JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A skid plate might deter some thieves, and drop down running boards might deter others. They are likely going to pick the easier targets. Make yours the hardest to get in your area and maybe you will luck out. Move to a stand your ground state if you want to take them on with lead.

One other thought, if you are lucky enough to approach them in the act. Quickly deflate their tires so they will have a tougher time leaving the area. Good chance they will be in stolen rig anyways and you might help somebody recover their rig.

Bears pray or peppers pray...you can use force to protect property just not LETHAL force unless they try to kill you.
Or, if they are preparing to commit arson, that is also a justification for deadly force in Oregon.

And there are other justifications for using deadly force.

Not saying all. Saying most. That's a lot of effort/risk to put in for a small payment. I've had this happen to 3 different work vehicles in portland in the past few months. They aren't cutting off catalytic converters to fund a hand bag addiction. They are doing it to fund a drug addiction that is now legal in Oregon. And the law abiding/tax paying citizens are the ones who feel the effects of it.
Oregonians keep voting these democrats in, I see no hope for Oregon. Need a change in governing...

That's why I always tie my self-destruct system to my catalytic converter...and never leave anything important in my car.

Artem: BBC Online Visits Artem - How to Blow Up a Car and Other Film  Special Effects

You can give them a good bubblegum kicking though. I once walked up to a guy trying to break into my car in broad daylight. He was so focused he didn't even notice me until I tapped on his shoulder. Told me he accidentally locked his keys in his car. He didn't get to say much after that. I'm sure I broke a few of his ribs.

You can give them a good bubblegum kicking though. I once walked up to a guy trying to break into my car in broad daylight. He was so focused he didn't even notice me until I tapped on his shoulder. Told me he accidentally locked his keys in his car. He didn't get to say much after that. I'm sure I broke a few of his ribs.
Sometimes the old ways are the best ways.
Or as I prefer to look at it - Saving PPB resources all the while solving the situation as economically and expediently as possible.
But then again - I've been working on my crazy-old-bearded-monster-guy with the blinding flashlight who WILL chase you out of the neighborhood with a stick for years now.
But it doesn't work if you're just 'acting' crazy. Gotta commit to the role. :s0033:

There's been a rash of catalytic converter thefts in my complex lately. From what I understand though, I can't really protect my property with a gun. I'd have to go confront them and then see a weapon to draw and then defend myself. So I guess I'm supposed to sit inside and call the police while they saw away. While I'm not looking for conflict that seems pretty lame. I need the vehicle for work. Something these people clearly aren't worried about. Whatever. Not worth doing jail time over a car. :confused:
Seems to me that any tools suitable for cutting apart an exhaust system would put me in fear of grievous bodily harm or death if I were menaced with them.

Just thinking out loud... :s0092:

I've been out of the exhaust business for 5 years now, but for at least 10 years before retiring, we had to report EVERY sale of a catalytic converter, EVERY disposal of same, along with who bought it - to the Feds. And not just anyone could buy cats. The people who bought our cats had to be licensed by the Feds, and report all of their purchases and sales to the feds. (They might as well have been selling guns). What I'm getting at is that the cops could pretty easily find out who is selling cats, without having an exhaust shop. If they wanted to! You can't just sell cats to the neighborhood junk dealer. It all came about from unscrupulous mechanics / exhaust shops selling people new cats for their cars that didn't NEED them. The Feds also required car manufacturers to warranty exhaust systems on new cars for a long time, and at the same time, put the brakes on replacement of cats on older cars. So - there's more to this than some neighborhood kids theiving cats. Someone who is licensed and reporting to the government is receiving nice near-new cats, knowing full-well that they're stolen.

There's been a rash of catalytic converter thefts in my complex lately. From what I understand though, I can't really protect my property with a gun. I'd have to go confront them and then see a weapon to draw and then defend myself. So I guess I'm supposed to sit inside and call the police while they saw away. While I'm not looking for conflict that seems pretty lame. I need the vehicle for work. Something these people clearly aren't worried about. Whatever. Not worth doing jail time over a car. :confused:
Remote start that thing. See if they can enjoy the spoils with no fingerprints.

I am guessing that if they are crawling under a vehicle they are not carrying a firearm. If they are carrying, it is deep in a pocket as it would hinder crawling under a vehicle if in the waist band and/or they risk it falling out onto the ground.

They probably have only have a cheap jack (Harbor Freight, stolen, or garage sale) and a battery powered reciprocating saw.

If you do catch them in the middle of the act, I would bet that one of the boat air horns that you can buy at your local store (or on line), or even a blast of bear spray would send them running.

Although I do dream of splattering them with paint balls, or breaking knee caps with a baseball bat.

It sucks and I am sorry you are living this....

Cat conv. theft is off the charts again. news showed thieves in pdx area on surveillance cam , it took them 70 seconds . They park next to the target SUV . exit their truck and slide right under targeted car with saws-all .no jack needed . they come back next month and target the same rig after it gets a new converter . work place and apt parking lots get hit hard.

Best spray is illegal to use on people..
Fyi. Not that i disagree with it. Im all for it. Pepper balls, marbles etc, booby trapping and everything else.
I hate these people.
My brother (who has his own struggles) was in his own car a week or two ago and had his cat was stolen from his car WHILE HE WAS IN IT!
He said he heard something but it wasn't even loud enough to give it much thought. They guy parked next to him and he thought the noise was coming from the other vehicle. So be weary.
Im a big fan of cameras and insurance. And also doing whatever you want to these people. I see the politicians and the police as the problem. They aught to just let us take care of our own shjt however we see fit. They want to play stupid games they should win stupid prizes.
Really i blame the police its time for them to straight up just turn a blind eye and sympathize with the good guy for change and even buy you a coffee for helping the home team.
Im holding out hope for cops, but its not looking good. They really need to take a vocal stand.
I have a TON of respect for these officers who are publicly vocal and buck the narratives.

Best spray is illegal to use on people..
Fyi. Not that i disagree with it. Im all for it. Pepper balls, marbles etc, booby trapping and everything else.
I hate these people.
My brother (who has his own struggles) was in his own car a week or two ago and had his cat was stolen from his car WHILE HE WAS IN IT!
He said he heard something but it wasn't even loud enough to give it much thought. They guy parked next to him and he thought the noise was coming from the other vehicle. So be weary.
Im a big fan of cameras and insurance. And also doing whatever you want to these people. I see the politicians and the police as the problem. They aught to just let us take care of our own shjt however we see fit. They want to play stupid games they should win stupid prizes.
Really i blame the police its time for them to straight up just turn a blind eye and sympathize with the good guy for change and even buy you a coffee for helping the home team.
Im holding out hope for cops, but its not looking good. They really need to take a vocal stand.
I have a TON of respect for these officers who are publicly vocal and buck the narratives.
And no i don't hate cops.. Im not antifa, or BLM ( i don't see races only people, i don't care what color peoples baby's are etc.) I'm just saying, your either part of the problem or part of the solution. I firmly believe believe cops WANT to solve the problem. I believe lots if people want to help them. Me included.
I just don't want people reading too much into my police comment.
:)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads