JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let an employee know what you saw in their store. They can decide if it's stealing or not, alert a manager, get security, tackle and torture... whatever they want to do in their store.

Maybe they're directed to ignore petty stuff? Maybe it's another employee coming to work? Who knows? I don't.

In a worst case scenario, you walk away without getting shanked by a soul-less methhead over a 49-cent pastry - and let professional merchants (who've all heard of thieves before) exercize company protocol in their store.

I found a manager and pointed the guy out. The manager called Security and they waited for the guy by the door. They asked to see in his backpack he said no and walked outside. They corned and stopped him and called the police. He would not let the police look in side his backpack. Police loaded him up and left. Yes I know it's not theft until you leave the store. Which he did on his own.

Two words: "KITTY GENOVESE." Google it... IMO, that entire neighborhood committed Obstruction of Justice... and while I'm no fan of guilt-by-association and am a VOCAL advocate of Due Process, it still seems to me that those people who ENABLED her killer to go free should have been charged as accessories after the fact. Her blood is on ALL of their hands... because there wasn't one good person who stood up to do the right thing.

New York, NY... the latter-day Sodom and Gomorrah.

The Kitty Genovese rape/murder story that led to the "good samaritan" laws didn't happen exactly the way your high school psychology class taught you. The story has spun wildly out of proportion and is, at this point, pretty much recounted to prove some point about apathetic society and the "bystander effect".

If you care to know the truth, there's a great research paper on it: Manning R., Levine, M. and Collins, A. (2007). The Kitty Genovese Murder and the social psychology of helping: the parable of the 38 witnesses. American Psychologist, 62, 555-562

The gist of the research is that there weren't 38 witnesses as is often told, but rather around 6 who saw only bits and pieces of what really happened. Furthermore, it is often said that nobody called the cops during the brutal rape/murder, but in fact, several calls were made to 911 that night but the callers did not fully understand the nature/severity of the crime being committed and thought it was a couple fighting. It was the police who never showed up or investigated well enough to stop the crime.

Hopefully you will read the research paper and/or do your own research into the actual facts of this case from vetted, academic sources and stop perpetuating the common falsehoods of this incident.

The Kitty Genovese rape/murder story that led to the "good samaritan" laws didn't happen exactly the way your high school psychology class taught you. The story has spun wildly out of proportion and is, at this point, pretty much recounted to prove some point about apathetic society and the "bystander effect".

If you care to know the truth, there's a great research paper on it: Manning R., Levine, M. and Collins, A. (2007). The Kitty Genovese Murder and the social psychology of helping: the parable of the 38 witnesses. American Psychologist, 62, 555-562

The gist of the research is that there weren't 38 witnesses as is often told, but rather around 6 who saw only bits and pieces of what really happened. Furthermore, it is often said that nobody called the cops during the brutal rape/murder, but in fact, several calls were made to 911 that night but the callers did not fully understand the nature/severity of the crime being committed and thought it was a couple fighting. It was the police who never showed up or investigated well enough to stop the crime.

Hopefully you will read the research paper and/or do your own research into the actual facts of this case from vetted, academic sources and stop perpetuating the common falsehoods of this incident.

Yes... I believe everything that was published because those feel good new yorkers most certainly don't think anything like that could ever happen that was their fault. Let's have everyone stand in a circle and point to the left so no one is to blame...

I found a manager and pointed the guy out. The manager called Security and they waited for the guy by the door. They asked to see in his backpack he said no and walked outside. They corned and stopped him and called the police. He would not let the police look in side his backpack. Police loaded him up and left. Yes I know it's not theft until you leave the store. Which he did on his own.
I thought there was something about hiding it on your person/garments/bags while in the store that made it illegal too. Although that was years ago too.

Asswipe makes it through the censor. Interesting.

I actually asked someone at Safeway about this great crime question.

"Not a big deal. If there was a real problem a manager would say something. It's only considered theft if you don't pay for it and leave the store."

So. The hypocrites in this thread can stand down. They can be free worry about their own rule breaking that undermines the great society, and who they will snitch out for the greater good. :s0114:
Soo, if you eat it in the store then take a dump and pee before you leave it's not theft?

Yes... I believe everything that was published because those feel good new yorkers most certainly don't think anything like that could ever happen that was their fault. Let's have everyone stand in a circle and point to the left so no one is to blame...

Hey there Tex, welcome to NORTHWEST firearms.

Don't let peer-reviewed research get in the way of your personal biases now. That would come dangerously close to intellectual honesty; can't have that now can we?

Hey there Tex, welcome to NORTHWEST firearms.

Don't let peer-reviewed research get in the way of your personal biases now. That would come dangerously close to intellectual honesty; can't have that now can we?

From personal experiences, everyone that I have ever met in real life from New York City, and I mean everyone, acted like they were the cream of the crop but were dumber than rocks. Grant it I don't meet many New Yorkers, maybe 10-12 total life time, but they have all been arrogant look at me I am from New York type. I can live with the label of personal bias. However I do know tons of people from the NORTHWEST (New York is the Northeast) and all of them have been pretty much normal. Plus when you bring up peer-reviewed research... let's see here what is a peer... a person who is equal to another in abilities, qualifications, age, background, and social status.

Since I know few people who are my equal we can call it lesser being discussion and not peer-reviewed research.

I am 32, maybe it is because my mother would have beat me to break me in for my father to beat me when I got home. Me nor my dearly departed brother would have dared to have stolen so brazenly and openly. I have a next door neighbor whose kid if asked who is in charge will say he is and his parents are ... proud of it... With my own kids I have made them start doing chores, and the eldest is the one with the biggest problem with it. I make them earn TV and Computer/game time and they don't like it, but they accept it, because I am the one in charge and in control of the resources. I will say one thing though, I hate going out in public because I am disgusted by most of what I see.

Don't make it to tough of a system so they will learn but not resent. I have to agree with you on what is going on with kids and parents today. Nice to hear that some are raising them right.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top