JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I worked grocery years ago in my early 20's. We had loss prevention but not all the time. The guys and I working the store used to chase those bastards through the parking lot to catch them. It was a matter of showing them they couldn't steal from our store.

Your rant sucked - from a shoplifter to fascist goverment. Give me a break.

I eat things now and again in the store, muffin, maybe some jojo's, whatever.

I also pay for it when I leave. Mind your own business, Mr. Busybody.

As for all the other rats in this thread, nobody likes a tattle tale.

Question? If you eat it but have not paid for it, then you have taken something and used it for your benefit without owning it, right? Theft defined is the act of stealing; specifically : the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it.

Now seeing as you or I can neither prove or disprove your intent, I prefer to follow the straight and narrow. I don't eat "just one grape" or take a donut and eat it from the display, it gives off a poor example and more than likely will lead to issues I would prefer not to deal with. I was always taught that if it isn't yours, you don't take it, and if you haven't paid for it, then it isn't yours.

You should really try to lead by example, which gets me to my next point. Shame on the poster of this topic. You should have confronted this "punk" with your children present. Or you should have told someone at the store about his theft, letting your children know it is okay to report a crime to people. You missed a great citizenship moment for your children.

Loosen your panties. I am supposed to behave a specific way in public so random nosey people can interpret my intentions?

Give me a break.

I have never had a cashier ever say a word, or even blink twice when I told them. Ever. Nor has any employee said a word to me while eating something in front of them in a store while I was shopping.

Talk about the thought police and thinking the worst of a person.

"Live and let live, unless I think you might not pay for that donut!"

Its simply not yours till you pay for it. If someone came on your private property and started walking around or pocketing your stuff or eating it I bet you sure as bubblegum would find out real fast what the deal was.
Or how about this, tell the store/market manager/owner that you are going to just eat your way around the place and then pay when you leave. If he says 'cool' then fine. Otherwise to other customers you look like a thief.
Its a private property issue. You should respect it.

Amen Salted Weapon! A supermarket is not for walking around and eating stuff you have not paid for, even if you plan to pay for it.

Imagine walking into a gun shop and the owner dealing with customers randomly opening containers of powders, primers, bullets, magazines, cleaning supplies or anything else for that matter "with the intent" to buy it? The owner would be pissed!

So as best bet that I have learned from other comments, as a Busybody, next time you are eating those jojo's, doughnuts and muffins in a supermarket, I hope myself and the civilized community makes a nice connection between you and management about your intentions...its not a restaurant. Go buy your stuff and sit down at the Star Bucks and eat it like a civilized person. We have enough uncivilized folks in this world. It will save us all the hassle of wondering if you or a punk kid are stealing or not. Thank you kindly.

Your rant sucked - from a shoplifter to fascist goverment. Give me a break.
I eat things now and again in the store, muffin, maybe some jojo's, whatever.
I also pay for it when I leave. Mind your own business, Mr. Busybody.
As for all the other rats in this thread, nobody likes a tattle tale.

Do us all a favor and eat before you go shopping, a store is for shopping restaurants eating.
Paid employees to have to follow you around to see if you will pay for it is rude and adds to more costs.
Do us all another favor we do not need to know your eating habits and watch you slobber
around the isle. Its called manners !

Thanks

Grab your stones and say something to the person, or STFU and mind your own business.

This is a bubblegum statement too. If society would do a passable job of policing its own then we might have less government trying to do it.
The slide of society is everyone's business. Too many people pull the curtains and ignore it. That gives the jackwagons of the world free reign to walk all over societies unwritten (and written) rules and laws.
Grab your own stones and make a positive difference.

One of the points of the thread was to try and figure out what to do next time as part of continual improvement.
Most of the comments were useful, a few not so much.
At least I know to throw away my bubblegum and pick up stones!

This is a bubblegum statement too. If society would do a passable job of policing its own then we might have less government trying to do it.
The slide of society is everyone's business. Too many people pull the curtains and ignore it. That gives the jackwagons of the world free reign to walk all over societies unwritten (and written) rules and laws.
Grab your own stones and make a positive difference.

I just hate the whole narc thing. Without the Stasi mentality engrained into the sheep, tyranny would fall flat on its face in this country. Unfortunately, and foolishly, Americans are all conditioned to control and watch their peers for the benefit of their masters.

I know the maple bar analogy is silly, but it really does follow the same pattern.

The greatest freedom of all is the freedom to be left alone.

I don't want some hen watching what I am doing 24/7; mind your own business.

Our society is breaking down and is on course for complete collapse. Think of other things to be concerned about other than some ridiculous maple bar. (Kudos to the OP for realizing this at the end; putting things into perspective).

I just hate the whole narc thing. Without the Stasi mentality engrained into the sheep, tyranny would fall flat on its face in this country. Unfortunately, and foolishly, Americans are all conditioned to control and watch their peers for the benefit of their masters.

I know the maple bar analogy is silly, but it really does follow the same pattern.

Our society is breaking down and is on course for complete collapse. Think of other things to be concerned about other than some ridiculous maple bar. (Kudos to the OP for realizing this at the end; putting things into perspective).

For once I am having to disagree with you. The problem with society is that too many people look the other way when they see the wrong thing being done instead of standing up for what is right. There are a myriad of excuses they always say, such as: It doesn't involve me, not my problem, best left alone, etc. I am sure Catherine "Kitty" Genovese would tell you that her attackers who raped and killed her just wanted to be left alone to do what they did to her if she were alive to tell us such. Our society is breaking down because in the face of evil, all we see is inaction of good men.

Burt you have a lot of great stuff that I have read, and I understand the point you are making but I have to respectfully disagree on this. I know this is oversimplifiying this but, what ever happened to just doing whats right? if somebody is breaking the law by stealing, shouldn't that be dealt with? or should it be let go? whether stealing a piece of fruit or a laptop, a car or a simple maple bar... its wrong (correct?) we can't ALL just go back and grab a maple bar (assuming he took it without paying) or anything else we want, somebody owns that product. Now regarding that kid, I am not saying we need to spy on everybody but if you see something like that in broad daylight then the manager should at least ask to see his receipt. why should it be ok for him to just steal one and eat it (again...if he did steal it)? if he has a receipt then fine, sorry to bother you, have a nice day.

As for being a "narc" where would you draw the line? if somebody saw a kid spraypainting your fence would it be ratting that kid out or doing the right thing and letting you know about it? if your kid or mine was getting into things that could be harmful to them (you fill in the blank) yes I know we can come up with all kinds of examples, and the line can be fuzzy sometimes, but as somebody mentioned above it slowly errodes society when everybody just lets EVERY wrong go. whether we agree with the laws or not we are a society of laws, and the laws help do a job that parents should be doing. if we simply went by each persons own "line in the sand" for what was right and what was wrong we would all have different moral lines and it would be a pretty messed up society (I know, I know, it already is).

anyway, just my .02

II know the maple bar analogy is silly, but it really does follow the same pattern.

The foundation of society requires that everyone abides by rules. Rules that protect the rights and property of others. One reason why we have such a massive overburden of law enforcement and government is because individuals won't handle anything on their own. That's why 'sheeple' call 911 because jack in the crack left the pickles off of their burger. If people like the kid in the OP knew society, not the cops etc..., wouldn't stand for bus theft then he would be much less likely to take it. And if his friends saw him get what for after taking it then. They would think twice next time too.
Same analogy as above but I damn well guarantee that if some punk walked across your property and picked something up you would want your neighbor to either stop them or alert you.

To the people above that disagree with me, how dare you! LOL Wow, thanks for being so polite about it. I am no guru and I am sure I am wrong about a lot of things. I do believe I am on the right track about the whole 'narc' issue though.

Let me put it this way so it is a little more personal. When it comes time for 'them' to collect guns, it will be the busy bodies, the Mrs Kravitzes of the world that will be your undoing.

MrsKravitz.jpg

"Do you own any guns or have any food stores?" - "No, but the guy up on the corner has some."

The whole Homeland 'if you see something, say something' BS is disgusting. If you are going to be a Stasi officer, get a uniform and at least get paid.

So paranoid law abiding people can squeal on other law abiding people - probably for a fee. Are you aware that most of the people in Gitmo are just innocent cab drivers and goat herders but we put out a $25k bounty for any suspicious person that would be turned in by a cooperative foreigner? How many people would be pointing a finger at you if HS offered a $200k reward for information about anyone who still owns a gun? It's coming pal.

People just point and accuse. That is now the equivalent of what used to be evidence, an investigation, and a search warrant. The point and accuse thing is so much easier though.

Get their $. The poor innocent sap is put in chains. That might just be your future. (The guy in chains).

The maple bar kid is just a very loose (and stupid) similar situation. In a population of sheep, a sheepdog is not even required when the sheep can be counted on to watch themselves, and report.

As for the foundation of society, look around, our society and financial system is collapsing and there is no turning back. So as the crackdown gets underway in the Empire, the squealers and traitors will be the worst enemy of the man that is attempting to remain 'free' aka to be left alone.

Got any skeletons or cans of tuna fish in your closet? Not any more. Your kid talked to another kid at school about you and the other kid told his parents. If you haven't got the memo, people who have more than a week's worth of food or over 500 rounds of ammo are potential terrorists. That means YOU with your $25 525-qty 22lr pack of ammo or your Mountain House. You need to be checked out for mental illness. Thank the lord that the busy body friend of your ex-wife was concerned enough to call and report on you.

We are a society of non-thinking mindless drones who know nothing, except we are programmed and conditioned to 'report' on anything that might be deemed a threat to the hive. So, if you want to be narc-proof, be exactly like everyone else, don't say certain things, don't own guns, stick a flag in your car window, don't have any fringe views or opinions, etc. Oh wait, squealers also love to make things up to cover their own arse. So you might be screwed even if you waive the white flag and agree just to STFU.

Burt,

I was going to give you a "like" for that last one because I actually agree with the points you made lol, but I am supposed to be slightly debating this. Like I said before the line can many times be a fuzzy one and difficult to see and understand. In the case of everything you listed I feel the same way. The maple bar issue (although silly) versus extra food in your house is a situation we/anyone legally paid for verses something someone has supposedly stollen. Could the government stick their fat nose in and require people rat out neighbors? yes its happened before sadly... I guess when that time comes we will all be lawbreakers.

anyway, good points.

The homeless are known for doing this at the Safeway Museum Place in downtown PDX. They walk in, graze a bit and walk out. The security dudes are on to it and usually don't let them in the store.

To the people above that disagree with me, how dare you! LOL Wow, thanks for being so polite about it. I am no guru and I am sure I am wrong about a lot of things. I do believe I am on the right track about the whole 'narc' issue though.

Let me put it this way so it is a little more personal. When it comes time for 'them' to collect guns, it will be the busy bodies, the Mrs Kravitzes of the world that will be your undoing.

MrsKravitz.jpg

"Do you own any guns or have any food stores?" - "No, but the guy up on the corner has some."

The whole Homeland 'if you see something, say something' BS is disgusting. If you are going to be a Stasi officer, get a uniform and at least get paid.

So paranoid law abiding people can squeal on other law abiding people - probably for a fee. Are you aware that most of the people in Gitmo are just innocent cab drivers and goat herders but we put out a $25k bounty for any suspicious person that would be turned in by a cooperative foreigner? How many people would be pointing a finger at you if HS offered a $200k reward for information about anyone who still owns a gun? It's coming pal.

People just point and accuse. That is now the equivalent of what used to be evidence, an investigation, and a search warrant. The point and accuse thing is so much easier though.

Get their $. The poor innocent sap is put in chains. That might just be your future. (The guy in chains).

The maple bar kid is just a very loose (and stupid) similar situation. In a population of sheep, a sheepdog is not even required when the sheep can be counted on to watch themselves, and report.

As for the foundation of society, look around, our society and financial system is collapsing and there is no turning back. So as the crackdown gets underway in the Empire, the squealers and traitors will be the worst enemy of the man that is attempting to remain 'free' aka to be left alone.

Got any skeletons or cans of tuna fish in your closet? Not any more. Your kid talked to another kid at school about you and the other kid told his parents. If you haven't got the memo, people who have more than a week's worth of food or over 500 rounds of ammo are potential terrorists. That means YOU with your $25 525-qty 22lr pack of ammo or your Mountain House. You need to be checked out for mental illness. Thank the lord that the busy body friend of your ex-wife was concerned enough to call and report on you.

We are a society of non-thinking mindless drones who know nothing, except we are programmed and conditioned to 'report' on anything that might be deemed a threat to the hive. So, if you want to be narc-proof, be exactly like everyone else, don't say certain things, don't own guns, stick a flag in your car window, don't have any fringe views or opinions, etc. Oh wait, squealers also love to make things up to cover their own arse. So you might be screwed even if you waive the white flag and agree just to STFU.

We aren't talking terrorism here Burt, we are talking theft. We are talking about not getting government involved. We are talking about looking out for each other instead of building a massive government agency to do it for us. A huge agency that will eventually strip you of your rights. If someone was stealing from me I would hope you would at the very least tell me. If I saw someone walk in your garage and steal your tools would you prefer I just ignore it?
And I suppose if you saw some jihadi loading his panel van up with fertiizer and diesel fuel while muttering death to infidels, that you would also just shrug that off as none of your business too.

Under normal circumstances the employees will not say anything to you UNTIL you've made it past the register and are ready to leave. This is because they cannot prove intent in a court of law. You could stuff you pockets with stuff and as long as you're in the store, technically you have not stolen anything.
At the point you choose to conceal any unpaid item, I would see that as intent to steal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads