JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this subject. When doing a private sale with a stranger, what steps do you take to avoid getting ripped off? Either with counterfeit bills or someone running off with with your money or gun. And making sure they're not a felon. I'm not worried about this group because we have ratings. But there are other Facebook groups where less is known about the person. Any input is appreciated.

Last Edited:
I carry. Legally. EVERY transaction. And I look at ODL/CHL before money and goods exchange hands. Bill of sale for firearms without a CHL. If you have a CHL and show it to me, I'm good with cash and carry.

The obvious things like a public place in a well lit environment should be unmentionable.

So I'm just curious what everyone thoughts are on this this subject. When doing a private sell with a stranger, what steps do you take to avoid getting ripped off? Either with counterfeit bills or someone running off with with your money or gun. And making sure they're not a felon. I'm not not about this group because we have ratings. But there are other Facebook groups where less is knows knows about the person. Any input is appreciated.

Easy... don't sell on an environment that you are not comfortable with.
Or meet them in a very public place like a sporting goods store and if they do not have
a DL AND a CHL, don't sell to them unless you know them personally.
As you said the rating and time in here makes it safer and easier.
Liability is too great anymore to do otherwise.
The only other option is run them through a dealer.............................:/\/

I have a chl but the guy I'm meeting tomorrow doesn't. And I'm meeting in se Portland cause he doesn't have have a car lol. Already said public place and the bill of sale.

No car. First red flag. I ONE TIME tried to meet a guy that was "in between" cars and he made a smart decision that day. He had a fake sling on his arm and after clenching the fist on his "broken arm" when I started talking to him, he relaxed it and told me he had to go get the money from his girlfriend that was "just around the corner". Out of morbid curiosity I actually waited to see who he brought back with him. I figured I had him by 100 pounds and I knew his five or six friends weren't as tough or as fast as my 15+1 friends. He never showed and I left. It was a waste of time.

I have two trained snipers watch from about 200 yards away a trained attack dog hiding under the car in the parking lot next to where we will meet. And I always carry a pair of cocked and locked Hi cap 9mm and a short shotgun in my Duster. Some plate armor and at least my second chance undershirt.

All kidding aside I have bought about a half dozen from various individuals off this group and two other. Meet people in various commercial parking lots and their own homes. I have not had anyone to my house but then I don't sell firearms since I don't buy anything I don't intend on keeping until I pass them on.

I guess I'm just not paranoid enough to worry past my EDC (and the two snipers buddies and the attack dog of course)

Every time I go on a sale never leave my trunk monkey behind

image.jpg

Yeah its not through this group, it's a Facebook private group. I'm selling and he's buying. I'm not worried too much either, just curious on pointers. The no car or chl and area made me question it a little bit.

As previously mentioned, buyer having no car would give me pause. Handy excuse though, "Yeah, I can't meet you outside a police station, you'll have to come where I want.."

I told him since I wasn't from the area I'd pick the public spot near him. Which was 122nd & Powell in SE. I'm not familiar with the area so I'll map it before and see if there is anywhere not not sketchy.

You can call OSP and they will run a private party background check for free. They will ask you buyer and seller names, serial #, and the current location of the firearm.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top