefighter with background check, Washington CHL, Clearance badges for high tech facilities. Never delayed anytime before moving to Oregon. Moved here two years ago, tried to by a lower for my AR and delayed for two months. Finally cleared. Six days later found a rifle I really wanted, delayed again. Really frustrated.

Someone please correct me. I thought that if the clearance from OSP didn't come through in a certain amount of time (3 days?) the FFL could complete the purchase.

I've never had a delay.

Just talked to one of our local dealers yesterday. He said that if he gets a delay, with a WA CPL, after three days he releases the gun. IF he gets a proceed after the three days and the buyer has a WA CPL, that is good news; but, his paper is closed and he does not update it. If he gets a deny, he just tells them, too bad, so sad, the gun is gone with the buyer. He says, if they want to go get it, so be it; but, that is none of his business.

ON the WA state side, if the buyer does not have a CPL, the state does its own, in addition to the NICS, background check (has 5 working days to do it). If they don't get back to them (they always do) he releases the gun. He doesn't know what they would do on a state deny after the 5 days because he has never seen one.

Ed

Last Edited:
I'm at the gun store today to pick up a M66 I laid away last Friday,got delayed.
So I'm walking around looking at other stuff and guns,cause I know they delay me for only a half hour.
I find a Sig 1911 I have to have,I can take it home now.
Then he asks about the delay on the 66 from 30 mins ago,yeah he can take that too.

I have been delayed the last 4 times and most have called back in less than an hour.
Not sure I get it.

Never had a delay but usually they result from someone else with the same name or DOB. If it happens more than once, I'd get a UPIN.

I know there are stautory limits to how long a delat lasts but I'm honestly less familiar with that part of the law than your local FFL will be.

I feel your pain. I get delayed all the time also since I got denied a couple of years ago from some guy with a similar name racked up a dishonorable discharge from the military (which I have never been in). I have a shotgun still on NICS delay at Big 5 in Kent for over 3 weeks now. Went down to AZ and purchased same shotgun, no problems. I have an AZ CCW permit also which bypasses NICS check since AZ and NICS update each other constantly. They type in your permit number and out the door you go with your firearm.

I just applied for a UPIN from NICS to stop this WA delay purgatory. NICS wrote me back and said they got my application and there has been such a great demand for them that it will take up to 95 days to get the UPIN. Great system if they have to issue so many UPIN's due to so many erroneous delay responses. NICS system bites if you get stuck in its delay nightmare. I have had delays from a few hours too my current 3 weeks and counting. Good luck to ya! - G

I finally got my NICS UPIN in the mail this week. That's right, it took from Nov 7th 2011 to April 17th 2012 to get it, over 5 months! Called them several times and all I got was a person saying they were really backed up and be patient. Letter said it may take 95 days and it actually took approx 160 days. Funny thing is when I called in late March 2012 to check on the status the person on the phone said they were just getting to the apps they received in Nov 2011. So it really takes less then a couple of weeks to do the background check, it just takes them 4+ months to do so, amazing. It is probably the same for suppressors I would guess. A true model of inefficiency for sure.

Going to go make a new handgun purchase next week and see if this thing works. Never did get my shotguns from either Big 5 in Kent or Federal Way. I have purchased 3 firearms since then with the usual varying delays. Big 5 bites the big one because they wont take the time to follow up on a delay and wont release rifle after the 72 hour period of no response from NICS. No NICS proceed (even if they missed the NICS response phone call) and they dont do the deal. -G

Come on, guys. It's the Government. Can anyone point me at a Government program that works? How about one that works for the citizen?
Its programs are named Stumble, Fumble, and Fail.

Come on, guys. It's the Government. Can anyone point me at a Government program that works? How about one that works for the citizen?
Its programs are named Stumble, Fumble, and Fail.

For what it's worth, when I applied for a 03FFL (C&R) from the BATFE, I got it within 30 days of application. I had an issue with a rejected card when I renewed it once, which took calls and snail mail money order and more confusion when it was cashed but my account wasn't updated....long story short, every time I called the BATFE I was treated well and had great customer service. Now, I realize that different parts of the agency have different workers, and God only knows who you'll get when you deal with them, but I've always had good luck. (Knocking on lots of wood here!)

This seems to be happening all to often. I was delayed in Jan. It was the first time I had ever heard it.

After a lot of time on the phone to Salem and getting no where I gave up and got on the net.

I had ordered the pistol from Texas and had it shipped to a local dealer.
Went to Roseburg gun shop after 72 hours with a print out about picking up my pistol that I had already paided 1069 dollars for.

They still would not release my pistol. Just before I left the store he checked the computer again and the approval had come through earlier in the day.

I will NEVER do any business with them again. If your dealer will release your firearm after 72 hours you should support them with your business every chance you can.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top