JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There's been a rash of catalytic converter thefts in my complex lately. From what I understand though, I can't really protect my property with a gun. I'd have to go confront them and then see a weapon to draw and then defend myself. So I guess I'm supposed to sit inside and call the police while they saw away. While I'm not looking for conflict that seems pretty lame. I need the vehicle for work. Something these people clearly aren't worried about. Whatever. Not worth doing jail time over a car. :confused:

There's been a rash of catalytic converter thefts in my complex lately. From what I understand though, I can't really protect my property with a gun. I'd have to go confront them and then see a weapon to draw and then defend myself. So I guess I'm supposed to sit inside and call the police while they saw away. While I'm not looking for conflict that seems pretty lame. I need the vehicle for work. Something these people clearly aren't worried about. Whatever. Not worth doing jail time over a car. :confused:
You just need to invest in airbags. That way you can drop it to the floor. No access to the catalytic converter. Or straight pipe it..... dam DEQ.

Last Edited:
auto_x2_v2.jpg

Remember this, from the 90s?

Honda-Accord-Catalytic-Converter-Theft_20.jpg images.jpeg-46.jpg

Sadly this is what the voters have said they wanted. As tempting as it is of course to go out and go after the scum you are putting yourself at HUGE risk if you do. A LOT of them will be armed. If you shoot one better make damn sure you were justified. Even then many localities will try to come after you. So is it worth it? Only you can decide. There is insurance of course. You can also have a shop make the unit harder to steal by securing it. Sadly this is what the people have said they wanted so we have to live with it.

get yourself a DLSR and go out there and take pictures.
Not like the cops are going to do anything with it.... they are more than likely homeless people/tweakers who don't have the funds to pay the citations/are worth the time for a prosecution that won't take place even if they are caught. Welcome to Oregon....

Not like the cops are going to do anything with it.... they are more than likely homeless people/tweakers who don't have the funds to pay the citations/are worth the time for a prosecution that won't take place even if they are caught. Welcome to Oregon....
The cops will work with solid evidence. Youd be surprised a lot of people who are thieves these days are not all homeless tweekers.

Your going out and confronting the thief may remove any chance of using a self-defense claim in the aftermath of a shooting. Far better to call 911 and be good wiitness and then insurance take care of the cost if they actually get the converter off your car.

Last Edited:
Two words.... Baseball bat. Well technically that's three. Gee I don't know officer, who would leave a pair of broken knee caps in the parking lot? Crazy I know, right? :cool:

The cops will work with solid evidence. Youd be surprised a lot of people who are thieves these days are not all homeless tweekers.
Not saying all. Saying most. That's a lot of effort/risk to put in for a small payment. I've had this happen to 3 different work vehicles in portland in the past few months. They aren't cutting off catalytic converters to fund a hand bag addiction. They are doing it to fund a drug addiction that is now legal in Oregon. And the law abiding/tax paying citizens are the ones who feel the effects of it.

Not saying all. Saying most. That's a lot of effort/risk to put in for a small payment. I've had this happen to 3 different work vehicles in portland in the past few months. They aren't cutting off catalytic converters to fund a hand bag addiction. They are doing it to fund a drug addiction that is now legal in Oregon. And the law abiding/tax paying citizens are the ones who feel the effects of it.
as opposed to doing nothing... ? The laws protect the criminal, you cant simultaneously confront them and defend yourself if they attack. If all you do is call 911 at least offer some evidence. I dont know what else to suggest.

Paintball gun? Thats how I keep trash pandas out of my back yard. My friend woke up to her car on cinderblocks last week. I felt terrible for her. Took the wheels and the converter. It was like a late 80s Volvo too

Garage or inside a fence on property an option? Removing it from street access is seemingly the #1 way to help avoid this. That or go cut your own catalytic converter out of your own car, straight exhaust pipe a replacement section and run without it...

Since the law abiding are handicapped in our response, we are hostage to the laws which at this point protect the lawless more than the law abiding. If you lived very remotely where neighbors could not hear/see what took place there would be other options, but in any type of urban or suburban setting, those are pretty much off the table.

I've heard of someone who confronted someone who had broke into their car and they proceeded to beat their teeth out with the tail cap end of a long mag flashlight before the criminal finally was able to enter the criminal's car parked down the street and drive off (sans teeth). But I wouldn't advise risking bringing a mag flashlight to what could potentially become a gunfight and at the end of the day we have to ask ourselves, what risk are we willing to take to deal with it ourselves.

Last Edited:
Good information. I think i'm going to invest in some kind of bullhorn or something that I can blast off if I see something going on. Hopefully they scamper off. Not worth it to interfere. It's inside a lot with patroling security (first response, LOL) - about as secure as I'm going to get in this complex. No garages. I do like the idea of a paintball gun, but worry they'd think they were getting hit with something else and respond harshly. As much as it pains me to let insurance take care of this kinda thing I'll just sound the alarm if I see anything and call the police.

As much as it pains me to let insurance take care of this kinda thing I'll just sound the alarm if I see anything and call the police.
I kinda want to see the youtube of that.... wait till they are under the car. Better yet, put the bullhorn under the car and set up with a remote....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top