JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
166.380 Examination of firearm by peace officer; arrest for failure to allow examination. (1) A peace officer may examine a firearm possessed by anyone on the person while in or on a public building to determine whether the firearm is a loaded firearm.
(2) Refusal by a person to allow the examination authorized by subsection (1) of this section constitutes reason to believe that the person has committed a crime and the peace officer may make an arrest pursuant to ORS 133.310. [1969 c.705 §3]

in you car is not public well as long as you are not in portland anyway
so you have the right to say NO
btw NOT in the system then how Mr officer did i get a CHL with out a valid ODL?

So do you think you got pulled over because of the tinted windows? Do you have a loud muffler as well? Just seeing what the cause was pulling you over.

Nm reread your post - looks like it was a profile stop.

I wouldn't volunteer the information unless asked. My way of dealing with police is to be polite, non aggressive and if an officer asked to search my car I would politely refuse, if asked to examine my firearm I would also refuse, pulling out a gun for cop to examine could go very wrong and if it did you can bet the report would not state that you were asked to hand over your weapon, it would state the officer fired on you when you pulled your weapon.

Just to weigh in, from both sides. I was a LEO for many years. To be honest, I looked at the CHL as a pre-criminal check. Turds dont get CHLs as a rule, and I have occoasionally asked on traffic stops what people carried, just out of curiousity, and had some convestions about guns, just like anyone here does. Could you have said no? Sure, unless he had reason to believe it was stolen, he did not have pc to search you. On the other hand, being cooperative is easier than picking a fight and trying to see who has the biggest cojones. You would beat the rap, but not the ride, and why go through the hassle? Talk to his supervisor or IA if you felt like he was out of bounds. As a rule, personally, I NEVER volunteer anyting. I dont offer my chl unless its asked, dont declare that i am carrying unless asked and Never give permission to search. A polite no, but I never give persmission, consent is difficult to fight in court, and i am also protective of my privacy.

Why even tell him there is a gun in the car? Unless they ask "Are there any weapons in the vehicle?" why bring it up? Are you bound by Oregon law to tell Peace Officers that you have a firearm on offical interactions?

If not, then I would have just told him "No, not without a warrant."

Well actually I'm nice to LEOs, so I'd probably let him inspect it (they just check the serial numbers to make sure it isn't stollen). I know if my guns were stollen I'd like to think a cop would run some serial numbers.

So what did he pull you over for anyways? Since you are so convinced that your tint is within spec and you were going below the speed limit, did he give you a reason?

I have been pulled over when CCW. had the first words from the officer be " How are you tonight? do you have any weapons in the vehicle?" SO what.....
I dont have a problem with it. the vehicle you know has been called in before the stop is made. I already know the Sherrif knows I carry ( he signed the permit) and If they want to make sure a gun is not on a hot list I don't care...
I think people need to unclich alittle and not be so concerned about S- - T that doesn't matter!
just My 2 cents:s0155:

Not on the hot list eh? Do they have a warrant? Give them an inch, they'll take a mile. Its gotten that way with DUI checkpoints and immigration check points 50+ miles from the borders.

That is the same as saying "Please detain me until a search can be done of my vehicle since I am giving you reason to be suspicious."

Exactly. And I take that stance with pride!

I've refused a search of my vehicle before. Despite my CHL, my friendly demeanor, and fact that they had already ran and inspected my CCW. They wanted to search my car to make sure there were no other firearms. They threatened to bring in dogs and/or get a warrant. I told them they should do whatever they feel is necessary for whatever threat they perceive. 4 cop cars, 8 officers, 2 dogs, and 90 minutes later, I was on my merry way, and the officers were not very happy. My parting comments didnt help the matter either. They were something to do with getting a tune up for their cop intuitions.

They never got a warrant, and the dogs never "hit" on anything, so my car never got searched. It wouldnt have mattered anyways. There was nothing to hide from them. But just because I have nothing to hide does not mean I will give strangers the go-ahead to rummage through my belongings.

166.380 Examination of firearm by peace officer; arrest for failure to allow examination. (1) A peace officer may examine a firearm possessed by anyone on the person while in or on a public building to determine whether the firearm is a loaded firearm.
(2) Refusal by a person to allow the examination authorized by subsection (1) of this section constitutes reason to believe that the person has committed a crime and the peace officer may make an arrest pursuant to ORS 133.310. [1969 c.705 §3]

OP was not in or on a a public building. So the above post has no bearing on the discussion.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members
80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

For what it's worth ---

ORS 166.360(4) "Public building" means a hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315 (Report required if person has possession of unlawful firearm or destructive device), a college or university, a city hall or the residence of any state official elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied by an agency of the state or a municipal corporation, as defined in ORS 297.405 (Definitions for ORS 297.020, 297.230, 297.405 to 297.740 and 297.990), other than a court facility.

3 times I've been pulled over, with a carry license, first time, didn't signal within 100 feet of a lane change handed over license and carry permit, he askes me do I have a gun on me, I say yes, he returns and gives me a warning. 2nd time, I give over my information asked me if I am carrying currently, I said no, comes back with a fix it ticket for expired tags, even tho I had new ones on the plates??, 3rd time get pulled over for doing 51mph in a 45mph zone, hand over my info, he asked me if im carrying, I said yes, gives me back my information, gave me a warning about speeding and sends me off. Three different officers, neither asked me where the location of my carry was, and the one time I didn't carry, I got a chicken s ticket. Not really sure what all thought processes go into a officers mind, but next time, I wouldn't inform, if there a good cop, they would see its in plain sight and shouldn't ask anything of it, since if you don't have a carry permit, you must have it in plain view. You were seriously profiled for your tinted compact import in a college town. Honestly he probably didn't have anything better to do, except maybe pull over a possible drug dealer, since vehicles like that get a bs association with drug mules.

Last Edited:
You basically just got your gun registered to your name. So if a crime is ever commited with your gun, they'll come to you. You should have said, no politely, they have no right to read off the SN of your non registered gun. They pulled a quick one imo.

You basically just got your gun registered to your name. So if a crime is ever commited with your gun, they'll come to you. You should have said, no politely, they have no right to read off the SN of your non registered gun.

except that in WA all purchased handguns are registered with the state under your name... (not sure with OR laws)...

not required... but it is an option...

since the gun is registered to me, if I eventually sell one, I will likely report the sale to the state so my name is no longer attached to the gun... (no sense in taking the heat if the buyer eventually commits a crime)...

So Oregon's 'non existant' gun registration has 'registered' that gun to me now? Pah!

It's been a while since I've been pulled over, but there has only been one time the officer wanted possession of my handgun. On that occasion my gun was in a fanny pack along with my wallet. He asked to hold the fanny pack and asked what pocket my wallet was in. He got my wallet out for me, I handed him my insurance card, license and CHL permit. When we were done he handed my fanny pack back to me. Never looked at the gun. Didn't dig around for anything else.
Since I got my permit over 20 years ago I have been pulled over several times, usually for speeding. Every time I've informed the officer that I have a CHL and if I have a handgun on me or not. I figure, like many others here, that the guy doesn't need any surprises from me. I've not ever been asked to hand over a gun that was on my person. Maybe that's the best way.:cool:
Someone else talked about standing their ground and it took 90 minutes before they were on their way. Cool for you if you are so inclined. I have nuthin to hide and my time is better spent doing what I want to do. Not to mention I'd just as soon not be known as that as*hole we pulled over _______ (fill in the blank)
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
To the OP, I think you handled the situation well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top