JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow! So many equate not giving permission to being a jerk or an bubblegum.

1) The officer ASKED if he could search the car. If he's ASKING then he better be prepared for either a YES or a NO answer.
2) Are you a jerk or an bubblegum if you remain silent? (it is your right)
3) Are you a jerk or an bubblegum if you go to church? (it is your right)
3) Are you a jerk or an bubblegum if you don't give the police permission to search you? (it is your right)

You can say "no" politely. You don't have to allow them to go on a fishing expedition in your car.

This is my opinion only.
The question to ask is, "Why would you want to do that, officer?"
If he gave me a good reason, O.K. if not, my answer would be,
"I would be a lot more comfortable if you didn't."
Let us not forget that despite the badge, these guys are people too.
Maybe I am a bit of a butt kisser, but I have had some great interactions
with L.E.O.s in the past, and most of the officers in S.E. Portland will wave when they see me on the road.
Then again it could be they just recognize my awesome car.

"Got a warrant?" works pretty well.

Yeah, it works pretty well at making them detain you until they can legally search your car. Which is not a hard thing to do because of the court ruling regarding searching vehicles due to the nature of them being able to be moved.

Courts have upheld the legal belief that there is a lessened expectation to a right to privacy while in a motor vehicle on a public street. Warrants are not generally required for car searches. All an officer must show is probable cause. Refusing a casual inspection is often upheld as probably cause of suspicion.

wow all the let the officer VIOLTAE your right just because you dont want to look like an a$$ or face a ticket?????

do any of you "let him look" advocates even read the bill of rights?

or what is it that you are afriad of in standing up for your rights??? contradiction is it not your right why you carry a gun in the first place?
yet you cow down on on the rest of your rights?

Courts have upheld the legal belief that there is a lessened expectation to a right to privacy while in a motor vehicle on a public street. Warrants are not generally required for car searches. All an officer must show is probable cause. Refusing a casual inspection is often upheld as probably cause of suspicion.

yes all because every one say " go ahead officer "

Yeah, it works pretty well at making them detain you until they can legally search your car. Which is not a hard thing to do because of the court ruling regarding searching vehicles due to the nature of them being able to be moved.

The 4th Amendment says nothing about an exemption for your car out of the list of "persons, papers and effects".

Effects are possessions and a car qualifies

Probable cause and a warrant signed by a judge are required for any Constitutional search. To obtain a warrant someone has to give an oath or affirmation (probablr cause for a warrant, at penalty of perjury, although unfortunately that is not often applied to miscreants) that they have evidence of a crime having been or that is being committed. Refusing to allow cops to willy nilly (legal~eze here lol) search your belongings at will is not evidence of wrongdoing

wow all the let the officer VIOLTAE your right just because you dont want to look like an a$$ or face a ticket?????

do any of you "let him look" advocates even read the bill of rights?

or what is it that you are afriad of in standing up for your rights??? contradiction is it not your right why you carry a gun in the first place?
yet you cow down on on the rest of your rights?

These submissives will be the first inmates of FEMA camps when matters escalate to full speed

I'm surprised how many don't realize the fact that cops can do anything they want, like making your life more difficult only because they want to.
If he asks to see my weapon, I will carefully comply. The last time I was stopped I was clocked from the air s/b I-5. They had some "sting" thing going & got me for 80. As soon as the stater walked up to the car I handed him my license & permit. I also volunteered my weapon. He handed my permit back & said "No, that's okay". Then he wrote me up. He could care less, probably because I was so forthright about it.

How many times have you been asked to have your vehicle searched? Ever actually refused? I have been in the situation a number of times and denied the search every time. Not once has a warrant ever appeared or my rig actually searched.

I'm surprised how many don't realize the fact that cops can do anything they want, like making your life more difficult only because they want to.
If he asks to see my weapon, I will carefully comply. The last time I was stopped I was clocked from the air s/b I-5. They had some "sting" thing going & got me for 80. As soon as the stater walked up to the car I handed him my license & permit. I also volunteered my weapon. He handed my permit back & said "No, that's okay". Then he wrote me up. He could care less, probably because I was so forthright about it.

We lowly citizens can make their lives just as difficult, if need be. It only requires a little creativity.

I am surprised how people are willing to jump into the Us/Them mentality.
I guess unless you have lived under real tyranny, and oppression you have no idea
what the intent of the U.S. constitution is. Just let me know when the real Redcoats get here.
I am reminded of my fathers favorite quote.
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo

not required... but it is an option...

since the gun is registered to me, if I eventually sell one, I will likely report the sale to the state so my name is no longer attached to the gun... (no sense in taking the heat if the buyer eventually commits a crime)...

Note to self never buy a gun from this member.

They don't really register guns in Washington.There is a RECORD of the sale,if done at a FFL,but that's it.

I think if you are silly enough to show your permit to an officer,you should be just as silly and let him search your vehicle.

I never show them my permit and always have the gun out of site.They don't care most of the time,they just want to write an infraction and put it on their record to show they did something.

Now in Tacoma or Lakewood,they would love to search the vehicle ,I'm sure

I'm sure glad those men and even women at Lexington and Concord weren't so ready to hand their weapons over, back there in 1775. If you'll cave at a mere traffic stop where they have no right to search you, you'll cave when they ban your guns, and hand them over one last time

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top