JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I've been trying to get a grasp of the carry laws, self defense laws, etc. I keep thinking of a scenario that I can't see a solution.

What do you do if someone comes on your property and starts trying to break into your car? You go outside, yell at him, etc. and he ignores you and continues on trying to break into the car. At that point, you can't shoot him, so what do you do? Do you try to pepper spray him? Physically grapple with him? Hit him with a bat? Throw rocks at him? if you do any of these things, are you the aggressor? if he then fights back and you shoot him, are you up for murder because you were the aggressor? What if he has 100 pounds or more on you and looks like Arnold? You probably don't want to get to close to him. Do you give up, call the police and hope they get there before he's done?

Sorry, somewhat of a brain dump here. I guess I don't know what I'd do, probably keep my distance, yell at him a couple of times then just call the police and wait. Seems like there should be something more one could do.

Legally you can offer him a soda for the road and a "have a nice day, thanks for stealing my car, come back again". I am pretty sure that is still legal to do.

You "can" defend defend your property any way you are able, however you "may" defend your property only as the law allows which I'm pretty sure it almost doesn't.

You gotta also remember that they have rights too. And if you violate their rights they can (and probably WILL) call the police on you. Then they will get an attorney and sue you.

Pepper spray? = Assault
Baseball bat? = Assault
Grapple? = Assault
Touch them? = Assault

They know it and that is why they are so brazen and do it.

Even if they are caught, they get a slap on the wrist because the jails are too full with "violent" criminals.

Unfortunately, you are in a no-win situation. Not just "YOU" personally, but the victim in general......

Its a brave new world we live in when the crooks have all the rights and the citizens who are victims become felons for protecting what's theirs! :mad:

Last Edited:
I've been trying to get a grasp of the carry laws, self defense laws, etc. I keep thinking of a scenario that I can't see a solution.

What do you do if someone comes on your property and starts trying to break into your car? You go outside, yell at him, etc. and he ignores you and continues on trying to break into the car. At that point, you can't shoot him, so what do you do? Do you try to pepper spray him? Physically grapple with him? Hit him with a bat? Throw rocks at him? if you do any of these things, are you the aggressor? if he then fights back and you shoot him, are you up for murder because you were the aggressor? What if he has 100 pounds or more on you and looks like Arnold? You probably don't want to get to close to him. Do you give up, call the police and hope they get there before he's done?

Sorry, somewhat of a brain dump here. I guess I don't know what I'd do, probably keep my distance, yell at him a couple of times then just call the police and wait. Seems like there should be something more one could do.

Hop in the car from the other side, then you will have a lot more options.

This day and age, if he trips on a rock or cuts himself while on your property you will be prosecuted for not making it safer for him to commit a felony. You may be totally in the right but progressive attorneys have pretty much ensured that the law does not protect the lawful anymore.

The first thing I would do is invest in concealed carry insurance and avail yourself of any and all of the materials and resources they provide. Heaven forbid you need it, but you'll be glad to have it when you do.

Hop in the car from the other side, then you will have a lot more options.
Hey bro, while you're stealing my car, mind going to McD's? I'm starving. I hear they got drive in movies, too

Proceed to subtly, but suggestively caress their thigh and hands

This day and age, nothing. The laws all seem to protect the rights of the crims. Your better off telling him to have a nice day.. i mean.. after all its just property.. cant have a poor, defenseless crim injured over that..:rolleyes:

Another idea - let the dog out. I have no trespassing and beware of dog signs, as recommended my home owners insurance. At least if my 120lb dog didn't make him run, and he got attacked, my insurance would cover it.

Lawn sprinklers, stink bombs, strobe lights, blaring foreign or barney music. That might help them decide to burgle eleswhere. Just have to find a car alarm that does such things.

Our minds can torture us with scenarios that, practically speaking, will never occur. When you shout "Don't move!" 99.9% will run away employing Olympic quality strides. They want stuff. They do not want your stuff in particular. Someone else's stuff will do nicely.

Make your property as un inviting as possible, if it's too much "Work" to get at your stuff, they will go elsewhere and burgle someone else's stuff! Large well kept prickly bushes, lots of large rocks, and other stuff that makes your property a challenge to navigate at night! Don't leave valuables in your car!

When I left washington sections of Duvall were still quite secluded, are you in a secluded area? Do you or a friendly neighbor own a back hoe?

Unfortunately, these days the legal system has been weaponized against law abiding citizens. That makes it tough if you live in an urban or suburban area. Out in the hinterlands where I live, it's a little easier to deal with that scenario because there's nobody within hearing distance. ;)

Status

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR