JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The guys above pretty much covered how to do that deed! I just want to say that I buy exclusively off this site or a LGS these days! Still aleart and armed though!

I told him since I wasn't from the area I'd pick the public spot near him. Which was 122nd & Powell in SE. I'm not familiar with the area so I'll map it before and see if there is anywhere not not sketchy.

Locate and meet him at the nearest Gun Shop. That is not the finest meet area. Also tends to be a moderate crime area. Just my opinion.

Meet him at Sportsmans Warehouse or something like that, or the Sherriff's Dept Public Range on 82nd.

I'm glad I'm not you OP. I still haven't SOLD a gun on here. I've bought but not sold. When I tried to sell I had two people interested right off, they both had low/no posts, and zero feedback. One had joined just to respond to the ad. I'd stated plainly in the ad the buyer needed to be a member with a number of posts/ feed backs.

I'd suggest you take a friend with you as he'll most likely have someone bringing him. And Sportsman's DOES sound like a good place, though it's a ways South.

Smj

I have often met in wal- mart parking lots, they have cameras, and I always bring at least one person, only had one deal off of here that made me nervous, met a guy at his house, actually in his yard, I had 3 people with me that day, they all had the same uncomfortable feeling I did, a few weeks later we found out our inhibitions were correct, the dude was a total nut job.

If I'm buying and the deal seems sketchy. I ask them if I can make a quick call to check the serial number on gun. If I'm selling. I'm always packing. The meeting is in the open public area. Always trust your gut instincts. God didn't give them to us so we could ignore them and regret it later.

I told him since I wasn't from the area I'd pick the public spot near him. Which was 122nd & Powell in SE. I'm not familiar with the area so I'll map it before and see if there is anywhere not not sketchy.

There is no "Not Sketchy" in that part of town.
82nd & Powell once upon a time was the Northern border of what is called "Felony Flats", but it's borders have widened considerably of late.

122nd and Powell... You must be talking the Safeway parking lot adjacent the Texaco gas station on the corner. (I grew up in the general area)

It was a working class neighborhood in the 70's and late 80's, then "felony flats" from then on, now the gangsters (and posers) call the entire general area "the numbers" because of the numbered (instead of named) streets... clever dicks, yeah? :rolleyes:

Chances are your buyer lives in one of amazing number of apartments, or subsidized low-income housing complexes in the area. That in and of itself doesn't mean he's a tool, but by all means PLEASE approach this transaction and equip yourself "like you mean it". o_O

Gut and logic goes a long way. Even though forums are anonymous you can still probably get a better feel for someone with a couple years and a couple hundred posts versus someone who joined today just to respond to the ad. I wouldn't necessarily sweat a CHL as I know a lot of legal/responsible gun owners who don't have one. Car ownership seems like an odd disqualifier to me when dealing with someone in an urban area. I'd probably want to see some ID to verify state residency though. Conversely, if a guy shows up with California plates and "left his license in his other pants", that would be a no-sale. As far as a bill of sale goes, I don't mind signing one as a buyer but wouldn't require one as a seller.
One thing that would make me nervous is when the other party shows up with "backup". I haven't had that experience yet but I'd probably call off a deal under that circumstance. There's no need for show of force for a legal transaction.

Obviously, cash is king. No third party out of state checks, etc.

I would not feel at all comfortable meeting someone there. Stomper summed it up quite well. There are lots of decent folk out there but it has mostly degenerated into gangland.

In the immortal words of Monty Python "run away, run away". One of the worst places in town to meet someone who doesn't own a car, and wants to buy a gun.

Everything will be fine. Just get in the van. We have candy and a puppy :) Seriously just go with your gut. Don't be afraid to keep driving or walk away if you don't like what you see.

WE discuss this issue nearly as much as OC of long arms with a lot of good advice but I maintain pre-qualifying before the sale (phone calls, email etc) is the most important first step. Choice of words when one is stressed (such as if they were being disingenuous) is always revealing and the key is to listen for changes to the persons 's 'story'. It may be judgmental but the person not owning a car would be a serious red flag - for a lot of reasons. Not agreeing to a BG check would be another (and the cause for my one and only denial to sell to a person - but there were other 'red flags' as well but I was curious about this person and agreed to meet w/him anyway - very public though and on a Saturday morning) Bottom line (for me anyway) is if a person displays ANY non- mainstream lifestyle elements the numbers on the 'scorecard' start to fall.

I have two trained snipers watch from about 200 yards away a trained attack dog hiding under the car in the parking lot next to where we will meet. And I always carry a pair of cocked and locked Hi cap 9mm and a short shotgun in my Duster. Some plate armor and at least my second chance undershirt.

All kidding aside I have bought about a half dozen from various individuals off this group and two other. Meet people in various commercial parking lots and their own homes. I have not had anyone to my house but then I don't sell firearms since I don't buy anything I don't intend on keeping until I pass them on.

I guess I'm just not paranoid enough to worry past my EDC (and the two snipers buddies and the attack dog of course)

The top part of that post had me thinking of Gecko45 and the original "mall ninja". Had a very good laugh at that one. Only thing that could have made it better is if you said you would have two cocked and locked Hi-Point 9's under your coat because you only carried the best.

As for the original question. First advice is just to use common sense. If something seems off, it probably is. If you don't feel comfortable after you meet, say so and suggest meeting at an FFL to do the exchange. Its also possible to get a private background check form (the same blue form they require non-dealers to use at gun shows in Oregon) and utilize that if you feel it necessary.

I also never or rarely went to FTF meetings alone if I could help it. Get a buddy to come along for the ride. Nice to have someone sitting in the car who you know will have your back.

I used to prefer CHL's when I sold, but it wasn't always the case. If they didn't have one, I generally had a bill of sale ready and wrote down name and address from their ODL. I also usually snapped a photo of their license plate.

Just remember to CYA and use common sense and you will be fine.

First advice is just to use common sense. If something seems off, it probably is. If you don't feel comfortable after you meet, say so and suggest meeting at an FFL to do the exchange.
Yep this is probably the best 'standing' advice about this issue. The last part is exactly what halted my aforementioned deal. I would like to add however nearly ALL of the 'bad' FTF deals I have read about - here and on other forums) have occurred due to the sellers' having overlooked common sense and 'red flags' because of a 'need to sell' - for whatever reason.

I'm able to see the guys Facebook and he's just a kid. Meaning mid twenties lol. Has a girlfriend and a young child in his photos. People have commented on them and he seems like a good dude from what can gather. We've been communicating via Facebook messenger and he's responsive and communicable. I'll be carrying my 45 and he says he'll be alone. Meeting in the safeway parking lot right in front. I'll keep my senses on and thanks for the advice.

I'm planning on going to keiths sporting goods after to buy my new carry gun. So it's out in that that area anyways. Plus the guy is adding $20 for me driving out his way. I'll post when it's all over with the outcome. He says he has a valid ODL and will sign a bill of sale. So I'll verify that and the money before anything.

1.Talk to the person on the phone
2. Circle there car once to get a look at them.
3. Carry a firearm.
4. Great the guy (shake hands)
5. Check his I.d and pl
6. When the trunk opens up stand in such a way to make sure he's in the slow position.(bent over or something )
7. Have the bill I sake written out before and ask for the signature.
8. Take money skip the hundreds (I've done alot of deals where they gave me hundreds. At first I told them no no no eventually i got comfortable and haven't had a problem.
9. Let him get to his car first and leave first.
10. GO BUY ANOTHER GUN

--- oh yeah always meet in a public place never at a residence or in the dark. Also dont go where there is security they will call the cops (happened to me at WalMart once)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top