JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would agree with you on that ! That was totally unnecessary and very unprofessional as well. Yeah if the contact has nothing to do with a firearm then I would say nothing. Sometimes a few make it bad for others !

I get pulled over atleast once a month. I work swing shift, something about driving at 1am that screams pull me over. I always carry and I never hand over my CHL. Only once in five years have I had a cop walked back and asked "where is it?" Which I replyed with wheres what? I obay the laws the best I can. I have nothing to hide, but I also know my rights. I smile, keep the windows down, my hands on the wheel and the doom lights on.

I get pulled over atleast once a month. I work swing shift, something about driving at 1am that screams pull me over. I always carry and I never hand over my CHL. Only once in five years have I had a cop walked back and asked "where is it?" Which I replyed with wheres what? I obay the laws the best I can. I have nothing to hide, but I also know my rights. I smile, keep the windows down, my hands on the wheel and the doom lights on.

Ask any cop who has spent any time working that shift what kind of hits they get when they run plates that time of night. There isnt that much traffic so you are going to get some attention for sure. But once a month seems real high. Seems the local constables might get to know your ride at some point.

When you obtain a a Concealed Handgun License, the issuing Sheriff's office reports it to the DMV and becomes a part of your DMV information. When your vehicle license is radioed into police dispatch, they will automatically inform the office that you have a CHL and if it is current or not. So he knows before you pull over that you possess a CHL, and more than likely are armed. If it was not put into the system, your statement is suspect to the officer, Attitude can prolong your stop, and add questions, as the flag has already gone up, and officer safety could now be a concern. Lately there has been an unusual number of LEO deaths throughout the country, and there might be an over concern over a safe environment for both the officer and the person being pulled over.

Then I moved to WA, got a CPL, got pulled over right away, and when asked about a gun said "yes", having nothing to hide. I ended up with my hands up for 30 minutes at gunpoint. my parting comment was "If I was going to do something nefarious I would not have told you I had a gun genius"...
Hands up... or just on steering wheel.
I smile, keep the windows down, my hands on the wheel and the doom lights on.
yup that's my policy... I travel with guns often to go shooting, and for me, its what I can do so that the officer is more at ease during the stop. Oh most of my cars have had or still have tint on the windows, so its a black box of surprises to them.
Lately there has been an unusual number of LEO deaths throughout the country, and there might be an over concern over a safe environment for both the officer and the person being pulled over.
but how many are those from CHL members??? Personally ( im not an officer but) I think it should alert the officer that I have, or could have a gun. Also should let him know that I have been checked out, and reasonably a good person.

I used to believe this. But after having been harassed solely for driving the wrong type of car or for walking in groups of more than two people, I started to realize that it's more of a pipe dream.
My parents used to believe I was only giving them half of the story when I'd tell them about it later, until they were witness to a few examples.

A good one when I was driving back from a funeral in Medford. I was caravaning with my parents. Me in my lowered turbo import with racing stripes, driving behind them in their mini van.
We pulled into roseburg for gas at the chevron and to use the restrooms. While I was parked next to my parents van waiting for them to finish with the latter, a police car pulled behind me and turned on his lights. He walked up to my window and told me to get out of the car. In the middle of his little tirade about how I had no business driving through their town, I realized my parents were watching in disbelief.
Apparently the officers saw me pull off of I5 and followed me to the gas station. I was told to finish my business and get back onto I5. They then drove out of the parking lot, to the top of the overpass, parked, and watched until my family left the town.

There's no more to the story. No peeling out, speeding, revving my engine, previous problems, loud music, dirty looks, loitering, etc etc etc... I was harassed and essentially kicked out of town for driving a car the police officer didnt like. I wasnt happy about what happened, but I wasn't totally shocked either. My parents on the other hand didnt quite know how to handle or process the situation. Everything they witnessed went against their preconceived notions.
Growing up, we had always stopped in Roseburg when traveling between Eugene and Medford. Either for gas, or to eat at tomtom. That all stopped after that day. Now it's nothing but landmark that we look at as we go past and say "remember when".

Wow ,I thought it was only me.. I once took trip on my motorcycle to mexico like 20 years ago.,, me long hair with sleeping bag, on sissy bar of chopper. stopped at a park to have some lunch, local cop pulls up pretty much tells me i got 5 minutes to get out of town and dont ever come back or i am going to jail.. had many other runins as a kid, because i was driving hotrods, but not doing anything wrong other than driving something that had the potential of going fast, also used to get stopped alot because i worked swingshift,, never got a ticket mind you,, but like a previous poster was always getting checked out,, sometimes by the same cop, till he reckognized me... now i drive a slow dodge diesel,, never get pulled over.. maybe the op needs to buy a prius...consider it going stealth on law enforcement.

<----Not a Scumbag,not a Criminal and dont hang around with those types. I Don't drive a poser race car. I don't act like an A--Hole and rarely get treated like one.
When I have been pulled over I keep my hand in plain sight. I am respectfull and compliant, realizing that LEO's have a dangerous job.

I8, this how I comply also. Also have carried well before CHL were common. Spent some time earning a living in Kalifornia where it was pretty well impossible to obtain one, but carried anyway because it was a simple misdemenor if ya got caught. As far as stops, they have a reason whether profile, or you look like someone that has done a crime. Been a bad boy of bikedom, and served as a LEO. Once out of your domain, no one knows who you are, or what you are up. Could be as simple as an unknown car with tinted windows didn't pay for gas and drove off? You show up and pass a unit that just got the call. You know it wasn't you. The LEO does not, you ya get pulled over and checked!

Seems the local constables might get to know your ride at some point.
I rotate between my truck, jeep and bike along with my route home. I have the business cards of most of the cops in my area. but I still have three countys of sheriffs and the state police to deal with.

I love this line. "Your vehicle match the discription of one we are looking for" Oh really and what would that be? The deer in the head light look is classic :s0155:

I do a walk around my rig before work and when I head home. I replace bulbs as needed. It happens every so often. I'm so sick of hearing " I could not see your license plate" Funny, I wiped in clean before heading home and the bulbs where light. "well uhhh its working now, you must have a lose conection".

This all boils down to " hey there is a white guy with a good looking rig, He'll pay a ticket"

Yeah I said it, You know your all thinking

All your firearms have green cards? Strange, I've been all over Oregon and had a CHL the last 15 years. The few times I have been stopped, I have never been questioned about firearms. Must be doing something wrong??????
I would suggest not doing any squirmy moves and keep your hands in plain sight. Let the officers ask the questions keeping answers brief and factual. It happens, but most have something better to do with their time than pick on anyone they can. Something a driver is doing triggers a stop

I may have posted this before... Back when I had my FFL in CA I went to a gun show at the Cow palace to drop off a gun to another dealer that I had worked on. LEO must have had someone on the roof of the building checking out the parking lot - I left the show to head up to the Reno show to meet up with some other dealers that I had done some work for and was pulled over not far from the Cow Palace (just south of SF). The officer walks up and asks for license and registration and if I have any illegal firearms. I was delivering several class III items but they were all in the trunk. I told the officer I didn't have anything illegal for me to possess. He says "well you don't mind if I search your car then" I said I won't give permission to search without a warrant. we went round and round as he played the ask for permission to search as many ways as he could think of game and I stated each time that I won't consent to search without a warrant. after about 45 minutes of the game I asked for his supervisor. Supervisor shows up and starts to play the same game and I informed them that they needed to get a warrant, let me go, or be prepared for a law suit over rights violations and illegal search. He started again and I explained that I had an 07/02 FFL and that it meant I could legally buy, sell, possess class III items, etc. He asked why I wouldn't let them search - I told him 1. I don't have anything illegal for me to posess, 2. I don't give up my rights to search without a warrant, and 3. asked if he had ever seen an FFL - he hadn't. I told them that I suspected that if I had any class III items and was searched even with the FFL that I might end up spending the weekend in jail because officers didn't know what the FFL allows and wouldn't be able to verify that information until the ATF was open on Monday morning. after about an hour I was finally let go - much better than spending the weekend in jail and spending days or months plus atty fees recovering my property.

3. asked if he had ever seen an FFL - he hadn't. I told them that I suspected that if I had any class III items and was searched even with the FFL that I might end up spending the weekend in jail because officers didn't know what the FFL allows and wouldn't be able to verify that information until the ATF was open on Monday morning. after about an hour I was finally let go - much better than spending the weekend in jail and spending days or months plus atty fees recovering my property.
this last part is what can really be a PIA... citizens getting the day interrupted and housed in JAIL until they can find out the truth.... i think thats why most just give in to the search, which tends to open the door to other issues

Something a driver is doing triggers a stop

As some have already mentioned, just driving the wrong car can trigger a stop. I have several rigs. One of the cars I have is a beat up mid-90's honda civic that I use for a commuter. Everything is legal on it, but it looks like a POS. Everytime I pass a cop, they look over at me at the very least. Many times they pull me over. When I am driving any of my other rigs, I never get a look. I am not going to stop driving my crappy little car for fear of being harassed, because it is reliable as can be and very cheap to drive. I shouldn't have to. If we have enough cops that have to pull people over for no reason, maybe that is a good place to start with much needed budget cuts.

As owner of a 94 Honda Accord that is FLAWLESSLY clean that looks bone stock and makes over 800 Horsepower... Has been in magazines and now a book... added to the fact that It is constantly on the top 10 car list stolen, im glad theyre pulling people over in Honduhs... Better chance of getting mmy car back if anything ever happened to it.

Funny thing is other than the exhaust note being loud and the twin disk rattling around when not engaged, theres not 1 hint of whats really going on with the car, and cops RARELY even look at a big bald white guy in a mint 94 4 door japanese econo sedan...

Makes me feel a bit better about what the police ARE doing. I know the remarks this statement will incite, and how its a tad hypocritical, but I dont care.

I will gladly tell and show if asked, as I dont drink nor do drugs and have 0 to hide.

Other than driving way to fast on vacant public highways in the middle of the night sometimes--- risking noone elses safety but my OWN, I dont break the law.

I will offer my CPL and the truth after I offer it should they ask if im carrying (with hands on the steering wheel and car off keys on dash etc). Its not worth a ruined day or pissing them off to me... And I have been pulled over (including speeding slightly in that car) and let off.

i can live with that

I was pulled over in Beaverton by Washington County Sheriff last week. The reason "I appeared to be driving indecisive". I was driving the wife's 2004 Highlander. No political stickers, no speeding, white guy w/ short hair & goatee, kids in car heading to b-ball practice. Anyway, red & blues came on, I pulled over, keys off, out & on dash. Hands on wheel, window down, "Afternoon, Sir". Tried not to chuckle when he gave me the indecisive line. Handed him license, insurance & CHL. Immeadiatly handed back CHL ask if I was carrying. "always". Ask where. "waistband". 2 minutes later I was off to practice, no tickets or other hassles. Driving indecisive is the last thing I've ever been accused of, laughable! Seemed to insinuate at first that I took a turn off TV Hwy in a bid to avoid him. But my decent attitude is probably why I went my way with minimum of hassle. It was a fishing trip, but why bite?

I am really confused. Maybe it's just me, but when I applied for my concealed I realized that I was agreeing to follow all current laws PLUS attempt to work with any leo at any point. Meaning, when I get pulled over, the second the officer is done intro'ing him/herself I politely tell them I have my chl and if/where my firearm is. Now funny enough, not once, not even a hint of attitude has ever come from an officer. These people risk their life everyday. They have no time to sit there and try and profile you to determine if they need to "assume" that you're never going to hurt them or any one else. Geez people, try a little thing called understanding. It may also help you be enlightened.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top