JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
actually, i remembered why its easier to back into a spot than nose in - because with the steering in the rear, you can make much more rapid and precise trajectory adjustments, just like driving a forklift.

plus u can see other closely parked cars way better over the bed than u can the hood.

it just plain is easier to back jnto spots

Last Edited:
I've always backed into parking spaces as it's safer when leaving.
Backing is backing. You can't see all that well backing into a parking space. There might be a child in the space that you cannot see, as just one example. Statistics show that roughly 25% of all accidents involve backing maneuvers. Backing is simply more hazardous for most drivers to execute. Reducing the element of hazard involved can lower your chances of accident. So do as little backing as possible.

I agree, backing out of a parking place has its own element of hazard. To reduce this, I creep out very slowly, with my head physically turned to watch the move. There is no denying that the slower you go, the less damage or injury that you can inflict, and it allows other drivers who may be approaching some warning of what's going on. Backing slowly gives you more time to provide the range and time you need to see in all directions.

Some people who have pickup trucks as long as fire engines find it difficult to head into a parking stall without resulting in a cock-eyed parking angle. So their choice may be to back into a stall, having the advantage of articulated wheels on the back end of the steer. But the rear body/bed overhang is correspondingly longer, which makes it a little trickier to get between the cars on each side without bending one of them. Better to go to the far end of the lot and park where there is room and walk a bit more, maybe.

You guys do know, right, that 99% of the time when the nice officer/trooper asks you a question such as this ("Can I search your vehicle?") while you're pulled over on the shoulder, that they have zero interest in actually searching your vehicle (it can be a major hassle or totally disgusting, or both, not to mention if anything is found, you're doing paperwork the rest of your shift), they are simply trying to get a read on your demeanor/attitude, see if you get nervous or rattled?

Plus, a little face-to-face time might enable the officer/trooper to do a casual gaze nystagmus test (without having to hold an object in front of your face, simply by moving back and forth a bit - I found the eyes would tend to follow the shiny badge, shiny name-tag or body-cam), get you talking a bit, so the officer gets a sniff of the air around you, maybe your breath... Then it's game on and a full FST followed by Mr. Breathalyzer. Hey, and y'all would be very surprised to know that a lot of cops actually know what pot smoke smells like, just sayin'...

Always enjoyed it when someone turned a routine stop (that would have led only to a quick warning and "have a good day, sir") into an adversarial confrontation, trying to show how much they knew about the law and their rights. Sure, go ahead and give a bored cop a reason to find something to phu*k with you about because you're pissed that you got pulled over for doing 20 over or made an unsafe lane change.

Much friggin' ado about nothin'... Go ahead and refuse the search, it's nothing personal.

Provide you ID, registration and insurance card.

Refuse to consent to a search

State "I do NOT consent to a search of my vehicle"

No matter what they ask or state regarding a search, keep saying that. If they want to get a drug dog, keep your mouth shut other than to state that you do not consent to a search of your vehicle.

Do not answer any other questions

Do not converse with the LEO

Do not argue or interfere with or resist the LEO - comply with simple directions, such as "turn around" or "put your hands on your head".

Do not volunteer anything
Not even a, "tell your mom I said hi"?

Backing is backing. You can't see all that well backing into a parking space. There might be a child in the space that you cannot see, as just one example. Statistics show that roughly 25% of all accidents involve backing maneuvers. Backing is simply more hazardous for most drivers to execute. Reducing the element of hazard involved can lower your chances of accident. So do as little backing as possible.

I agree, backing out of a parking place has its own element of hazard. To reduce this, I creep out very slowly, with my head physically turned to watch the move. There is no denying that the slower you go, the less damage or injury that you can inflict, and it allows other drivers who may be approaching some warning of what's going on. Backing slowly gives you more time to provide the range and time you need to see in all directions.

Some people who have pickup trucks as long as fire engines find it difficult to head into a parking stall without resulting in a cock-eyed parking angle. So their choice may be to back into a stall, having the advantage of articulated wheels on the back end of the steer. But the rear body/bed overhang is correspondingly longer, which makes it a little trickier to get between the cars on each side without bending one of them. Better to go to the far end of the lot and park where there is room and walk a bit more, maybe.
Well I can honestly say I've never seen a person of any age in a parking space. I have seen people open car doors as I was backing into a space, but they show up easily with side mirrors. And I'm surely not backing into any parking space in a hurry.
Parking spaces in lots are the only place I back into as that's where the problem of seeing what's coming is an issue. Especially with my long Suburban that has plenty of length sticking out of the space before I can finally see fully what's coming. I've had numerous close calls where I'm backing out and some idiot decides they can't wait and tries to squeeze between my bumper and the next row of cars.
I had one that didn't make it with my 1 ton work van years ago. It had a backup alarm, and the lady said she didn't see me or hear the beeping alarm either. She said she was "looking for an empty parking spot" so our insurance company refused to pay, and she had to collect against her own insurance for being distracted.
I'll continue to back into parking spaces in lots as it's easier to see what I'm backing into, than to be totally blind backing out into traffic lanes.

So , if only 25% of accidents involve driving in reverse, doesn't that make it more safe? I mean, if 75% of accidents happen going forward than we can reduce the number of accidents by simply driving in reverse 😁

So , if only 25% of accidents involve driving in reverse, doesn't that make it more safe? I mean, if 75% of accidents happen going forward than we can reduce the number of accidents by simply driving in reverse 😁
Statistically speaking, I believe sideways has proven to be the most hazardous accidentially speaking and all. I read it on the Internet. :s0142:

Ya know…. THAT actually makes sense!
All humor aside, backing maneuvers involve less than ONE PERCENT of driving done. The estimate that 25% of all accidents involve backing is on the low side. There are some estimates that it may be as high as 30 to 40%. Fortunately, backing accidents typically are at relatively low speeds. Not at 75 mph on the interstate.

Some businesses with large driven fleets highly discourage employees from backing. Routes are arranged so as to eliminate the need for backing to the extent possible. Accident investigations involving backing up as a cause nearly always turn up some element of negligence on the part of the driver doing the backing. Meaning, they didn't take the time or caution to carefully and physically watch the area being backed into.

ive been in a grand total of two at-fault accidents. both were door scrapes pulling out of parking spots - in reverse.

for whatever thats worth 😝

Well I can honestly say I've never seen a person of any age in a parking space. I have seen people open car doors as I was backing into a space, but they show up easily with side mirrors. And I'm surely not backing into any parking space in a hurry.
Parking spaces in lots are the only place I back into as that's where the problem of seeing what's coming is an issue. Especially with my long Suburban that has plenty of length sticking out of the space before I can finally see fully what's coming. I've had numerous close calls where I'm backing out and some idiot decides they can't wait and tries to squeeze between my bumper and the next row of cars.
I had one that didn't make it with my 1 ton work van years ago. It had a backup alarm, and the lady said she didn't see me or hear the beeping alarm either. She said she was "looking for an empty parking spot" so our insurance company refused to pay, and she had to collect against her own insurance for being distracted.
I'll continue to back into parking spaces in lots as it's easier to see what I'm backing into, than to be totally blind backing out into traffic lanes.
I had an experience like yours, except that the other car was a BMW that backed out of his space into my rear bumper. He BS'ed his way out of responsibility by lying and saying I backed into him, even though it was obvious from the photos I send to my insurance company that he sideswiped his car against me at a high rate of speed. I was fully in the travel lane (private parking lot) when he hit me.

My insurance company paid for his damages, and my bumper (3/4 ton pickup) didn't even know it happened. I assume the insurance company sold me out on some formula trading off expenses, but getting to raise my rates later.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top