JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So this is ironic... I started reading this thread at lunch time and started thinking about how I would handle the situation, then on the ride home I got to experience it first hand. Driving through Mt Angel, I saw LEO's on the side of the road and checked my speed and I was good to go (right at the 30 mph). Sure enough as I pass them by they roll out behind me and with in 100 feet they pulled me over. The officer approached my car and said that he had pulled me over because I had covers over my license plates. He went on to inform me that they were illegal, but also that they were so old that they were fading out and making the plates harder to read (all of which was absolutely accurate, as I had just noticed the same about a week or so ago). He made a clear statement that he was only going to give me a warning, but would like to see my license. As I was in position, I offered up both my Drivers License and CHL. The officer looked at my CHL and than handed it back and said that he would be back in a few minutes. Moments later he returned, handed me my license back, told me that he appreciated me showing him my CHL and asked me if I was currently in possession. I clearly stated that I was carrying and carried daily, at which point he responded "Good, more law abiding citizens should carry. We chatted on a few minutes longer and then I was on my way. As I pass through Mt Angel regularly, I know that they will remember me and I them. I will be removing the covers off of my plates and expect no issues in the future as it appears these LEO's support the 2nd amendment rights. Cudo's to Mt. Angel LEO's, much respect...

I will call BS on this. Fact is, I am not going to shoot a cop with my gun, so good cop or bad, they have ne need to know anything about my gun, you see, it just simply does not concern anybody, it just is nobody's business.
Everybody in the World has heard about some trusted person gone bad, some of those people we trust are bad people, just pays to look out for yourself, when you can. It is not a matter of disrespect for anyone.

Not sure if you read my post or read something different in it. I was by no means telling anyone what to do, that is your call what you do. I have been in LE and been stopped and having stopped people. There are all kinds of people in the world, some are just naturally hostile to anyone in authority. A very high percentage of cops are good people. If a person has bad run in with cops often and with different cops, I would suggest that, that person looks at their own actions. Yes there can be a bad cop, and there are remedies to deal with them. One secret is not to do it at the stop, but later. As with all of us, our experience will vary. We can influence how others see us and deal with us.

Appreciate the information jgeist.

I guess it all comes down to the officer and how far they want to push things.

Next time I won't be so forthgiving.

If a person wants a cop to push things..... antagonize the cop trying to just do his job.
Nothing done to push buttons.....

As with most people a little courtesy goes a long way.
Yes, but how far is too far and then seen as "bending over backwards" to accommodate?
I think you may have missed the earlier 127 posts in this thread.

I have had one experience and only one and it was a positive one, just as I would expect all of them to go. I also run Military service plates, so maybe they know what they are walking into before they get there. It seems that since I have had them, I have less issues all around... I would not change the way that I handled my pull over, I will be forthright from the beginning and then let the LEO choose their own path. If they cross any lines I will get their name and badge number and lodge a formal complaint after the fact.. Until then, I will give them respect first and hope for the same in return.

Nothing done to push buttons.....

Yes, but how far is too far and then seen as "bending over backwards" to accommodate?
I think you may have missed the earlier 127 posts in this thread.

I was just commenting in general.

I did not mention any thing about bending over backwards? Not sure what all you mean by that. Reasonable accommodation would be the word, then is would probably depends on what one thinks is reasonable. One person may think the stop is completely unreasonable and respond accordingly or another person would thank the officer for helping them. I have been driving over 45 years and never had a bad incident with police officer. I don't get tickets either (pisses off wife, 'cause she does, very few).

One thing, people can complain. At the stop is not the time, would be a good rule. IF a person does get on of those bad officer, wait, then file a complaint with the state police or with that officer's department. IA is generally a slow process. Also if it a PD, one can complain to the city council.

Dealing with people is interesting, some will accept what they have done, other can be in complete denial and blame everyone else for their mishap. So my comments was in general because I was not there and I am not making any judgments on the stop. I was just sharing some of my experiences. As I mentioned, "experiences will vary."

BTW, it is some what like jgest said.

It's not against the law to ask when cop gets on his or her break so that both the driver and LEO can B.S. about firearms right? That's pretty much what this is about anyhow. Since CHL carriers are law abiding citizens I don't see what the problem is at present. :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top